WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default 'Save the Doyle': One couple's campaign to rescue an historic Appalachian Trail hotel

PennLive.com

'Save the Doyle': One couple's campaign to rescue an historic Appalachian Trail hotel
    PennLive.com
    Thousands of weary travelers coming off the Appalachian Trial have relied on the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon for a good night's rest and a shower. But now, it's the hotel that needs some relief. Owners Pat and Vickey Kelly owe about $9,000 in back taxes ...
    Historic Doyle Hotel in danger of closing | WPMT FOX43FOX43.com

all 2 news articles »

More...

“With no hikers on the trail during the winter season, the timing of the tax deadlines and mortgage deadlines just hits at the wrong time of year,” said Pat Kelly."

Sorry.. this is absurd. They have been in business long enough (after the first year lol) to know didn't know they needed to save $$$ to make sure they can cover the tax payments like every other business in the country.

Made a dupe post, sorry.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 03-09-2016 at 23:07.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlaze View Post

Sorry.. this is absurd. They have been in business long enough (after the first year lol) to know didn't know they needed to save $$$ to make sure they can cover the tax payments like every other business in the country.
    But if you don't make quite enough in the busy season to offset the slow season, it's a loosing battle. 1200 hikers at $25 a night is only $30,000, not much gross to run a building like that on.

I hope they manage to stay open one more season so I can visit one last time, but the long suffering Doyle may finally pass into history.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The Go Fund Me page is confusing. The funding goal in the upper right hand corner azppears to be $10,000 but the text mentios that the building needs $80,000 of plumbing work.
    To help keep this trail haven active, the Doyle needs your help for capital plumbing improvements in the amount of $80K.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    The Go Fund Me page is confusing. The funding goal in the upper right hand corner azppears to be $10,000 but the text mentios that the building needs $80,000 of plumbing work.

if youve been to the doyle youd realize that makes absolute perfect sense.

The original GFM was $80K for plumbing upgrades. However, after the GFM was started, the Kelly's were apparently notified that they had mortgage and taxes to pay or they would lose the Doyle. At that point, it appears the GFM was reduced to $10K to focus purely on the mortgages/taxes due under the assumption that new plumbing is pointless if you lose the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to the Doyle twice and thought the Kelly's were awesome people. Very friendly and welcoming. That said, did they really think that was a good investment and business plan? From reading here and other places, it sounds like the Doyle has been on a downward spiral for a long time (before they purchased it). I do agree that it will have an impact on the community and the Kelly's and feel bad for that but when will the next gofundme be setup once the back taxes and this round of mortgages are paid? Sometimes you gotta cut your losses.

Quote Originally Posted by admirald7s View Post
    The original GFM was $80K for plumbing upgrades. However, after the GFM was started, the Kelly's were apparently notified that they had mortgage and taxes to pay or they would lose the Doyle. At that point, it appears the GFM was reduced to $10K to focus purely on the mortgages/taxes due under the assumption that new plumbing is pointless if you lose the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's try that again.
    image.jpeg

Be it mismanagement or misfortune it doesn't negate that the loss of the landmark is imminent. Maybe they'll learn from this. Either way, I think I can give up a latte or two to help!

"Geoff and Molly walked two blocks to the Doyle Hotel, the crumbling fossil of a once grand inn. In 1990 as now, its bar served wonderful burgers and cheap draft beer, but even at $11 a night, the 23 peeling, spider-infested rooms upstairs were only so much of a bargain. They shared just three baths."

None of the following is specific to the Doyle.

I've seen far too many people get into business without, or with an entirely unrealistic business plan. Severely under-capitalized to begin with, never able to catch up. They can be great people, who are talented at the actual trade but just have no sense of the economics involved. Often the nicest people are the worst business owners.

Many seasonal businesses try to pay their employees year round, even when they have no work for them, which doesn't really help the employee in the long term. They don't know how to set pricing, and don't realize when they're losing money on certain services or items. If you're going to have a loss leader, to get people in the door, you have to overcharge on some other vital service, otherwise customers will just take advantage of that loss leading service/item and go their merry way. Many owners just stick their heads in the sand, and hope, rather than taking steps to solve the problems.

Crowdfunding is a new wrinkle. It can help if, and only if the business has a plan to wisely invest that money, and just generally make better economic choices in the future.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 03-10-2016 at 23:42.

I actually think when I went through years ago , the place was between owners as I remember there was a sign on the door to go check at nearby realtor and they would check us in.

There are frequently folks who post on whiteblaze wanting to open a hostel, some of us try to point out reality but reality always gets in the way of a dream. It would be interesting to hear from any hostel owner in compliance with the law who can claim to actually break even on hiker hostel. The businesses in my area of NH look at hiker traffic as additional income to some other business or far more often its hobby they fund from their savings. The majority of the locations are just one accident from closing down as few actually have insurance that would cover an accident on their premises.

Hey guys, another quick thought, as I've already written on this matter on Facebook and elsewhere: This is not about how unhappy you were with your room, lack of amenities, whatever. The Doyle is not the hotel Australia and has never tried to be. Instead, it's a very special place, run by really great folks. If you were lucky enough to meet them, and had a good time there, and wanna help them out in their time of need, well I think that's GREAT. If you don't, well swell, but this is not the time or place to rip on the place. Pat and Vickey over the years have performed kindnesses for hikers THAT CANNOT BE COUNTED, so unless you have something nice to say about the place, or the extraordinary people who move sun and moon to keep it open.....well, this is not your thread.

What a great place to stop in for a beer or a lunch. Stopped in a couple times when my wife and I were hiking in the area. Very nice lunches. Give if you can to keep a great business open. Just consider it a late tip if you need to.

I hope they stay open as I will plan to spend some money and a night there this spring or summer on my next section hike duncannon to port Clinton.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hey guys, another quick thought, as I've already written on this matter on Facebook and elsewhere: This is not about how unhappy you were with your room, lack of amenities, whatever. The Doyle is not the hotel Australia and has never tried to be. Instead, it's a very special place, run by really great folks. If you were lucky enough to meet them, and had a good time there, and wanna help them out in their time of need, well I think that's GREAT. If you don't, well swell, but this is not the time or place to rip on the place. Pat and Vickey over the years have performed kindnesses for hikers THAT CANNOT BE COUNTED, so unless you have something nice to say about the place, or the extraordinary people who move sun and moon to keep it open.....well, this is not your thread.
    Too true..only stopped in there once but Pat and Vickey were upfront and welcoming, particularly after I had showered off the day's hike! Sad to see good people going downhill financially, sounds like they could do with a wealthy silent partner. As it happens, you were there that evening Jack with Box of Tricks who kindly turned me on to a pair of crocs, which I still have today almost four years later!
    Considering the overall cost of a thru hike, a small donation to such a wonderful landmark and its owners doesn't seem such a big deal. Hope it works out for them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Too true..only stopped in there once but Pat and Vickey were upfront and welcoming, particularly after I had showered off the day's hike! Sad to see good people going downhill financially, sounds like they could do with a wealthy silent partner. As it happens, you were there that evening Jack with Box of Tricks who kindly turned me on to a pair of crocs, which I still have today almost four years later!
    Considering the overall cost of a thru hike, a small donation to such a wonderful landmark and its owners doesn't seem such a big deal. Hope it works out for them.

Journal Entries

Sorry folks, it posted twice!

Not that it would help now, but I wonder if presenting the idea of a TIF project to the taxing authority for improvements considering the historical, social, and economic considerations involved here.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++