WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightweight Fishing Rod

Hi all, I'm looking into purchasing a lightweight fishing rod (Spin or cast) for an upcoming JMT thru hike this Summer. I've got a budget of around $50 to $100 so I can't go too crazy here, but I've definitely got the budget for something lightweight. I'm currently looking at Emmrods as being a possibility, but I'm not 100% sure I like the design or if their will be a learning curve to it. Honestly, I think I'd really like a 3 piece collapsible rod with a lightweight spin reel, but I'm not that into fishing to know what is the best brand / where to purchase.

My hobby (aka: what makes my pack heavy) is photography, but I'd love to be able to catch some fish on the JMT to cook up. Also, I'm planning on a Benton Mackaye Thru hike this upcomming April so if anyone knows of any good spots to fish around there, please let me know!!

Images

I have no experience with Emmrods, but wanted to throw a consideration in to the hat.

LL Bean has a travel Spin/Fly Combo Outfit w/case that you might be interested in. It is a little over your budget, but it can be found for less at the LL Bean outlets. LL Bean also has an amazing return policy if it breaks, or doesn't turn out to be what you want. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73176...507923-cprrtop

Any time I have carried a fishing rod while backpacking it has either been a Tenakara fly rod, or a collapsible spin rod like this Shakepeare If you aren't a serious fisherman and are just looking for a UL rod option for fun, it fits the bill. You can then just pick up a UL spinning reel at a sports store and call it good. Should be able to outfit yourself for under $50 too.

http://www.gofastandlight.com/mobile...fo/FI-PCOMSTF/

this is is what I use, I've caught many a trout and plenty of bass. It's well within your budget so you can spend a little extra on tackle. I'm bringing this with me through the 100 mile wilderness on my sobo thru this June. I've read the 100mw has some excellent fishing, I hope it will slow me down and let my legs warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by KYLarry View Post
    Any time I have carried a fishing rod while backpacking it has either been a Tenakara fly rod, or a collapsible spin rod like this Shakepeare If you aren't a serious fisherman and are just looking for a UL rod option for fun, it fits the bill. You can then just pick up a UL spinning reel at a sports store and call it good. Should be able to outfit yourself for under $50 too.
    Pretty much the goal here is to just have it for the fun of it, definitely not trying to factor weight over comfort if that makes any sense. I like the idea of the Shakespeare, but do you think the 5 seperate pieces leaves too much room for something to fail or break?

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV;
    I've considered the Pen Rod, but I've also heard the length of the pole when extended doesn't really allow for much wiggle room in terms of how far you can cast and the weight of the fish you can reel in? I'd definitely appreciate any more thoughts you have on this pole though as it's definitely in the running for one I might buy!!

Thanks for the responses guys, I'd love to hear more haha!

The 5 piece system is pretty robust. It is stiffer than the other UL rods that I have, and that is to ensure it is durable. I have been using one for years and haven't had any issues with it. Again, it is really a "Hobby Rod," but have never had any issues with catching smaller fish on it. If you're looking for a lunker, probably want to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by KYLarry View Post
    The 5 piece system is pretty robust. It is stiffer than the other UL rods that I have, and that is to ensure it is durable. I have been using one for years and haven't had any issues with it. Again, it is really a "Hobby Rod," but have never had any issues with catching smaller fish on it. If you're looking for a lunker, probably want to look elsewhere.
    Awesome! Thank you so much, definitely not looking for a lunker, but I'd like to get some versatility out of it. Definitely gonna keep that rod in mind going forward haha

Journal Entries

Tenkara, carry it on most hikes.

Try the Pen rod/reel

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

If you have experience fishing I don't think you'll have problems pulling in a bigger fish, you just need to play him a little longer. As far as casting goes you are correct. I've riged up some pretty strange rigs (weights, floater, weight, lure) to get more distance when casting but in most situation I find its unessesary. I mostly fish backcountry streams/brooks and can float the bait down to where I'd like it and having the short rod is actually beneficial if you need to squeeze into an small spot or if there's a lot of brush around where you're casting from.

Tenkara is the way to go for simplicity and light weight IMO.

For spin casting picked up a traveling/backpacking 4 piece 5'6" UL 2.7 oz fast action St Croix Triumph fishing rod for $65 USED on one of the gear forums. They sell them at Cabelas and probably bass Pro shops which occasionally have sales and coupons. It's a REAL fishing rod IMHO infinitely better quality than any other cheap telescoping rod(like Shakespeare) bought at Academy, Dicks, Sorts Authority or Pen rod. I'm only familiar with three different PenRods and known there are several more available. These other rods sufficed when I wasn't as serious of fishing in places like the Sierra, on a super tight budget, and was fishing just on rare occasions. They are as KYLarry said more of "Hobby Rods." I agree with the advise you were given: "I've considered the Pen Rod, but I've also heard the length of the pole when extended doesn't really allow for much wiggle room in terms of how far you can cast and the weight of the fish you can reel in? I'd definitely appreciate any more thoughts you have on this pole though as it's definitely in the running for one I might buy!"

For the JMT which I enjoy occasionally fishing for trout most of all one needs is a cheap rod and real setup with 2-4 lb test for spin casting as I'm assuming it's more of a fun thing you will be adding to a mainly backpacking trip. It's not a survival or bushcraft or hardcore fishing trip. Much of what you will be after are Brook and smaller Rainbows. Brooks are numerous and usually voracious attacking a small spinner, spoon, Rapala, or worm. Sierra has some 5 lb + + German Brown and Rainbows though and if you hook into one of those you might as well be fighting it with a willow twig if you're using one of those "Hobby Rods." Will not get into dedicated fly fishing set ups although using a fly bubble helps cast flies.

Tenkara is the lightest weight, most simple to use and cheapest to use. http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Sect...ywords=tenkara

++ New Posts ++