WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trekking Poles Recommendations?

Does anyone recommend a certain brand/type/ or model of trekking poles for a thru hike on the AT?

I figured trekking poles would all be very similar but REI's website has it broken down by Grip Material, Shaft Material, Locking Mechanism, Weight, etc. I just want to make sure there is not a certain material that works much better for a thru hike.

I would feel better purchasing a pair that someone recommends/tested as opposed to me blindly picking out a pair at REI and hoping for the best. Thanks!

I doubt that trekking poles, hiking sticks, etc. have to be thru-hike specific.
    I'm a fan of Komperdell hiking poles. I've owned a pair of aluminum 3 section poles with the dreaded twist lock system. Love them.
    Last week I received a new pair of Komperdell Expedition Vario Carbon sticks. Totally awesome! A single flip lock. Minimum extension fits me perfect. More than enough height for TarpTent support. 4-5 ounces lighter than my old pair. Love them!
    Can't help on the thru-hike thing. None of my hiking sticks, including the bamboo DIY stick I made eons ago, are labeled "Thru-Hike Ready."

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I used cheaper REI poles for years and they worked fine. Only thing I ever complained about was the rubber grips got nasty sticky and wet as I hiked from sweat. They were also near vertical grips. I tried a pair of Leki CorkLites with the cork grip, soft strap, and forward tilted grip and immediately switched. So much more comfortable. Also, it had the new flip locks vs the old twist locks, making it easier to collapse and extend.

So I would say it is more about what you like than anything else, as any stick (including a mop handle - Jennifer Pharr Davis thru hiked with one) will work.

I love my Pacer Poles. The only improvement I would wish for is flick locks instead of twist locks. Really though, most any pole will do, and like mentioned by Soumodeler, I used a broom handle from the hardware store for years. I just wrapped it with paracord to make a grip.

I've heard many say that Black Diamond is not very helpful with warranty/repair/replacement issues whereas, Lekki will bend over backwards for their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I've heard many say that Black Diamond is not very helpful with warranty/repair/replacement issues whereas, Lekki will bend over backwards for their customers.
    My personal experience has been exemplary with both companies!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would say go for the cheapest that has the features you're looking for.

Sierra Trading Post has a pretty large selection of poles available.
    If you're willing to wait a few days for the right coupon to come along, you should be able to find a code at Retailmenot that would take at least an additional 25% off and free shipping (look for a free or reduced shipping coupon, regular shipping from STP is outrageous).

I think cork grips are the most important decision. Cork grips worked great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mounta...trekking+poles

14.2 oz without the baskets for the pair.

My first pair of trekking poles were Lekis, they lasted about 13 years and I finally retired them last year -- the bottom section of one pole got bent and I was unable to straighten it properly.

I replaced them with a pair of mid-range Black Diamond poles from REI. About $70 or so as I recall. The new ones have flip locks. So far so good.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I vote for Lekis, particularly if you're going to be putting a significant amount of your weight on them... they lock tight. I did not have good service from BD, and I find that the Komperdells don't lock as tightly as Lekis and are prone to slip.

I take it back... I had terrible service from BD.

I personally like the foam grips. The rubber is too hard for my comfort and the cork is heavier and gets old and slimy and stinky and falls apart more readily than the foam.
    I like the shorter tips on the Leki (or BD Distance Z-poles for that matter) better than the longer tips on the regular BD poles that get stuck in the mud significantly more.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mounta...trekking+poles

14.2 oz without the baskets for the pair.

PLUS ONE (+1) on these I have had them for a few years now and LOVE them, Flick lock over twist lock whatever poles you choose.

Features I prefer: collapsible, flip-lock, swappable baskets. I think the shock absorbing ones are total gimmick. Have had equal success with foam and cork handles but probably prefer cork because of the feel. Have used Komperdell and Black Diamond. First pair did not have angled handles and worked fine. Second set had angled handles and worked fine. So that feature is a wash for me.

In 08 I heard of a lot of people that were returning their Leki's for repair/replacement. Guess I would rather buy a product that I never have to know how good their warranty policy is...

Only advice I would give is that if you go with trekking poles at least be cognizant of how to use the wrist straps properly.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Only advice I would give is that if you go with trekking poles at least be cognizant of how to use the wrist straps properly.
    This is the best advice on this tread. I see so many people not using the straps correctly (or at all) and then saying that trekking poles don't really do anything for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    PLUS ONE (+1) on these I have had them for a few years now and LOVE them, Flick lock over twist lock whatever poles you choose.
    I also have these. For the price you can't beat them.

Images

Pacer Poles are the most comfortable to use and most efficient at transferring arm motion to forward motion. If you don't go with them, then I agree with the others, it doesn't make much difference.

Been using Pacer Poles for 11 or 12 years now (maybe more) and will never buy anything but. Only problems were worn out tips and a bent pole section after I stepped on it. Both times the manufacturer sent the replacement parts very quickly and at very low cost, even including a gift of 6 sets of rubber tips at no extra charge.

Also, no need to learn how to use wrist straps with Pacer Poles - they are not necessary. The only purpose for the wrist tether is for your convenience.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-16-2016 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Also, no need to learn how to use wrist straps - they are not necessary. The only purpose for the wrist tether is for your convenience.
    The wrist straps are there for more than just convenience. They allow a better transfer of force than using your grip alone and greatly reduces fatigue from gripping the pole. What is going to get tired first: your hand or a piece of cloth?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The wrist straps are there for more than just convenience. They allow a better transfer of force than using your grip alone and greatly reduces fatigue from gripping the pole. What is going to get tired first: your hand or a piece of cloth?

Not on PacerPoles. You should check them out - they have a very unique grip that is MUCH easier and more comfortable to use, and which makes wrist straps unnecessary.

I have used everything from a sapling picked up in the woods to Komperdelle poles (REI) to LEKI and now PacerPoles. PacerPoles win.

Pace Maker Stix makes some pretty good poles that aren't nearly as expensive as BD or Leki. I've been using a pair for a few years now and they are still holding up. Haven't done anything near as long as a thru hike, and i made my own for my flip flop this year. Their most expensive model only runs for $55 and weigh only 6.5 ounces each (according to their website). They are also on Amazon, and i haven't read a bad review on them yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++