WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Through Hiking Hammock Sleep Systems

Hey guys. I have a question for all you through hikers that use hammocks. I currently go with a Warbonnet system, That is a Blackbird hammock (2 lbs. 10 oz.), a 3 season Yeti under quilt ( 1b. 2 oz.), and a 3 season top quilt ( 1lb. 12 oz.). Total weight, appx. 5 lbs. 8 oz. As weighty as these items are I am more concerned about the amount of room they take up in my ULA Circuit pack.
    I can get the Circuit packed for a three day trip with all that, food, water and the extras weighing in at about 25 lbs, but there's not much room left. I know whatever I use, this space will be an issue, I was just wondering what you prefer for your long distance hikes. I assume you would be mailing these items back home anyway at some point as the weather warms up. I'm heading to Shenandoah for a section hike, Front Royal to Waynesboro at the end of April. Got my eye on a through hike maybe next year. Just wondering what you guys do.
    My YouTube Channel

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. -John Muir

Images

I have the same set-up, WBBB 1.7 dbl, Yeti and Momba and Maccat spinul tarp total 4 lbs 12 oz. I use a sea to summit event compression sack (4.3 oz) for the TQ and UQ and use my Circut. My tarp goes in the mesh pocket on the outside to keep things dry inside. The pack is full when I'm leaving town with 5 days of food but is very doable. Hammock, tarp, TQ/UQ are more bulky than and heavier than my Protrail, Xtherm and HG quilt however, the flexibiliy of the hammock and the better nights sleep works for me on the AT.

My 20* phoenix, 20* burrow, and dutchware single layer fit in my 45L pack. I keep my hex tarp and suspension in the outside mesh pocket. I keep my quilts in a 13L sea to summit waterproof roll top stuff sack. Circuits are pretty large. Play around with packing it and you should be all set.

I will say this setup is much bulkier than my tarp, pad, quilt setup but completely do able. I guess it depends on your other gear. The only other things on the inside of my pack are my extra clothes, .9l cookpot, and food bag.

I can fit 5 days of food and then my pack is full.

I'm thinking about getting a circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    My 20* phoenix, 20* burrow, and dutchware single layer fit in my 45L pack. I keep my hex tarp and suspension in the outside mesh pocket. I keep my quilts in a 13L sea to summit waterproof roll top stuff sack. Circuits are pretty large. Play around with packing it and you should be all set.

I will say this setup is much bulkier than my tarp, pad, quilt setup but completely do able. I guess it depends on your other gear. The only other things on the inside of my pack are my extra clothes, .9l cookpot, and food bag.

I can fit 5 days of food and then my pack is full.

I'm thinking about getting a circuit.
    Thanks for the help guys. I got my Circuit a few years back and have taken it on several multiple night trips. Can't recommend it highly enough. The base weight is 2 lbs. 10 oz. still a little heavy but pretty tough pack overall. Very comfortable. I love it!
    My YouTube Channel

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. -John Muir

I have the ULA Ohm and a WBBB 1.1DL. The weight of your Yeti seems high? Mine is 12.5 oz without a stuff sac. It goes in the main pack trash compactor bag with the TQ then clothes. Hammock sits on top of compactor bag with tarp when dry, otherwise (as mentioned above)tarp goes on the outer side of the pack. Food bag goes on top to press down on everything. I am amazes that the stove, water treatment (Sawyer squeeze), Toilety sac and odds and ends all fit into side pockets and hip pockets. This doesn't even include the external mesh pocket on the back. Be creative with the Circuit and try to utilize all the volume provided, not just the main compartment. Also, play with the side compression rope. I am amazed that when I think it's full these still can cinch down. The Circuit is a great pack and it's suppose to actually hold a bear canister versus other options.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

++ New Posts ++