WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good advice above, but I would add:
    -Use a two pad system.
    -Sleep in merino wool (all you have with you)
    -Use the down jacket over the foot box.

Also, get your body heat up before you get to sleep. Do some jogging and some jumping jacks, but don't overdo it, because then it will have the opposite effect (problems sleeping).
    And, if you use a tent, use this:

I have used my silk cocoon liner for years in a 20 degree bag and been comfortable as long as temps are double digits. On warm weather hikes my cocoon is my only bag. In my hammock I use a customized windshield reflector that snaps inside under me. Not much weight not much space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I swear by the hot water bottle idea I have used it tent camping and shelter sleeping as well as in the hammock, it works, just cover the bottle or you can hurt yourself and if you place in the bag before getting in you'll have a nice warm bag when you do slip in. If it is really going down I may use my rain gear as a vapor barrier.

The suggestion of the quilt to go over the bag hard to beat. When it is warmer, the 30 degree bag will be too warm. You could use a 40 or 50 degree quilt. A quilt will easily work over a wider range. You can ventilate a quilt so easily by lifting it up with an arm or leg, or partially uncovering yourself. I used a 40 degree quilt last summer with a silk liner and found it to be a good system. With a liner for 70 degree nights, down to a 10 degree night, you would be able to sleep comfortably with the three items.

A good pad is essential; the comments earlier are valid.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oslohiker View Post
    -Use a two pad system.

Also, get your body heat up before you get to sleep. Do some jogging and some jumping jacks, but don't overdo it, because then it will have the opposite effect (problems sleeping).

I am on the fence with this... it burns oxygen and is heavy,,, I would not carry it on the AT. I do have one... for car camping.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

down booties..good. Quilted insulated underwear. You'd probably have to order down insulated, but synthetic might be available.
    LL Bean has them and Hanks Clothing has bottoms for $50. You use your vest or fleece on top. Just having bottoms like these really helps you sleep warm, and extends the comfort range of your bag.

Frequently, when I'm pushing the lower limit of my sleep system, I'm fine until about 4 or 5 in the morning at which point, if I don't want to get up and start my hike early, I'll stick the lower part of bag in my trash compactor bag or wrap myself in a space blanket, poncho, or ground cloth, all of which would cause condensation and moisture problems if I slept that way all night, but work really quite well for just the last few hours of the morning.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am on the fence with this... it burns oxygen and is heavy,,, I would not carry it on the AT. I do have one... for car camping.
    The burning of oxygen is negligible. Don't worry about it. On the other hand you can use it as an indicator if you also use a burner. When the flame on the candle starts flicking and gets low there are danger because of high level of CO and low level of O2. Instantly get out of the tent.

If you don't plan to do night hiking you will save grams on not taking a head lamp with you, and you could also save weight on your sleeping system. It is a for- and against-thing. I use it often, also in the summertime. Their citronella insect repellant work fairly well. Try it on a 4-5 day winter hike, and give it a chance.

And... use the bee wax, it burns much cleaner and is better for your tent. It also burns much longer. The micro-version is also worth testing out (I don't have one myself). It is lower in weight and should give adequate heat and light.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslohiker View Post
    -Use a two pad system.

It's funny what sticks with you. I don't think I'd use the Uco easily. I have one (I've never used it backpacking -- space, weight, etc.), but from the age of 8, the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts have pounded into my head the inadvisability of flames inside tents. I realize that this isn't an open flame, nor am I a boneheaded teen-ager (boneheaded midfle-aged man, perhaps), but some things just stick in your head.

Just get the correct temp bag and sleep nice and warm . Watched lots of hikers suffer through the night with inadequate sleep system after a cold wet day hiking. They had a light pack though.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    A mylar space blanket or emergency bivy can help add some warmth rating to your sleeping bag in a pinch. Not recommended for continuous use of course, but if you're talking about something light and efficient as a "maybe" those are the things I would suggest. You can get the emergency bivvies at Walmart and are good for more than one use and are probably money-better-spent than a space blanket.
    I would second this. Look at the SOL Escape Lite Bivy. $40 and 5oz. Helps retain heat pretty well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

In a pinch (unexpected snow near the end of May) I've wrapped my tent and rainfly around my sleeping bag while sleeping in a shelter. And you'd be amazed what a hat and gloves can do...I always sleep with them on in the winter time.

Quote Originally Posted by coachhahn View Post
    I would second this. Look at the SOL Escape Lite Bivy. $40 and 5oz. Helps retain heat pretty well.
    Be careful with the SOL Escape Lite Bivy. It's pretty small volume, and if you try to put you bag inside it, it will likely compress your insulation and make you colder. Even SOL recommends using the Escape Lite Bivy as a heat reflective liner inside your bag, not outside.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Be careful with the SOL Escape Lite Bivy. It's pretty small volume, and if you try to put you bag inside it, it will likely compress your insulation and make you colder. Even SOL recommends using the Escape Lite Bivy as a heat reflective liner inside your bag, not outside.
    Good call. I used it once and was ok but I could see that being an issue. It was a bit tight.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++