Default non permit section?

Is there a several hundred mile section of the FT that I don't need permits on and is near someplace I can fly or bus in? I am financially able to hike year round now and the FT seems like the only viable winter option. I want to spend the winter down there before I do the PCT, after I finish my 2016 AT thru. I don't know when I will be down there, so I can't really file for permits. I don't mind paying the fees, it's just I'm not sure when or where I will be.

Mainly just looking for a long section with few roadwalks I can hike up and down over the winter, or at least spend a few months out there.

Thanks.

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.floridatrail.org/
    This is A great place to start,they are really friendly there and will answer all your questions.
    As far as I know there isnt any permits to hike the FT but im no expert.
    It is already starting to get really warm here and I would defiantly wait until fall or winter...

Actually there are quite a few areas of the Florida Trail requiring permits.

I was thinking about the Seminole Reservation and Eglin AFB (which has gotten even more complicated) but after checking out the web site I see there are quite a few places that require permits for camping.

Most of of them are free.

http://www.floridatrail.org/fnst/permits/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice link WingedMonkey ..
    I knew there were A few place but thought that if you registered with the FTA for A thru hike of the FT that they handled the permits for the two mentioned areas,again im no expert on this matter but just what I have researched and read.
    I know there are thru hike passes that you can obtain from FTA but yes nice link

the ocala national forest is a nice section with little roadwalk and no permits. I think that lower section from southern terminus to lake okechobee can be done with only the indian land permit. read some trailjournals on the florida trail to get an idea of the hiking. handlebar has a good journal this year. generally, its a lot of roadwalk.

Journal Entries
    Images

the ocala national forest is a nice section with little roadwalk and no permits. I think that lower section from southern terminus to lake okechobee can be done with only the indian land permit. read some trailjournals on the florida trail to get an idea of the hiking. handlebar has a good journal this year. generally, its a lot of roadwalk.
    The ocala area does look quite nice.
    I am planning a big section of the FT possibly this winter to train for the AT next summer.
    I live about 7 miles from the FT,citrus section.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    I think that lower section from southern terminus to lake okechobee can be done with only the indian land permit.
    Big Cypress National Preserve requires back country permits. They are free and available at the Oasis Ranger Station (now the southern terminus) or can be filled out and printed online.

http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisi...ry-permits.htm
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

++ New Posts ++