Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Great!! I don't mind bears at all and Skyline Drive is easy for pick up. Pretty easy hiking through there too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

doeontrail...does SOBO from Harper's Ferry fit what you had in mind? You WERE the one who started all this

Images

Hi ladies! I just came across this thread and would love to join you if it works out for me. I have been looking for other women who enjoy hiking as much as I do! I love the enthusiasm in all the posts!
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

The more the merrier, and safer too!!

[QUOTE=dink;2055124]The more the merrier, and safer too!!

+1

I am doing my first shakedown trip in early September. Harpers Ferry to PA/MD line. 4 nights at about 8 to 10 a day. If ladies would like to hike with me, it will be very entertaining watching me going through the learning curve of my first trip.

I did that trip going southbound 2 summers ago...nice hiking!

July 30 works for me. MamaSmurf you are right - hiking just begats more hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
    doeontrail...does SOBO from Harper's Ferry fit what you had in mind? You WERE the one who started all this
    Those dates sound great for me! I'm so excited to see so many wanting me join in!

I got the OK for vacation time off the 1st week of August...so excited!!

Sounds great! I am marking it on my calendar! I've already gone thru my gear and trying to decide what to change. I currently have a 2 man tent that my husband has always carried. I'm looking for something lighter that I can carry myself when hiking solo. Any suggestions? I'd like some input on hammocks too...

There is a learning curve with hammocks...took me some time on the hammock hangers web site to figure things out, plus going to a group hang to see thing in person.

I think I might be able to make this also! I have another trip scheduled for Aug 8th so I may need to drop out a day early, but I am sure it will all work out. If anyone wants to start a few days earlier I'ld be interested in that too! Either South or North from Harpers Ferry works well.

Sounds like we are going to have a great group of ladies heading down the trail!

Mama Smurf and Dink-What hammock do you have and how do you like it? I've been watching you tube videos and researching for the last 2 days! AND...having a great time doing so!

I have a ENO double, a Yukon with an integrated bugnet, a 11' Dutch made, a Wilderness, a couple of others that I can't remember who made them, and of course a few bug nets and tarps...not all for me of course, 2 grandchildren to outfit too!!

Edited because I forgot "how do I like it" part of the question...I need much more hanging time in each before I decide my favorite...but so far I don't really have a favorite, they all are just fine to me!!
    Last edited by dink; 04-02-2016 at 20:22.

I have an ENO single, and a Trek Light Gear single. They are very similar. I will have a bug net net cocoon before I get to HF, for sure. Have two different tarps, as well. I had rain my first two nights out, and the first night I got a little wet (not too bad) the second night I did much better with the tarp (the smaller one, my daughter had the larger) and stayed dry. I was happy it only took one night to figure that out!!! I currently have an inflatable BA pad. no under quilt. really debating that one. I know on the AT there WILL be nights I go to ground, or need a pad for a wooden hostel bunk. These old bones DO NOT sleep well on a CCF pad. I expect I'll be buying a Ray Way kit for a top quilt soon. Probably 2 of them, different temp ratings. Summer version is only about $90, which is quite reasonable to me.

No going to ground or hard wooden platform for me...since I started hanging, I just can't bear to go back to "regular" camping!! I picked up a few Costco down quilts to make DIY underquilts for me and the grandkids so that is what I will be using on the AT this summer. I also carry a truck size windshield sun block thing if I just need a little extra insulation.

My Big Agnes air mattress makes going to ground bearable. I used it in the Smokies, b/c I did not meet the criteria to get a thru permit, so was constrained to shelters. It worked very well. That said, my best trail sleep has been hanging. I will be interested to see your sun guard add-on. I have some gear decisions to make still for a thru hike.

I hung my son's ENO double in the basement yesterday (It was 20 degrees with snowy winds blowing like crazy so I didn't want to go outside. Brrr..come back spring!). It is about 60 degrees in the basement and after lying in it for 15 minutes, my underside started to feel cool. I put in a exercise mat with my down quilt and was fine...at 60 degrees. I have watched a video on using the car sun reflectors on top of mats and I've watched a video on the Costco quilts for an underquilt. So many great diy ideas out there. Dink..! Wow, you have alot of hammocks! Do any have a double layer underneath to slide a pad into? Or do you think a single layer with an underquilt is a better system? I would definitely getting a bug net too. For those bringing tents..what do you have and how do you like them?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++