WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO ME & NH Base Layer Question

Leaving Katahdin Spring Campground SOBO on 3 June. My question is about hanging on to Base Layer (ultra-light long-john bottom and top) as well as a ultra-light down jacket through to New Hampshire.

Once through NH, mailing it out (about 1 July) until Autumn in the Smokies / North Georgia Mountains.

The kit weighs almost nothing so no worries about carry it. I just want to know if it would be prudent to carry for the first 4 weeks on a SOBO in the 100 Mile-Wilderness and the Whites in NH.

Thanks in advance.

Images

It would absolutely be in your best interests to carry it - Nights can get pretty chilly in June and the weather has a way of changing fast. We have had unusual weather so far this year. Could be a really warm June, but it would still be in your best interests to carry the long johns and UL light down jacket through NH.

Those items are always in my pack for Maine, even in July and August. All it takes is some fast-moving weather to swoop down from Canada and the temps drop real fast. The long johns also help with bug protection from the mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    It would absolutely be in your best interests to carry it - Nights can get pretty chilly in June and the weather has a way of changing fast. We have had unusual weather so far this year. Could be a really warm June, but it would still be in your best interests to carry the long johns and UL light down jacket through NH.

Those items are always in my pack for Maine, even in July and August. All it takes is some fast-moving weather to swoop down from Canada and the temps drop real fast. The long johns also help with bug protection from the mosquitoes.
    Rat, thanks for the valued opinion! I was thinking exactly the same thing, just needed it validated. Being UL, it takes up no room and hardly any weight and would be small insurance. Thanks again!

Just curious, what long johns are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    Just curious, what long johns are you using?
    HDLV, I'm not a long-john kind of guy. I would rather be cold than wear them BUT Smartwool Merina wool are different. They aren't scratchy, they wick moisture away and are rugged and comfortable. Everything your Grandpa's long-johns aren't. There are different thicknesses offered. I use the lightest and are warm enough for me. Have worn them down to -15 and they did great all the while I over over heated.

Here's the link. Also read the reviews. Available at REI too. The sizes are true to what you currently buy.

Top: http://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-n...-crew-sw0np705
    Bottom: http://www.smartwool.com/shop/men-cl...ariationId=001

DISCLAIMER: The base-layer male model on the SmartWool website IS NOT me.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post

Exactly this. It's amazing how fast a cold night can move in. After all, it's New England. If you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Great advice from Water Rat...spent many years in Northern Maine hiking and kayak camping and 30 somethin nights are a good bet. We spent a memorable night in mid June on the shore of Lobster Lake after a day of near 80's we got "swooped" on (Water Rats image) and saw 34 by 3AM. Not too bad since we got up, built a campfire on the edge of the lake and watched one of the most amazing sunrises I can remember...and then once the sun came up, grabbed some shut eye! Have a great hike!!
    "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars." - Casey Kasem

Images

Quote Originally Posted by plodalong View Post
    Great advice from Water Rat...spent many years in Northern Maine hiking and kayak camping and 30 somethin nights are a good bet. We spent a memorable night in mid June on the shore of Lobster Lake after a day of near 80's we got "swooped" on (Water Rats image) and saw 34 by 3AM. Not too bad since we got up, built a campfire on the edge of the lake and watched one of the most amazing sunrises I can remember...and then once the sun came up, grabbed some shut eye! Have a great hike!!
    I swear I had an alibi... It wasn't me - I was framed!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Balido View Post
    Rat, thanks for the valued opinion! I was thinking exactly the same thing, just needed it validated. Being UL, it takes up no room and hardly any weight and would be small insurance. Thanks again!
    You betcha! Have a safe and wonderful hike! Maine and NH are rugged, but they will both repay you with their amazing beauty.

All, thanks for the invaluable input. I can't wait. Safe travels to everyone!

Mt Washington has seen snow durning every month of the year. You never know what to expect except a beautiful hike regaurdless of the weather! Just be prepared and you will have a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by millernb603 View Post
    Mt Washington has seen snow durning every month of the year. You never know what to expect except a beautiful hike regaurdless of the weather! Just be prepared and you will have a blast!
    Thanks. No stranger to inclement weather here but have never been to ME (NH yes)

++ New Posts ++