WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Try different lacing techniques first. I have a couple of pairs of awesomely fitting trail runners, but still find on super steep descents that my toes hit the end a little. I don't know if this is just me (this doesn't just happen with trail runners) or if this is a issue everyone just has to deal with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Try different lacing techniques first. I have a couple of pairs of awesomely fitting trail runners, but still find on super steep descents that my toes hit the end a little. I don't know if this is just me (this doesn't just happen with trail runners) or if this is a issue everyone just has to deal with.
    Unfortunately these shoes do not have traditional laces...they have that elastic stuff, I think they call it speed laces. I also think on the day of the descent, my feet had swollen as well, so the toe jamming was unavoidable.
    Last edited by Namtrag; 05-10-2016 at 11:00.

Journal Entries

I believe wildcats have conventional laces. Or at least the ones in my closet do.

Nonetheless they are narrow, so everyone sizes up 1/2 size for that. Running warehouse size comparison software shows you that. Toebox is ridiculously shallow. Toes rub the roof, is what I dont like about la sportiva. Basically, its a race fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post

I will take a look at the running warehouse, and also take a trip to the REI here that just opened. It sounds like either place would be a good choice since you can return used shoes to them!
    Running warehouse gives 90 days to return . and may refuse if you abuse it and return too many pr of used shoes in a year.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-10-2016 at 12:59.

Unfortunately these shoes do not have traditional laces...they have that elastic stuff, I think they call it speed laces. I also think on the day of the descent, my feet had swollen as well, so the toe jamming was unavoidable.
    My Salomons have kevlar speed laces too...hope you find a solution. I still think it's kind of inevitable on really steep descents

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I believe wildcats have conventional laces. Or at least the ones in my closet do.

Nonetheless they are narrow, so everyone sizes up 1/2 size for that. Running warehouse size comparison software shows you that. Toebox is ridiculously shallow. Toes rub the roof, is what I dont like about la sportiva. Basically, its a race fit.

Running warehouse gives 90 days to return . and may refuse if you abuse it and return too many pr of used shoes in a year.
    Is it just a coincidence you mentioned Wildcats? I am considering Wildcats, but I l looked back and don't remember mentioning it lol I had read that the original Wildcats had a wider toebox than the 3.0 ones that came out about a year ago. Again, like you said, only you can tell if the shoe fits. It's all over the board when you read individual reviews on any shoe. Some people say x model runs narrow, some say it runs true, and some say it runs wide....the reason I was going to try the original Wildcat was because REI here carries it, so I can at least rule it out right off the bat if it's not right. If it's a good fit at the store, I can try and return if it doesn't work in the field. If it doesn't fit, I can move on to other options like Running Warehouse.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My Salomons have kevlar speed laces too...hope you find a solution. I still think it's kind of inevitable on really steep descents
    That could be the answer too, really may not be anything I can do. I don't mind losing an occasional toenail, but the neuropathy I get in my toes is a little concerning. Last time I had this happen, it took almost a year for the feeling to come all the way back!

North face Ultra 109 trail runners waterproof. I have a narrpw foot but they r a little too much volume but by far the best hiking shor i have found. Minimal blisters compared to tons on other shors. I am a hard to fit foot. Worth a shot. Im gonna try the La Sport sport

You can purchase Altras on Amazon with free return. I did this so I could try different sizes and generally make sure they were a good fit. The return was easy - they give you labels to print out, or if you don't have a printer pay them $1 to send return labels, take them into a UPS store. I beelieve pickup is also posssible. You can't return them worn but it is at least a viable option for getting a good initial fit. I got the Altra Lone Peaks and they are truely the nicest shoes I've had on my feet, ever. I have narrow heels and a very wide toe area and my feet are held by them in the heel area with all my toes free to stretch and my feet able to move the way they need.

Images

Ended up getting La Sportiva Wildcats in an 11 1/2. The 11's also fit, but I went up a 1/2 size to account for feet swelling on the trail. My big toe when standing doesn't reach the black kick plate, so I hope I didn't get too long of a shoe. Just for kicks I got the Brannock Device out at the store and put my foot in, and the length measures exactly a 10, so I am not sure why I always have to get at least an 11.

The good thing is I bought them at REI, so I can take them on a trip and find out, and return for a size 11 if I need to. I can also wear a thicker sock to see how that does.

Images

so the Wildcats feel great width-wise, but they bother my arches. Back to REI they will go. Not sure, but am thinking it's because the shoe is too long for my foot, so the arch in the shoe is in the wrong place for my foot's arch. I wonder if that's a common problem when we all size up a half or full size for backpacking shoes?
    Last edited by Namtrag; 05-19-2016 at 13:49.

Images

Ended up going back to REI in Richmond, where they have a better selection. I returned the Wildcats, size 11.5, and ended up buying Altra Lone Peak 2.5, size 10.5. You don't realize how badly shoes fit until you try a pair on that actually fits!!

Has anyone tried the Saucony Peregrine 6? I am looking at those due to the arch support and tread pattern. I have a jacked up left foot (dislocated all of my metatarsals, and had to have them reduced and fixated), so I have some pain issues with that hoof. I have Saucony road running shoes, and they have been great.

I'm runnin' (though I'm not really running) a pair of Brooks Cascades 11's right now w/metatarsal ballistics rock plate, I like em.

Images

Took my Altra's slogging through Dolly Sods this weekend. They fit great and I think I finally found a winner for my feet! It was nice not caring if you got your feet wet or not. I just walked through the creeks instead of rock hopping.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm runnin' (though I'm not really running) a pair of Brooks Cascades 11's right now w/metatarsal ballistics rock plate, I like em.
    I stocked up on the Cascade 8's when everyone was phasing them out and they were on sale everywhere. The reviews that I've read have seemed disappointed in the Cascade models after the 8's especially in terms of durability. How have yours been holding up ??
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

After another trip (Carver's Gap to US 19E) a couple of weeks ago, I really have to say my Altra Lone Peak 2.5's are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, hiking, dress, or casual.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Ended up going back to REI in Richmond, where they have a better selection. I returned the Wildcats, size 11.5, and ended up buying Altra Lone Peak 2.5, size 10.5. You don't realize how badly shoes fit until you try a pair on that actually fits!!
    Wait, did you find the Altra's in stock at REI? I'm really hoping the one near my house starts stock them soon, but they told me that Altras were online only at the moment.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Wait, did you find the Altra's in stock at REI? I'm really hoping the one near my house starts stock them soon, but they told me that Altras were online only at the moment.
    They did not have them in the Va Beach store, but you can look online at an item and see if it's in stock at a specific store. We did that, and it showed the Richmond store carrying them, so we took a two hour drive and got them!!

The other option is to order some Altra's online and return them to the store nearest you if they don't fit.
    Last edited by Namtrag; 07-06-2016 at 09:07.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Hard to get the opinion of others who have different foot parameters. Best option is to find a store like Runners World or New Balance that has some technology to help assess your feet, stride, and footfall impacts as a front end solution.

There is only one "best shoe", which is the one that fits you.
    Amen. Ignore any other advice and let an expert fit you up.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Images

I just picked up a pair of New Balance leadville v3s. They are freaking awesome. New balance works best for me as I have wide feet and they go up to extra wide sizes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++