Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Smile Girls week? Hiking for a week on the AT this summer...

I'm looking for other women who would like to hike for a week on the AT. I am flexible on location and dates this summer. I have some commitments, but hoping we can work something out. I have hiked Snickers Gap to Washington Monument already. I can do 8-12 miles a day, depending on the terrain. I dream of doing a thru hike one day.

I would be interested! I can only talk my friends into day hikes. I am in North Jersey so it should be easy to meet up. In general Mid May to Mid June is open - I have commitments the rest of the summer. I am trying to build up my milage - I would say 8-10 would better suit me - but I am hoping to increase that. I do have a group trip this April - so after that I will have a better idea of what kind of milage works for me.
    I have just started getting back into Backpacking but I don't get a chance to get out much - and then usually only one or two overnights.
    Let me know if you are interested!
    Anne

I am tempted, but suspect that I couldn't make the logistics work out. If you get a firmer idea of dates, I might be able to work something out. I've done southern VA, and the Smokies, but I am not against repeating any sections. In planning for a thru next year, this could be a good shakedown of gear trip.

I am trying to plan a hike this summer too...was looking at harpers ferry heading south for a week...can't do the last week of june but the rest of the summer is open...never had a hiking partner except for my grandson for a short trip!

I work at a school until the end of June..the very end. And it looks like the first 2 weeks of July are committed to putting hay in the barn for the winter. We have a small beef farm. After that I will be free. August is wide open. Dink-Harpers Ferry south would be very doable for me. My daughter lives about an hour from there and could help with transportation. Let's keep in touch!

I like a late July -- August time frame. I think I can make that work

I'm interested in a late July/Aug hike from Harpers. I'm planning to hike Hot Springs to Erwin in June - trying to make or break these 2017 thru hike thoughts that won't go away! Usually head out solo - girls trip sounds fun.

Sounds like maybe we can get a few ladies together for a stroll on the AT this summer!! doeontrail, let me know what works for you and I will take off work. I will have a weekend some time in august that I have to take the grandson to cub scout camp (I'm the den leader) but not sure which weekend the pack is signing up for yet...will know by may. I don't tent either, hammocks for me...soooooo comfortable!!!

If the dates work, could I join? I was supposed to be on my first ever trip right this moment, but weather prevented the trip. It'd be nice to start out with some women who have some experience!

Jebo--Hiking never made the thru thoughts go away, only made them stronger. Dink-- I also prefer hammocks!

We all need to make this happen!! Pick a good time frame for the majority, figure out where cars will be left, etc...looking forward to a great time with a great bunch of ladies!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would like to join as well and would be available last week of July/almost anytime in August.
    Trillium

I might be interested too! I am new to hiking and am doing a lodge to lodge in the Shandendoah's in May. Dreaming of a thru hike and it is my goal this summer to do some true backpacking (without lodges) to get a feel for it so I can plan for a thru hike. Would be great experience for me to learn from all of you. If I know the dates ahead, I can do July/Aug too (I'm a school social worker so have lots of summer availability).
    ~Therapy

Sounds like almost everybody is OK with late July into August...so lets hear which week is good for everybody. If we have enough ladies interested, we might even split into different groups, faster moving bunch and slower moving bunch...I'll be in the slow group being a flat-lander!!

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    Sounds like almost everybody is OK with late July into August...so lets hear which week is good for everybody. If we have enough ladies interested, we might even split into different groups, faster moving bunch and slower moving bunch...I'll be in the slow group being a flat-lander!!
    I'm a flatlander as well, plus I had a meniscus tear last August so I'll likely be in the slower group as well.

I'd liked to suggest July 30 - Aug 6. Gather in Harper's Ferry on July 30 and hike out on July 31. Shuttle back to Harper's Ferry on Aug 6. Drive home on Aug 7. What do the rest of you ladies think?

If I can talk my husband into driving me, he can go visit his sister in Roanoke while we are hiking, then can meet us on Sat, Aug 6 to shuttle several ladies back to Harper's Ferry.
    Trillium

Works for me Trillium...OK ladies what say you all to these dates?!?

I couldn't say for sure if it'll work for me until at least the beginning of July, so I'll say "strong maybe" for now. How exciting!

dates should work for me.....I just have to see if I can get all the logistics taken care of. New to hiking and don't have all my equipment yet and have to work out the logistics.
    ~Therapy

At the 8 to 12 mile a day range, that will put us in Skyline Drive for an endpoint... bears oh my!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

But Skyline is so pretty, too. And that's an easy retrieval for my husband, as well. The July 30--Aug 6/7 works for me, and I can also push those endpoints either way.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++