WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Aqua blaze

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Aqua blaze

He guys,

i was was wondering where you would aqua blaze in Virginia?

like, getting off the trail, and picking it back up further down.

It starts in Waynesboro, there are a bunch of outfitters there who can help with it. It runs either the full or partial length of Shenandoah depending on how you want to do it. I don't know a ton about it since I didn't go on my thru. What I would strongly recommend from watching others is don't plan on doing it for sure, ask the local outfitters if it's a good time to go when you get there. Last year the river was low around the time I walked through and all the outfitters were telling people not to do it. A fair amount went anyway and almost all I heard from had a bad time. Current so dead it was faster to get out and walk, hanging up canoes and shredding rafts on rocks, etc, most people bailed out by Luray part way through.

You can also aqua blaze in Virginia using the James River. Exit the A.T. at Bearwallow Gap (Va. 43) then hitch / shuttle / walk to Buchanan. You can paddle from Buchanan to the James River Foot Bridge. The take-out on that section is on the north bank of the river just prior to the Snowden Dam and right at the AT crossing of US 501 / Va. 130 and Hercules Road. As to the paddling, it is a very scenic part of the river as it goes around then cuts through the Blue Ridge. Beautiful views with frequent Class I - II rapids, and an arguable Class III (Balcony Falls).

Journal Entries

It it possible to aqua blaze SoBo though a section of MA and CT on the Hoositonic <SP> River which is frequently kayaked, however I have never heard of someone aqua blazing this section.

Good thread. Has anyone paddled the Shenandoahs? How long did it take? I have been playing with the idea of paddling the park and then hitching back up to hike it as well. I'm heading sobo in June.

Not an expert on the subject but I've heard the other popular aqua-blaze is on the Delaware, parallel to the AT in New Jersey. Lots of kayaks on the river the day I crossed into DWG southbound.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Whenever I hear 'aqua blaze', I think of a trail that's blazed with aqua paint, like this one.

Aqua blazes by Kevin Kenny, on Flickr
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++