Default south from cascade locks

I plan on hiking south out of Cascade Locks the first week of May this year, wondering if anyone local to that area can give me an idea of trail conditions to expect in early May.
    This will be a 4-5 day hike, perhaps down to the Timberline Lodge area, although I'm guessing snow could still be an issue there...
    Thanks for your help!

Not local but I'll chime in anyway. First week of May I would expect snow at least in patches above 4k ft. Some mush.

Not from there either, but have spent some time in the Cascades up and down the range. This has been a pretty good snow year so Dogwood is right, expect snow at 4,000' and up in most places. I have been in those mountains (and out on the Peninsula) just before Memorial Day several times over the past few decades and run into significant snow depth at 2,500' when there has been heavy snow during the winter, which required snowshoes. You may want to find a local Ranger Station and ask them/

Images

Check out postholers snow page. Big snow in Oregon. I would expect snow as soon as you climb out of Cascade Locks. You will definitely have it around Mount Hood and if you are heading as far as Mt Jefferson then you are in for snowarama after Ollalie Lake. In 2011 there was still massive snow in August and that section was more difficult the Sierra with almost 100% snow. I can't imagine what it would be like in early to mid May. IF you are comfortable pending days in snow then you will have the trail to yourself. If snow makes you the least bit skittish then find another area. Here is a photo from the Mt Jefferson area taken on August 7th just to give you a taste.

image.jpeg

Yup. Consider PCT SOBOers typically don't start until June often mid June. Even then navigation across snow is pretty much guaranteed.

Don't get into that low/normal/high snowfall yr mindset and apply it universally to a 2700 mile entire U.S. west coast hike either. WA state experiences a higher precipitation level at a higher latitude with a lower angle to the sun than say Cali in the Sierras. It's not just about elevation either. PCT is more shaded in WA too resulting in lower rates of snowmelt. Someone say GPS?

My best guess, for an early May hike, in a year like this one, heading south from the Columbia River Gorge, along the PCT, is that you will not encounter any snow at all until about five miles into your hike out of the gorge (depending on the trail you choose - Eagle Creek doesn't gain altitude quite a fast as the official PCT). And then, in a year like this year, you will be hiking pretty much continuously in snow for the next month. If that projection is a bit too optimistic for your taste, I've generally found the rangers in Oregon to be significantly more cautious than I am when it comes to expected hikability of Cascade trails.

If you want spectacular 40 mile-ish hikes in Oregon in May:
    I would recommend first, the Rogue Rive Trail (42 miles) which is best in May because it's not to hot yet.
    There are also a couple pretty good Oregon Coast Trail hikes from Seaside to Manzanita or further south from Bandon to Port Orford.
    In Washington, the Olympic Coast is also a fantastic early season option.

This year, anything in the mountains is going to be pretty much endless spring snow until probably July.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thanks for the words! I am thinking I may be a little optimistic starting this early, so I'll continue to research and see what I find for trail conditions south of the gorge.
    I've lots of experience with hiking and travel in snow an cold climate...but...that is not what I'm looking for on this trip!!!

++ New Posts ++