WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Superior Hiking Trail

Hey everyone.
    Was thinking about doing a flip flop of the 296 mile superior hiking trail in Wisconsins north counrty this summer,I am doing A thru hike next year of the AT and was considering doing the SHT this summer to kill some time.

Sounds like a good plan. Did they move the SHT? When I hiked it, it was in Minnesota...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

Did they move the SHT? When I hiked it, it was in Minnesota...
    No it is still in minnesota lol, I confuse it with the town superior that is in Wisconsin.

If you are hiking in the summer bring lots of DEET. The mosquito is Minnesota's State Bird.

The SHT is a great trail to hike -- you'll see lots of lakes and waterfalls. You also might see a moose or two and even get to hear wolves up in the northern half, if you are lucky (I got to hear a few howling at dusk one night the first time I hiked the length of the SHT). Hope you have a great hike.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I hiked most of the trail in late May and June of last year and the bugs were not bad at all. I treated my clothes with Permithin, and that really helped. I'm looking forward to doing the last 50 miles of the northern section this year as well as 110 miles of the North Country Trail, from Solon Springs to Mellen (Wisconsin).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    No it is still in minnesota lol, I confuse it with the town superior that is in Wisconsin.
    I was just flipping you stuff as I knew it was an honest mistake. The SHT is one of my favorite mid-distance hikes. When I was dropped off at the northern terminus it was so quiet that it was deafening.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I hiked almost all of the SHT southbound in late Sept/early Oct a few years ago. It was a fantastic trail and I highly recommend it. I saw moose, a wolf(very close up) and a Mapman! I had zero bugs and few hikers that time of year. The waterfalls were all running pretty good and the leaf color was fantastic. I think earlier in the year would be a great time as well.

The summer could get pretty warm and buggy, and I have seen a lot of hikers when I have done day hikes in the summer so the trail will be busier. If you can deal with those issues summer would be would fine as well.

I agree about the silence of the Northern end. I have driven the North shore many times so I thought I knew what it was like but that stretch from the border to Grand Marais is just remote and dead silent. I had no cell service and saw only two people that whole stretch. It was awesome.

You will have a blast!

Images

I've done the northern 30 miles or so of the SHT. I then turned left and followed the Border Route and then the Kekekabic Trail to ELY, MN. That is truly a GREAT hike - might want to consider it at some point. This is the portion of the North Country National Scenic Trail that is referred to as the Arrowhead Re-route.

Had one of my most memorable wilderness experiences of all time while on this trip. It was late April, early May. There was a total lunar eclipse on one night when we were camped on an island in the Boundary Waters (yes, you can backpack through the Boundary Waters). As the eclipse began and progressed, the loons from various lakes surrounding us all began calling to each other with the most eerie songs I have ever heard. Loons normally have very unusual and varied songs, but this night was sooo intense and coming from all around us with crescendos and diminuendos that seemed to be coordinated to provide a symphony from nature. Lasted for about 40 minutes solid. I can still hear it and it was about 13 years ago.

I LOVE spending time in the North Country.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-23-2016 at 00:07.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok bumping this thread.
    Planning A thru hike of the SHT this September in preparation of my AT hike next year.
    Was curious if anyone has had any issue resupplying on the trail and or mail drops,
    I will be using the superior hiking shuttle to take me from Duluth to the Canadian border to do A SOBO hike and the shuttle driver said it is not uncommon to make all my necessary supply drops along the way and that is part of there shuttle service.
    Guess just looking for some insight on it from folks who have hiked it in the past.
    Thanks in advance.

Thru-hiked the SHT two yrs ago in Sept? Hikes seem to get lost in the yrs. Easy hitching everywhere. I added the Boundary Tr in BWCA on the front end going SOBO. Not that difficult hitching here to this TH either getting dropped off at 11:30 p.m in a mist and fog shrouded downpour. LOL. Amazing the doors that are opened after buying a few beers at a local pub. GREAT solitude. I fished often. I went into many of the trail towns. I did mail a couple of boxes but most folks without being as choosey as I am of dietary choices could buy as they go. Flew into Minneapolis and took a Jefferson Bus Line to Duluth. It's a very nice trail! I'd highly rec going all the way to Jay Cooke SP. Don't believe the naysayers who say the most southern SHT miles are worthless or not desirable hiking. I'd also rec following some of the rivers crossed on trail further downstream toward Lake Superior to catch more gorges, waterfalls, scenic bridges, lighthouses, shore headland overlooks, and often amazing Lake Superior shoreline. The Lake Superior shoreline is stunning in several places reminiscent to me of Acadia NP coastline in ME.

I can only speak for the portion from near the Canadian border to Two Harbor but resupply was easy. I bought in Grand Marais and in Finland. Both were easy hitches. You can easily walk to Finland but I stuck out my thumb anyway. I can't speak further south but would see no reason to do any drop boxes. I think my hike was ~232 miles.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Journal Entries
    Images

I can only speak for the portion from near the Canadian border to Two Harbor but resupply was easy. I bought in Grand Marais and in Finland. Both were easy hitches. You can easily walk to Finland but I stuck out my thumb anyway. I can't speak further south but would see no reason to do any drop boxes. I think my hike was ~232 miles.
    Good to know lonehiker.
    I am planning on about five drops that the shuttle service provides for free.
    I am only planning on around ten miles a day. pretty low miles and was planning on carrying five days of food at A time,so would need every 50 miles or so.
    Would actually like to only carry three days at A time if possible.

SHT is in my wish list, but probably couldn't get away for more than a week or so. If you were to pick a favorite section for a week, what would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    SHT is in my wish list, but probably couldn't get away for more than a week or so. If you were to pick a favorite section for a week, what would you recommend?
    From Gooseberry Falls State Park to Temperance River State Park is around 85 trail miles. That is the section with the best scenery per mile (most waterfalls, most inland lakes), in my opinion.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Why anticipating a flip flop?

Journal Entries
    Images

Why anticipating a flip flop?
    Hey Dogwood A flip flop isnt certain but depending on how much time I have left I might just hike some of the other trails in the area.
    Basically I was just gonna kill time up there if I had any extra.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    From Gooseberry Falls State Park to Temperance River State Park is around 85 trail miles. That is the section with the best scenery per mile (most waterfalls, most inland lakes), in my opinion.
    I agree with Map Man. The trail in the area of Temperance River was among my favorite parts but really anything North of Gooseberry falls was, I thought, fantastic.

I did a SHT thru from the Northern Terminus to downtown Duluth in 16 days (with 1 nero) last September 2015. Having previously done the AT, I think it would make a really good training wheels/ test run hike. The signage is great, there's ample water, and you're never too far from a road. The trail essentially parallels Rte 61 and Lake Superior. A true wilderness experience and orienteering challenge it is not, however the waterfalls were unexpectedly beautiful and I did see 2 bears.
    I did a combo of maildrops and on-the-fly resupply. Hitching was easy, except into Two Harbors: I walked for over an hour and a half in the rain before the sheriff gave me a lift. Going back to the trail, I didn't even try, I just walked the 6 miles on Hwy 2. Definitely get in touch with Bob at Superior Shuttle, he has a few vans that do scheduled and individualized runs, depending on the day of the week. I flew into Duluth, stayed over in a cheapo motel, then took the shuttle to Otter Lake Rd and walked back to Duluth.
    Feel free to PM me if you have questions. :-)
    "Either that kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea!"

Just saw Outside magazine reposted the SHT as one of the 32 best trails http://www.outsideonline.com/1930556...32-best-trails

(It's listed under the category "Best trail for donating blood" )

That's a shame that you had trouble getting into and out of Two Harbors. Maybe an AT thru hiker should open a hostel there, or something.

I've section hiked most of the SHT and, for anyone planning a through, recommend you start in Two Harbors. There's is not much to see in the lower section and it is easier logistically to hitch back to your car. The trail above Two Harbors parallels Hwy 61 for most of its length. Never had to use the shuttle, always gotten a ride while waiting at the shuttle stop.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++