WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kindle needs updates

I just learned about this today. Apparently today is the last day so I will be doing this tonight.

"To update a Kindle, owners should connect the devices to Wi-Fi and then tap "menu" or the menu icon, then select "sync and check for items." Once the software update is competed, owners should get a letter titled "03-2016 successful update" on their devices, which Amazon says can be found by sorting for the most recent items in their library."

I believe this is only necessary for Kindles 2012 and before. It has to do with losing internet connectivity if you don't update. An update can still be done manually afterwards via download and USB connection, and only affects Kindles that haven't been regularly connected to the internet for automatic updates.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I just learned about this today. Apparently today is the last day so I will be doing this tonight.

"To update a Kindle, owners should connect the devices to Wi-Fi and then tap "menu" or the menu icon, then select "sync and check for items." Once the software update is competed, owners should get a letter titled "03-2016 successful update" on their devices, which Amazon says can be found by sorting for the most recent items in their library."
    My Kindle updated automatically without even a "May I mess with your device?" message.

The "sync and check for new items" option is gone, I have to turn on the wireless connection and wait for it to download any new items. The main collections page is displayed in a lighter, non-adjustable font. Every time these software companies "improve" something, they tend to screw it up with all the extra junk they are trying to foist on you.

If they wanted to make a real improvement, they should allow the user to view the "experimental browser" in landscape view.

Pardon my rant, Perry. Keep posting those Kindle freebees. I'll keep downloading them, but who knows when I'll have the time to read them all!
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 03-22-2016 at 16:24.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    My Kindle updated automatically without even a "May I mess with your device?" message.

The "sync and check for new items" option is gone, I have to turn on the wireless connection and wait for it to download any new items. The main collections page is displayed in a lighter, non-adjustable font. Every time these software companies "improve" something, they tend to screw it up with all the extra junk they are trying to foist on you.

If they wanted to make a real improvement, they should allow the user to view the "experimental browser" in landscape view.

Pardon my rant, Perry. Keep posting those Kindle freebees. I'll keep downloading them, but who knows when I'll have the time to read them all!
    Mine updated, and immediately gave an option to turn off the most annoying aspects of the new update. Pretty harmless update overall.

Images

I did get an email a few weeks before mine updated. It was long enough that I'd sort of forgotten. It took a little getting used to, but overall not bad.

The new version of the software sucks! Ads take up most of the home screen. Once they start streaming ads while I'm reading, I'm throwing the thing out the window!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The new version of the software sucks! Ads take up most of the home screen. Once they start streaming ads while I'm reading, I'm throwing the thing out the window!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    You must have bought the less expensive ad-supported Kindle. I paid the extra $$$ and got the Kindle Paperwhite without the ads. Try putting your Kindle into "airplane mode", this may stop the ads.

If that doesn't work, hold the Kindle horizontally when you throw it. It should act like a Frisbee, (another "airplane mode" ), and give you maximum distance for the throw.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 03-25-2016 at 16:36.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++