WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Dear admirald7's,, i may not have ever lifted a finger to fix the doyel, but i only take enough toilet paper to get to the next hostle or hotel.
    matthewski

Abc buissness makeover chose the doyel to interveiw about a makeover of not just the doyel, it was to be the pilot show and the whole town would have been done.
    Me and jester and baltimore jack and pat and miss vic all got interviewed on camera about our exsperiences with the doyel.
    it came down to two places and the doyel was one. They asked miss vickey if it was okay if they raised the doyel and built a replica, she said okay.
    But in the end it was a no go.
    matthewski

I believe Duncannon's "golden age" was the canal boat era. It sits at the confluence of the Susquehanna and Juniata Rivers. The latter was an important east/west waterway at that time. I'm sure another WBer can confirm or add to this.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    You are correct. I lived just down the road in Carlisle. In the 25 years since I've graduated high school, dozens of huge manufacturing plants and previous "mainstay" companies have left.
    That's the story of rust-belt America. It's a yooge problem, but it's been going on for a long time. So we're left with Pat and Vicki trying to eke out a living in this derelict historical building. Sad that it's come to this.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    this is our matty and his art
    spy vs spy...Nice!

Images

So when we going to there?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    So when we going to there?
    Mondy mornin' 7 o'clock start

Duncannon, or " the jewel of the sussqhanna" as it was called became a bottleneck of sorts where every barge had to be unloaded and reloaded across the river and that made its hayday.
    As hikers take mutzy's free shuttle up the mountain from the doyel each day in hiking season, they unknowingly speed by an important site just 10 feet from the road off in the woods lies the old road that used to bring every car thru duncannon.
    Its a bit of asphalt that ends in a straight cut and turns to dirt.
    I allways say, the day a highway worker plased a cone in the road and declared rt 11/15 open, on that day when duncannon was bipassed , was its death.
    If my god has a plan for me to be a philanthropist thru moneys my art makes, after redoing the town, opening a history museum and buying 3b's.......i plan on cutting off the last 12 inches of roadbed from that old road and putting it up as a monument to rebirth as a sculpture in a sculpture garden i have planned for ada park.
    matthewski

Journal Entries

Well, guess what? The #1 NOBO (Speedstick) and the #1 SOBO (Hiking Viking) met each other recently at The Doyle. They got a little bit of local media coverage, and were able to contribute some attention to the Doyle's plight, which no doubt helped them reach their funding goal quickly.

Here's an excerpt from Speedstick's blog:
    ...it’s a special moment that only two hikers can ever share. It only happens once, when the first northbound hiker of the year meets the first southbound hiker of the year. And it happened at The Doyle, where on an otherwise quiet Thursday, tables were filled with patrons, friends and supporters...
    http://marriedtothetrail.com/

At $25 a hiker you'd think they'd be swimming in money! What planet do you live on? In my opinion, you sound like one of those hikers that I see all the time on the AT. You take hostel owners, trail angels and everyone else who selflessly helps a hiker out for granted. I'd suggest you give back a little more, maybe then you wouldn't have such a snarky attitude!

My comments about the snarky attitude are for Greenblaze.

If the end is near for the Doyles, then has anyone considered a last meal for it closes? I would've love seen pictures of it in it's peak.

If more income/customer traffic is needed in the off season, then the Doyle should look at possible destination events for the Harrisburg crowd. For example, making it into a speakeasy with costumed employees/owners specializing in prohibition mixers with entertainment and "prohibition" staged events like flapper gals doing an act, etc.. Or having a turn of the century theme Or even steampunk may help drive intrest in a traveling destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocen View Post
    My comments about the snarky attitude are for Greenblaze.
    "all the time on the AT" .. so let me guess .. you live on and traverse all sections of the AT regularly? Oh.. you're just talking about some tiny section in Maine. Either way, my comments are rooted in reality. Sorry it doesn't fit into your fantasy land where bills can go unpaid, taxes aren't collected, and managing a business effectively isn't necessary. You know nothing about other hikers, what they have done, or what they have given back, so making blanket statements and assumptions targeting a large group is absurd. /digress

Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    If more income/customer traffic is needed in the off season, then the Doyle should look at possible destination events for the Harrisburg crowd. For example, making it into a speakeasy with costumed employees/owners specializing in prohibition mixers with entertainment and "prohibition" staged events like flapper gals doing an act, etc.. Or having a turn of the century theme Or even steampunk may help drive intrest in a traveling destination.
    There are several places like you describe in the Harrisburg area, one near Lancaster has dinner events in an attached cave system. The problem is this and hoards of AT hikers are mutually exclusive. Cheap dive for hikers vs. more upscale for civilians.

Micro brewery

Whats needed to save our doyel, is an attraction.

Every room in the hotel must be painted with dayglow paints and blacklights installed.
    A pet deer must be allowed to live in the hallways.
    Photographs of air conditioners and microwaves and coffie makers must be put up in the rooms.
    matthewski

Matty with the day glow paints backlights and a tame pet deer in the hall is glorious. Putting up pictures of a microwave, AC, and a coffee maker would be better if they were framed.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    Whats needed to save our doyel, is an attraction.

Every room in the hotel must be painted with dayglow paints and blacklights installed.o
    A pet deer must be allowed to live in the hallways.
    Photographs of air conditioners and microwaves and coffie makers must be put up in the rooms.
    id fear for the deer, might end up crankin' out a puppy monkey baby with all the freaky over sexed crazed hairy thru hikers.

Some frat boys my daughter knows set up a go fund me page and bought a velossa raptor for the house, told all the people who funds what it was for too...that made it and got one.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++