WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping etiquette question

Daughter and I have started section hiking the At. Last year was just day trips and one overnight where we stayed in a shelter. This year planning some multiple night trips and figure instead of the shelters we will be using some of the campsites listed in AWOL's guide. (I realize there will be plenty of other sites available but these have reliable water sources listed). The question is, if we arrive at one of these sites and someone is already there do we 1) just start setting up (assuming there is room), 2) ask the people already there if they mind if we stay or 3) say hi, refill water and move on?

Images

It would be polite to ask. Say "Would you mind If we set up over there?" They have no right to refuse you, but the answer will tell you if you chose to move on or not.

The campsites listed will probably accommodate multiple tents especially if you are talking southern sections. It was tough, being from Wyoming, having people set up near to me but on the AT it is common. But, there is nothing wrong with with a courtesy, "do you mind."
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

It depends on how big the site is and how many are already there. Some sites can handle a few tents spaced a decent distance apart, others are only big enough for one tent or two set up right on top of each other.

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing how big the site is or if anyone might be there before hand and showing up late in the day when there are no other options can be a problem. It also seems these sites are in big demand by thru hikers who want to "push on a few extra miles while it's still light out". On the other hand, there are usually plenty of tent sites in the immediate vicinity of shelters and you have all the amenities like privy, picnic table and water.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think it's pretty much a given that any tent site on the AT is open to all, provided that there is available space and that no local regulations concerning the number of people that can legally camp together are being broken. I think most people camping on the AT will reasonably expect to share any established site, especially one that is advertised in maps and guidebooks. (Anyone who excepts to have such a site all to themselves may be in for a surprise...).

With that being said, certainly it is polite to ask first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mike View Post
    It would be polite to ask. Say "Would you mind If we set up over there?" They have no right to refuse you, but the answer will tell you if you chose to move on or not.
    I like this answer.

Journal Entries

Often small campsites, but you have no way of knowing from guide.
    Dont ever get heart set on a specific place just because in guide
    Some are occupied......
    Some you never find.....dont exist or minor reroute bypassed them.

Only a small part of established campsites or good areas appear in the guide. Its some option, but nowhere near inclusive. Nor is it supposed to be. Thats not the purpose.

Not uncommon to see many tents on horrible sloped ground near a shelter when 1/4 mile ahead on trail is a great flat area ..not on guide page.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-23-2016 at 21:45.

FYI - if you're inclined, the Guthook AT ap lists tent capacity per site, and lists more sites than the AT guidebook in my experience.

If the person already set up has a Rambo knife and a big gun strapped to his leg, and his Pit Bull continues to lunge at you in between bites of skin on venison. You might consider moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    If the person already set up has a Rambo knife and a big gun strapped to his leg, and his Pit Bull continues to lunge at you in between bites of skin on venison. You might consider moving on.
    lol, already figured to move on if get either end of the spectrum, the above or a campsite filled with college kids who carried in a keg (though may accept a brew before moving on).
    Thanks for all the responses. Had already planned on asking polite but was curious on what was considered the general accepted method.
    Heading out now to do a day hike from the MOC to the DWG. Love the weather this March

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Also I would pass up on a good site just because there's no water source. Some of the best sites, with great views are up on the ridges with no water.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Also I would pass up on a good site just because there's no water source. Some of the best sites, with great views are up on the ridges with no water.
    Just as an observation, did you mean "wouldn't"?

I usually find sites near water attract more people and fill up faster than dry campsites, which for me make the dry sites more attractive if weather is not a concern and I can carry a few liters of water.

Journal Entries
    Images

I see that you are a section hiker.

With that in mind, I would note that conventions may be different depending on where you are hiking, and at what time of year you are hiking. And with whether a site is an officially designated place or just a good place to camp.

There are a number of inviting "unofficial" but legal and inviting sites along the AT in NH (and many, many more in the surrounding National Forest) where etiquette suggests that you don't look to share a camping area with another party-- or even ask. But rather respect thier space.

Just food for thought.

Journal Entries

Ask if it is close to their set up, or if all you see is close to their set up you can alternatively ask if their is any other flat ground nearby. One time I get a answer yes just down that pathway that they discovered after they set up and were too tired to move. They were set up in this damp dirt and the site they found, which I got was much better and with a lake view.

Also in main AT bubble travel, try not to have your tent touch the next.

My best site ever was up on a ridge (Sinking Creek Mtn, VA). I carried water up there because I knew I would probably not get off the ridge before nightfall. Camping away from shelters is not just for those who want to get in a few more miles. Some of us never (or rarely) stay at shelters, assuming dispersed camping is allowed. I will fill up my excess water containers late in the day so that I have as many options as possible for picking a site. This came in handy last fall when I was doing a weekend overnight trip. This trail had designated sites scattered all along the trail that followed a river. As evening was approaching, every site I encountered was already claimed so I kept going. As the sun was going down I finally came to an unoccupied site. It had a nice view of the river, but no water (the river was down a long steep embankment and not accessible). But since I had brought my own water, I was set. Had I not found an available site with a view, I would have just walked out into the woods and set up my tent (it was NF land so you were not required to camp at the designated places).

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    It was tough, being from Wyoming, having people set up near to me but on the AT it is common. But, there is nothing wrong with with a courtesy, "do you mind."
    I feel crowded if I can even see another tent or camper within view of my campsite, even if it's a mile away.

Last year on the at/lt in Vermont we came up to a shelter and someone originally from the Midwest was there with his wife and that was it. We planned to camp further ahead to begin with but he asked us what our plans were as they were shelter hopping and wouldn't mind it all to themselves. So we continued on and just as the sun was setting a stinky southbounder came around and asked if the shelter was full. We said absolutely not. Hiked with the sb the next day and he said those people were a trip and the shelter was full. Kinda funny. We stay away from shelters and ppl as much as possible as they are rude and **** everywhere BUT sometimes have the pleasure of Sharing a meal or sunset with another couple that feels the same way. All you gotta do is ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I feel crowded if I can even see another tent or camper within view of my campsite, even if it's a mile away.
    About 50 yds is acceptable. If aomeone wanted to camp on top of me because they were too afraid to look for a spot that wasnt listed in guide, Id politely say Id prefer to be by myself....and tell them they had a real purty mouth.

++ New Posts ++