WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love my fusion 50 and am buying another one just to put up for upcoming thru hikes in the future.
    For the price it is really an unbeatable pack inho.

Leonidas

Just wanted to say thanks for the commentary on the post, between it and the reviews, I snagged one last night.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just wanted to say thanks for the commentary on the post, between it and the reviews, I snagged one last night.
    Hey did you get your pack yet and was curious what you thought.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Hey did you get your pack yet and was curious what you thought.
    I did receive it, it looks well made and once I got the straps dialed in, it seems to fit nicely. I haven't gotten it out on the trail yet though, we are busy every weekend until the end of the month. Still need to pickup a couple more items for the trip and then I can start seeing how well it packs.

To anyone who has one - could you tell me a bit about the volume? Maybe sharing your packlists would be helpful - I'm having issues visualising if I'd be able to fit my gear.

My pack is the last thing i'm upgrading (from a hugely overweight 65L pack). I think I should be able to fit my stuff, but I'm a litttle unsure, as I want to be able to use this for a long overseas trip, where I'll be hiking + travelling (and hence packing more than an average 3 season hike). This is my https://lighterpack.com/r/emvths

Its a 40 liter pack. I use it for a winter day pack because it will hold a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and a couple days of food as well as extra set of warm clothes. Your gear will need to be light weight and pack small. I've seen a few through-hikers use them, but as long as your gear isn't too bulky, it should work.

Hmmyeah, issue is that I have a couple of light pieces that don't pack super small (e.g. my jacket is synthetic, I want to carry a camera) + will have some non-hiking extras with me (and sometimes be carrying excess clothing/gear for conditions, as I have to take everything with me). I'm wary it's probably touch and go on the small side, but I can't find anything else as good in my price range:/

Leonidas

https://lighterpack.com/r/d5qioo

That was what I carried in it for our first AT section... embarrassing to say the least.

This is how it will be setup this summer.

https://lighterpack.com/r/a095rr
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Definitely a small volume pack. However, mine has become my go to year round pack. I can fit my Tarptent Moment, Thermarest NeoAir mattress, 20* Down bag, Rain coat and pants, softball sized toiletry and ditty bag, MSR Titan kettle, spare clothing (2 softballs size), crocs, and food bag for several days in the main compartment. At this point the roll top stills rolls down almost to the shoulder straps. One side pocket holds my TP kit the other holds a couple small bottles of alcohol fuel. The big outside pocket holds my down jacket in the winter and bandanas or flat bottles of booze other times. The waist pockets are the most useful I have had on a pack. One holds maps and small camera and the other holds 3 or 4 snack bars for the day. 20 oz. water bottles are held on the straps with loops of shock cord. If I am hanging instead of tenting I can fit my hammock, tarp, top and bottom 20* quilts in place of the tent-mattress-sleeping bag. The only time I felt limited was when I tried to pack food for a 5 day trip. I think I could have done it since I would be eating 20% of the initial food volume every day but I just bought one of the 65 liter versions (2014 model on sale)and used it instead.

The clearance Fusion 50L is a great pack for the price. The suspension really shines when you load it up. I took mine out with my wife for three days on the AT (Three Forks to Neel Gap) and carrying my gear and some of hers to save her knees, I loaded out at about 35lbs total, and it carried really well and I never had any comfort issues.

My only complaint is that the side and back pockets could be a little more spacious, and I understand they addressed that with the newer model. But for a Benjamin you really can't go wrong with the prior year's model.

Sweet price on that pack...TrailPartner(tm) is making noises...thanks for that...

My kid has one. It's a little short for my 22" length. Nice quality and build . Heavy loads carry very well .

Thom

Great, thanks for that feedback guys! Definitely clarified some things

I've been using the Fusion 50 since shortly after its initial release. It takes a bit of tweaking/tuning/adjusting but, once it's dialed in it is incredibly comfortable transferring almost all the weight to the hips....the hipbelt is much stiffer/firmer than most packs in this weight category which complements the frame very well. Yes, as others have mentioned the pockets could be more spacious but I've yet to have anything fall out. Personally I prefer the first edition (especially at the closeout price) as the current edition gained considerable weight.

I would be interested in hearing more about the durability of these packs. I haven't even handled a SMD or ULA pack so I'm not really sure what to expect. How would the durability compare to the Granite Gear Blaze packs? For that matter, how would the suspensions compare (if anyone here has experience with both)?

I'm not familiar at all with GG packs.

I have both a SMD Fusion 50 and a ULA CDT. Both are solidly constructed and there's no reason they shouldn't last a long time with reasonable care and handling. I'm not a guy that babies my gear, typically, and I have no qualms with either pack.

The suspension on the SMD Fusion 50 is far superior. I can load the SMD up with 35-40 lbs and it carries well over 12-15 miles per day of backpacking.

The ULA CDT has no suspension other than a piece of foam pad in the back. They recommend not carrying more than 18 lbs in it, not because of structure, simply because of lack of frame. I have loaded it with 25-30 for a 7-8 mile trip and over 20 for a 14 mile trip with no ill effects, but it definitely doesn't carry weight as well as my SMD.

All that said I need a larger pack for backpacking trips and am pretty sure I will be going with the ULA Circuit.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by oreocereus View Post
    To anyone who has one - could you tell me a bit about the volume? Maybe sharing your packlists would be helpful - I'm having issues visualising if I'd be able to fit my gear.

My pack is the last thing i'm upgrading (from a hugely overweight 65L pack). I think I should be able to fit my stuff, but I'm a litttle unsure, as I want to be able to use this for a long overseas trip, where I'll be hiking + travelling (and hence packing more than an average 3 season hike). This is my https://lighterpack.com/r/emvths
    I got the old version of the 65L. the side and back pocket capacities are a little overblown and the main compartment is probably without the top rolled down. anyway, it carries more like a 50-55L. but that's not a bad thing.

the new version of this is probably a more accurate volume but it's also heavier. enough that I think there's better options for the money...

Images

I used a SMD Fusion 65 on my section from Daleville to Harpers Ferry last summer, it was on clearance when i bought it (Christmas 2015 $100). I loved it on the hike, on my scale in is an ounce or 2 shy of 3lbs. It transfers load really well to the hips through its actual internal frame.

Images

14481892_1429709843711140_2092349615600136727_o.jpg I changed the color of mine also.

Quote Originally Posted by PAHiker View Post
    Definitely a small volume pack. However, mine has become my go to year round pack. I can fit my Tarptent Moment, Thermarest NeoAir mattress, 20* Down bag, Rain coat and pants, softball sized toiletry and ditty bag, MSR Titan kettle, spare clothing (2 softballs size), crocs, and food bag for several days in the main compartment. At this point the roll top stills rolls down almost to the shoulder straps. One side pocket holds my TP kit the other holds a couple small bottles of alcohol fuel. The big outside pocket holds my down jacket in the winter and bandanas or flat bottles of booze other times. The waist pockets are the most useful I have had on a pack. One holds maps and small camera and the other holds 3 or 4 snack bars for the day. 20 oz. water bottles are held on the straps with loops of shock cord. If I am hanging instead of tenting I can fit my hammock, tarp, top and bottom 20* quilts in place of the tent-mattress-sleeping bag. The only time I felt limited was when I tried to pack food for a 5 day trip. I think I could have done it since I would be eating 20% of the initial food volume every day but I just bought one of the 65 liter versions (2014 model on sale)and used it instead.
    An update to the Fusion 50 experience: I took this pack out this year for a four day - three night backpack trip and was able to get everything in the Fusion 50 this time around. You have to carefully consider the weather conditions and your needs vs. wants but it can be done. I carried a hammock, tarp, summer weight down sleeping bag, thermarest self inflating pad, 2 lb. Moon Lentz camp chair, Frogg Toggs rain suit, clothes bag, food bag for 4 days, Caldera Cone stove (which does not fit in my pot so adds an extra item to fit in the pack), cookpot, and the other usual items and it all fit in the pack with the chair riding in the external sleeping pad straps at the bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++