WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Noravirus Outbreak in Georgia?

A friend in Georgia told me local news is reporting a noravirus outbreak in Georgia.

Me and a few family members were going to hike the Georgia section next week. What does this mean to us? I'm wondering if we should find a different section, or if we're fine as long as we use basic sanitary precautions. Feels like walking into a timebomb.

::nogray

To be clear, the outbreak is in Georgia, along the trail.

I'd just avoid shelters and any high traffic spots....filter water...maybe add drop off bleach also? I'm no expert..just my .02....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be fine with basic precautions. Don't shake hands with anyone, don't take food from a common source that has other people's hands in it, avoid the privies and shelters. Last part shouldn't be hard since every shelter is likely to be completely full right now.

Why would you want to take your family on the trail in Georgia in March/April?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Why would you want to take your family on the trail in Georgia in March/April?
    Gotta second this.

What are you thinking?

Avoiding norovirus is simple, stay away from other people, dont touch things they touc
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-25-2016 at 10:48.

I have been in Franklin for several weeks and have heard of nothing, repeat nothing of Noro south of here. In recent days, I have heard (un-confirmed, repeat, un-comfirmed) of folks getting ill just before the Smokies, like around Fontana Dam. Concerned folks should contact the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry for more information. As to the question "Why would you want to take your family on the Trail in Georgia in March/April, the answer is simple: The weather in Georgia in late March and April is usually glorious.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I'd just avoid shelters and any high traffic spots....
    In my experience, this might prove difficult! I can't remember a single campsite, shelter, or hostel in GA that wasn't packed to the gills in March, and April 1 is the most popular start date for thru hikes. The good news is that if god forbid someone does catch noro you have plenty of options to get off of the trail and into a hotel (not a hiker hostel!)

Follow everyone else's advice but I'd also recommend carrying hand wipes to clean up thoroughly before snacks and meals. Don't touch ANYTHING, not even the trees haha.

Images

I got it last year. I did everything proper ie treated water, stayed in tent, ate at tent site. So I say if it is out there you will get it. I have taken my family to hike Georgia 6 times during spring break. I can say 50 to 75% of the folks on the trail in Georgia in spring are section hikers. There is just an air about the trail at that time of year. I say go for it. enjoy. BUT be sure to take plenty of pepto just in case. Their are bail out places everyday in case you do get sick. PS I have heard that alcohol hand sanitizer does not work for Noro. Not sure if that is a fact. So be sure to bring good old soap and a wash basin to wash your hands a good solid 2-3 min with soap and water.

Unless something changed, the outbreak was/is in the Smoky Mts, with the Fontana shelter thought to be the epicenter. The frequent posters on Trail journals haven't said much or anything about it, so it's limited or dissipated by now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hand sanitizer doesn't work on Noro. Use soap and water to wash with.

It's my nephew, his father, and grandfather. It's our first section hike. We started to do the Smokies, but even though we tried to reserve 30 days out, there wasn't enough room at the shelters.

This Noro outbreak is getting to be an annual event, it seems.

More exposure in a mall than the trail. I just returned from a week in Georgia and did not see a problem. A lot of north bounders and you can bet the shelters/water holes will have a lot of people around them at night. Still, I did not detect any sicknesses, except from the hikers carrying too much. They were sick and tired of the packs.
    If you faint in the face of adversity then your faith is indeed small--Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by nogray View Post
    A friend in Georgia told me local news is reporting a noravirus outbreak in Georgia.

Me and a few family members were going to hike the Georgia section next week. What does this mean to us? I'm wondering if we should find a different section, or if we're fine as long as we use basic sanitary precautions. Feels like walking into a timebomb.

::nogray
    stay away from shelters, privies, and hostels

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    You should probably do this regardless of any health concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    You should probably do this regardless of any health concerns.
    i've seen hikers sit on the top of a picnic table at a shelter then a little while later a hiker sits down and puts a bagel where the azz was and spread p-nut butter on the bagel. this is how you get sick

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Too many people on the trail. Time for real quotas.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    And picnic tables.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++