WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to prepare for cold nights?

Hey y'all, I'm relatively new to backpacking, but I've been on a few trips thus far (a little over 50 miles). Me and my girlfriend usually hike late season around July-August, but this year we wanted to take two trips, one in the early season and one in the late. Last trip, we ended up sleeping under a blanket in our ponchos because we were ill prepared for the cold. Since we are hoping to hike in May, I assume it will be much colder. We don't really know many others who backpack, so I was wondering what kind of gear we should need for colder weather? We are both currently in college and money is a bit of a hurdle, so cheaper/MacGyver-ish solutions are much appreciated! x'D

We currently have:
    Two self-inflating bed rolls
    A blanket
    Two ponchos
    Shorts, t-shirts, and socks

And I was thinking of filling our water bottles with hot water for extra heat during the night or getting some form of sleeping bag, but those can get a bit pricey.

For a cheap and workable solution, go to Ikea and buy a cheap synthetic quilt. It will beat the blanket for weight and warmth, and cost about $20. But, that still isn't going to be warm enough in near freezing weather without lots of warm cloths on underneath it. It looks like you are woefully under prepared for cold weather in the clothing department as well. Walmart fleeces are cheap for their warmth. A complete gear list would be helpful to people helping you.

I'm sure the reason you want to backpack is to have fun.

You are not going to have fun if you are cold and wet.

You need to have a tent, or be able to rig up a tarp. You need to have sleeping bags or warm quilts.

These can be done cheaply. One way to get warmth is to put one sleeping back inside another. In this way, I'd imagine you might be able to get by with two cheaper synthetic fill bags each.
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

I will assume that You each have a 20 degree sleeping bag and a puffy coat as well as some sort of shelter. A blanket and a poncho is, off the charts, a poor sleep system.

OP, get this book, Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpackin' Tips

How to do it light, right and pretty much on the cheap.

Just starting out, you need LOTS more information in a consolidated and organized format.

Thanks for the tip on the ikea quilts, they look great! Yeah, we are pretty unprepared for cold weather, were playing all of this pretty by ear. Our whole gear list goes something like this (it's a lot of items, but it only turned out being about 21 pounds each):
    Two person tent
    Tarp
    Bed rolls
    Sleeping bag liners
    Blanket
    Pillows
    Lantern

Food (2 camp meals a day)
    Cheerio bags
    Crackers
    Cheese dips
    Granola bars
    Protein bars
    Oatmeal
    Grits

Stove
    Propane
    Lighter
    Pot set
    Cutlery
    Spatula
    Syrup
    Food scrap strainer
    Trash bag
    Waterproof food bag
    Water filtration bottle
    Water bottles
    Camp soap
    Water jug

Toothbrushes
    Toothpaste
    Toilet paper
    Face wipes
    Hydrocortisone
    Mole skin
    Ibuprofen
    Benadryl
    Tums
    Pepto
    Gauze
    Bandaid
    Antibiotic
    Alchohol
    Nyquil

Knife
    Rope
    Walking sticks
    Flashlights

Light beanie
    Baseball caps
    Frog togs
    Compression shorts
    Shorts
    Shirts
    Socks
    Hiking shoes

Journal
    Pens
    Map
    Charge packs
    Pack cover
    Ponchos

Your food list is fairly typical but be aware it is about 80% carbohydrate. You can fuel this way but you need boatloads of it and you will always be ravenous because of the insulin spikes and crashes. Your hunger might be better satisfied with higher fat foods; beef sticks, cheese, olive oil, avocado, eggs... Depends on how well you metabolize carbs... If you are overweight or have T2D in your family then you know the answer.

Images

A cheap blue foam pad from Walmart will add a lot of warmth when placed underneath your self-inflating pads. You didn't say how warm these pads are, but it is impossible to have too much ground insulation.

Even inexpensive sleeping bags will be warmer than most blankets, if you mean a blanket like you use at home. Backpacking quilts are fine, and I suppose a "puffy" home quilt would work, but will probably be real bulky to carry. Try to find sleeping bags that will mate, so you can zip two together for you as a couple, if that is the motive for a blanket.

Check out Sierra Trading Post for discount gear, also Campmor. Both are dependable, reputable companies.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-19-2016 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    A cheap blue foam pad from Walmart will add a lot of warmth when placed underneath your self-inflating pads.
    I second that. I can buy what ever gear I want, but I also use a two pad system i the winter time.

Sleep with a wool balaclava and warm socks, and you also can compensate with merino wool mid layer clothes. On the other hand, if there is a chance I would be cold at night, I would skip the whole trip.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Your food list is fairly typical but be aware it is about 80% carbohydrate. You can fuel this way but you need boatloads of it and you will always be ravenous because of the insulin spikes and crashes. Your hunger might be better satisfied with higher fat foods; beef sticks, cheese, olive oil, avocado, eggs... Depends on how well you metabolize carbs... If you are overweight or have T2D in your family then you know the answer.
    And regarding eating, it is imperative to continually stoke the fire burning inside us, which helps provide us with energy (i.e., heat). Going to sleep hungry is a big no-no when trying/hoping to stay warm. Dehydration might "help" in this manner (it does), but is obviously ill-advised for all other reasons related to hiking performance. (Healthy) fats are actually an ideal source of energy for the long-distance hiker because: 1: they provide more calories per unit of weight (10 calories per gram vs. four calories per gram for carbohydrates) and 2: they require the body to work a greater amount to metabolize them, which creates an increase in body expenditure (warmth). Years ago I altered how and when I eat when hiking/backpacking and have found that I rarely get cold, even in my 22-ounce threadbare 32* bag, though this is purely one man's anecdotal evidence.

Beyond your choice of shelter and bag and sleeping pad(s), eating and a small (or large) campfire (rain and jurisdiction permitting) are perhaps your next considerations. I bring a small woman along on those really cold nights, stuffing her inside my sleeping bag, which seems to help.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OneDoesNotSimplyWalk View Post
    21 pounds each
    Sorry if I'm Captain Obvious, but if the two of you are in roughly the same shape, I would try splitting the pack weight proportional to body weight. For example, if you're 160 and she 120, it would roughly be a 60/40 split.

For colder weather I would definitely make warm jackets/fleeces, long-johns, gloves, and warm hats priorities.

I would omit the face wipes. Do you need them for anything particular, other than cleansing your face? 1) They are crummy for the environment and 2) As I wrote in one of the women's thread, splash then pat cold water on your skin, unless you are absolutely averse to having any dirt on your skin.

Another man-made product that is unfortunate.

Also, please do not take any product that contains microbeads. An environmental menace. Found in many products, including toothpaste. Who needs this crap on the trail and in its waterways?

Do you need to carry both Tums and Pepto? As someone who suffers both heartburn and GERD, I find that one or the other suffices. Why the Nyquil?

Your medicine cabinet here seems over-weighted. Why not shed a bit of it? Benadryl I understand, who knows if you'll come across something you didn't realize you were allergic to.

Are camp shoes or some kind of waterproof sandals on this list?

Why both a beanie and a baseball cap?

(I'm trying to help with my thoughts, not criticize.)

For clothes, see your nearest thrift store. Does your college have an outdoor program with rental gear? Sleeping bags are tough. They are fairly expensive, and need to be good. Even if its a stretch, consider mid- range down bags (around $200) you won't be sorry. And don't be discouraged. Plenty of people go on the cheap and have fun. If need be take your trips in warmer weather.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

So I'm just going to make one big reply here.

1) Yes, I know it is a poor sleep system, I'm actively trying to fix it.
    2) We like the low weight high carb foods, it just works for us I guess.
    3) We do split the gear we according to our abilities.
    4) The face wipes are just for hygene I suppose and we strictly follow the "leave no trace" policy.
    5) We've only got like 4 or 5 pills of each, so it isn't too much of a burden. I've always used Tums for stomach acid problems and Pepto for indigestion.
    6) We do have suficient hiking shoes. The caps are just for when we are hiking, but the beanie has a built in head lamp (and I'm a dork, so I like it).

I think I'm gonna get some warmer clothes in general and try to find a cheaper quilt. I'll be testing it out before hand just in case though x'D
    Thanks for the advice y'all!

A lot of college rec programs have "free" equipment rentals...ask around!

Also REI rents all the majors...sleeping pad+bags...it's pretty reasonable. After using a sleeping pad you'll never go back to rocks and dirt.
    A warm sleeping bag is really necessary.

My college does have an outdoors club that does rentals, so I'll definitely look into that! Thanks!

Definitely the most important is a good sleeping bag at night, based on what you have so far.
    if you're short on cash, see about renting/borrowing those like others mentioned, and you'll be ok. Since you aren't going on a long trip and aren't carrying that much else, a synthetic bag would be perfectly fine. You will have space for a bit of bulk/extra weight, and don't need to waste your cash on a bit of space saving and 1-2 lbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++