WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I have a Kataadn Pro Hiker. I haven't used it yet. I used a Lifestraw on the few weekend trips I have taken and now I also have AM drops and Khatadn BeFree bottle as well. Any feedback on the Khatadn ProHiker? Not really hi-jacking the thread, as I suppose if reviews are favorable, it would be an alternative to the Sawyer Mini, which is what the OP asked.
    The katadyn hiker pro was awesome back in the day, 10 years ago it was my absolute favorite filter. However it's been left behind by the new generation of filters.

Quote Originally Posted by dog812 View Post
    I have heard mixed reviews about the hiker pro. My buddy has one, but never brings it cause it's too heavy. He just brings his Sawyer mini.
    I have also heard the hiker breaks easy due to it being a ceramic filter.
    It does not have a ceramic filter---you must be thinking of the Katadyn mini etc.

The Hiker cartridge is a paper filter.

Like I said, the Sawyer models cannot pull water up from seep pools and nowadays with the drought seep pools is about all we're getting save for the major creeks we encounter.

I will agree on this: The Hiker filter has an engineering flaw which results in broken pump handles. The plastic weld on the pump handle breaks with ease due to shoddy design. It can be fixed with a screw thru the handle and down into the pump shaft.

Still drought conditions with all the rain?

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the platypus gravity works and it its fast flowing and simple to use. Granted it could be hard to get water out of puddles.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Place a mini inline with a camelback. Just drink on the go and can use as gravity feed in camp.

Journal Entries
    Images

Possibly IMO the best thread at WB.

Can we make this a STICKY?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-09-2016 at 23:45. Reason: Can we make this a STICKY?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter
    The Hiker cartridge is a paper filter.
    Which made it super cool back in the day, lighter and easier to pump than it's ceramic competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter
    Like I said, the Sawyer models cannot pull water up from seep pools and nowadays with the drought seep pools is about all we're getting save for the major creeks we encounter.
    There was a drought my year. In NJ/NY having a scoop was good *shrug* thru hiking without a pump filter worked fine, it's what most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Still drought conditions with all the rain?
    depends on where you are. In SE TN, where I am (and not far from Tipi Walter I would guess), we are in the worst drought category. Most of the rest of the state is in one category of drought or another. So we didn't get rain from the hurricane.
    20161011_tn_none.png

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    The katadyn hiker pro was awesome back in the day, 10 years ago it was my absolute favorite filter. However it's been left behind by the new generation of filters.
    It really depends on how many people you are filtering water for. I have used a Katadyn hiker pro for years, though I now use it when there will be two or more people water has to be filtered for. Time savings and convenience make the difference there. I have never suffered broken handles or any parts as some have, but I use gentle, smooth motions with the pump structure which may make the difference. That said, if I am alone these days, I use the Sawyer mini and keep it near the body when its cold outside.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++