WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Tent selection

Default Tent selection

Taking off in roughly 3 weeks.
    Need a tent and have narrowed it down to the following 3.
    SMD - Lunar Solo
    Lightheart - Solo
    Tarptent - Protrail

Since I am unable to see any of these in person I was looking for which of the 3 any of you would prefer and why, to aid me in making my decision. Yes I have read a lot on the forum and online about each tent. I'm looking for feedback on comparing the 3 against each other, which of the three would you choose and why?
    What I'm looking for:
    Lightweight/UL
    Able to sit up
    I'm 6'2 so comfortable for 6 ft +
    Hiking pole set up
    Easy to set up
    Under $400..may go higher if I'm convinced it's worth it.
    Can be bought and shipped within a week or less

I welcome other suggestions if they fit the above criteria.

Thanks in advance

The TT Notch will be better for sitting up in, and should fit 6'2" fine. I'm 5'11" and have plenty of room at the ends, but the screen is very close to my face , so that may be a concern. All the tents you listed have very good reviews and are well used by hikers.

I can't speak to the other two, but if you want SMD to seal seal for you (worth the cost IMO) it might be a couple of extra days of waiting.

I think all of the above are fairly easy to set up but all of them definitely have a learning curve. It took me at least 4 tries to get my Lunar Solo set up correctly. I'd definitely recommend trekking poles over their 49" pole (too much flex in it).

Having looked at pictures of all three, and owning the SMD Lunar Solor, I can attest to the fact the SMD Solo has a little more floor width due to it's more pyramid-type shape, which seems to be big enough to keep your pack inside, at least for me. The vestibule on the SMD Solo OTOH is probably not as versatile and quite as enclosed as the other two.

I think there are also a lot of people who agree that a side entrance is better for a tent, and I would concur (one of the reasons I didn't purchase the BA Fly Creek). The TT Notch is probably a better choice in that regard compared to the Protrail (as mentioned above) but you didn't list that tent. Both the LH Solo And SMD Lunar Solo have a side entrance.

Hope that helps.

Edit: First line...*seam seal

Images

I'd go for the Notch, too -- I really prefer to have my door on the long side, rather than the head end. I've owned several Tarptent brand shelters, including a couple with the head-end entrance, so I have some experience with this. The Notch has two doors, one on each long side, so you get easy entry, lots of views and ventilation.

We own a Lunar Duo and we love it. I haven't owned a Lunar Solo, but I have been inside one in a shop and it seemed cramped, but that's just my very initial impression. Haven't ever seen a Lightheart tent, though they get good reviews.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I would reccomend a Lighthearted so-long solo tent. Its the longer solo version of the tent. It can accommodate someone at 6'8" quite comfortably, has dual side doors, and checks all of your boxes. They are made in the USA by someone who actually hikes! Like the others you need to seam seal it whether you do it yourself, or they will do it for you. It also won't break the bank being in the $300 range. It's a rapidly growing brand and the stellar design of the tent is the basis of that growth. It's also nice that if you had to call, your getting the owner/seamstress on the phone!

Wow, I would have recommended trying out the tent that will be your home for the next six months before such a big commitment, but I guess any of those will do.

I used the SMD Trekker for several years on overnighters and then for a month on the AT last year. It's a great tent and I'd definitely recommend it over the Lunar Solo simply because the solo is all single-wall. The two weakness of the Trekker are the single-wall section, which mists in heavy rain, and the low bathtub walls, which can allow ground splatter to get from under the fly. But it's still a great tent, very light weight and easy to pitch.

I decided to try a LightHeart Solo for this year's section hike because it doesn't have a single-wall section. It's much more water-tight, but it has it's own problems. They changed it recently to make the fly go much lower (too low in my opinion), which makes it difficult to get a good pitch and reduces ventilation. It's also very long and pointy at the ends, so it doesn't have as much room at the feet as the Trekker did.
    My hiking buddy last year had a Notch. He really liked it, but I wasn't sure I would. It has some long guy lines that are easy to trip over.

Every tent is a compromise. You really need to try them out to figure out which compromises you prefer.

Images

Another vote for Lightheart hear Solong 6.

Images

At 6'2" you won't fit into the LightHeart Solo tent - unless you sleep curled up like a pretzel. I designed the SoLong 6 tent for hikers over 6 foot.

I really like the ventilation of the SoLong 6. With the awning pole, you can be well ventilated even in light rain

Went with the Solong 6, looking like I should have it sometime next week.
    Thanks for the input everyone. Wish I could have checked out all of these in person first but no one near me carries any of them and I'm on a tight schedule!
    I'm sure that I will be more than happy with my choice.

Keep us posted on the Solong 6 after you hit the trail. The Solong 6 is on my short list of 3 tents. I would love to know how it works for you in April. Thanks.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I think you made the right choice for your size.

Quote Originally Posted by jj dont play View Post
    Went with the Solong 6, looking like I should have it sometime next week.
    Thanks for the input everyone. Wish I could have checked out all of these in person first but no one near me carries any of them and I'm on a tight schedule!
    I'm sure that I will be more than happy with my choice.
    Hi JJ , Now that you've experienced the Solong 6. Please let us know about what you think..... Take care !

You have made a good choice my friend.

I own the six moons trekker, as well as the so long 6.

Whenever I use lightheart, I feel like I'm in a palace.

Lots of room.

Great tent, and I hope you enjoy it!

Floyd

Just posted up a review of the Solong 6 on my blog: https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/
    Sorry I didn't post earlier for those requesting my opinion on it. Finished the AT early August and just now getting around to reviewing gear.

++ New Posts ++