WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Romanticism is never a good business modle, and the old saying of "throwing good money after bad" comes to mind.

And not fur nothin' the thread is a news story, and all that follow are options to that story, I could care less if someone wants to give or not give, I'd never tell anyone what to do with thier money but my kids.

Perhaps the Kellys would find a happier life if freed from the perceived responsibilities of keeping the hotel afloat. Perhaps what ever might spring up to fill the void left by the demise of the Doyle hotel would make the world a better place. Perhaps "Enabling" the Kellys to continue down a self-destructive path is not the act of kindness it was intended.

Two sides of ever issue, no need to scold me because you disagree.

-

funding this failing business is no dumber than funding someones vacation ( "trail magic" )

Journal Entries

Without a positive cash flow model that includes maintenance, repair, upgrades, all you can do is postpone the inevitable a little while longer. Such is the life cycle of every structure.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    And not fur nothin' the thread is a news story, and all that follow are options to that story, I could care less if someone wants to give or not give, I'd never tell anyone what to do with thier money but my kids.
    opinions...not options, ugh!

What did I miss in my reading that the Doyles can't take out a home equity line of credit? First to pay the tax bill, then to attend to repairs. Where does the National Register of Historic Places stand on this?

Aren't these people in their 70s? Where would they go? Who would hire them in a culture of age discrimination? They need an angel investor who will take charge of the financial mess, and still allow the Doyle's to run the place, live there. Can this story be moved beyond the AT community and into the national press (if it hasn't already)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hey guys, another quick thought, as I've already written on this matter on Facebook and elsewhere: This is not about how unhappy you were with your room, lack of amenities, whatever. The Doyle is not the hotel Australia and has never tried to be. Instead, it's a very special place, run by really great folks. If you were lucky enough to meet them, and had a good time there, and wanna help them out in their time of need, well I think that's GREAT. If you don't, well swell, but this is not the time or place to rip on the place. Pat and Vickey over the years have performed kindnesses for hikers THAT CANNOT BE COUNTED, so unless you have something nice to say about the place, or the extraordinary people who move sun and moon to keep it open.....well, this is not your thread.
    I hate having to agree with Jack but every now and then it happens.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Where does the National Register of Historic Places stand on this?
    What would NRHP have to stand on? The register is merely a honorary designation that does not provide protection or preservation. There have been nearly 1000 properties removed from the register, usually because of their destruction. Not all historic buildings are worthy or structurally sound enough to be saved.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

MATTY'S PRAYER
    by mat
    One nanosecond after being handed artworlds septer and robe for being found to be the tru and rightfull heir to the citidel of artopia...........
    Matty , being the consumate philadelphia historical home and landmark painter with such feathers in his cap as, the hill physic kieth house, the philadelphia atheneum, the samual powell house , stenton museum, psfs building, and more......
    Would do this to pat and miss vickys doyel;
    first, i shut off all the power and string worklights to a desil generater.
    Next, i empty the building of all things that arent naild down and some that are to make a workspace.
    Then i have fourty yard dumpsters placed on site and remove all the plaster and lath walls, plumbing , electricals and every bit of trim from windows to doors and baseboards and all.
    These would go to a dip tank stripper and be returned to site nutralized and ready for finnish and reinstallation.
    the plumbing and heating and air conditioning would utilize the new close order deliverys for heat and air and fle
    matthewski

Default matty's prayer continued

The walls would be layed up over insulation of a type providing straw bale construction's r values , in real whitecoat plaster over brown rough coat as it was.
    the tin roof would be salvaged and repaired. Floors sanded and butcher waxed for a no fuss finish.
    A drip hose systym would be strung and a temporary drain layed about the buildings footprint and let to drip water over the bricks for about a year. This is the newgreen way of cleaning brick of soot.
    finally, a levy would be built to shield the structure from flood.
    after the reinstallation of the trim and windows, painting and severe gardening, pat and miss vicky would have a party with horses and we would all go rideing.
    matthewski

You can do all that? You should buy the doily and serve free beer and haircuts.

The exterior wood trim of the doyel is black walnut. Every sill, frame and mutton. If you look on the side faceing away from the prevailing weather, zero rot on the now fully bare of paint sills exists. Thats how quality the building is.
    The brickpoint is "butterknife". That means the joints are tiny thin allowing more brick and les mortor for strength.
    also, the pointing will be done with stoned mortor as it was adding to the amazing strength.
    a piano will be installed on the checkered red and white tile floor area of the stairwell.
    Windowsill boxes will grow herbs in every room to offset the funk of a thousand hiker years.
    The sent of rosemary will greet the guest.
    The sound of ragtime and clasical and all manner of music.
    Extensive gardens will suround the newly renovated doyel.
    the original style swing bench will be replaced onto the two hooks that still hang in the porch ceiling just outstde pat and miss vicks side door.
    a massive, passive , rooftop, solar hot water heater would be fabricated and placed on the roof to gravity feed the buildings needs.
    paraboloc solar cookers will be built and placed on a slab in the rear lot for a hiker kitchen.
    A rainwater colection system would fill a set of drums along the driveway creating a gravity fed garden water drip feed system to prevent having to water the above ground concentric ring garden to be built on a deck spanning the rear lot.
    matthewski

Room 23 will be left as a time capsule and sealed permenently for future archiologists.
    I will take up residence in "the loft". A structure so cool, i may die of coolness.
    A bare bones platform that hangs below the kupala makeing that sundrenched centerpoint of veiws, my new lair.
    It shall be called 23 and no reference to the original rm 23 will ever be made again.
    We will remove old 23's door and plaster a wall there.
    This will be our gift to the future. Sealed with all its treasures, and curty gaurding against robbers.
    matthewski

The numbers:
    At five mil job cost and one years work, a general contractor only in charge of oversight would pull about a million salery. Well, im fully qualified and way exsperienced on this exact type project and offer my servises for the cost of food, diabetic crap and rent to keep my apt in the city. So theres 80,000$ off the cost right off the top.
    add grant bucks for everything from solarizing to being old.
    also, shares could be offered as this will be a for profit mission.
    Finnaly, i offer all 1600 peices of my artwork representing millions when, not if....im supreem ruler and potentatme of artworld.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    The numbers:
    At five mil job cost and one years work, a general contractor only in charge of oversight would pull about a million salery. Well, im fully qualified and way exsperienced on this exact type project and offer my servises for the cost of food, diabetic crap and rent to keep my apt in the city. So theres 80,000$ off the cost right off the top.
    add grant bucks for everything from solarizing to being old.
    also, shares could be offered as this will be a for profit mission.
    Finnaly, i offer all 1600 peices of my artwork representing millions when, not if....im supreem ruler and potentatme of artworld.
    Ment100,000$ salery for a gc.
    matthewski

I'll be blunt. Your posts read like many SBIR proposals from industry I'm evaluating now - just give me lots of money, and we can solve all your problems! If you really want to help the Doyle, have the requisite skills, are truly offering your services, and can arrange this $5M necessary to do your purposes restoration, then be practical and please contact the owners directly. Otherwise, you're just on a stage reading us a story; not that it's a bad story (I like many forms of fiction myself), but it's still just a story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Relax admirald,

Matty is an OLD TIME Whiteblazer who has been absent for a number of years. He is passionate and a bit eccentric, but he is also a great guy with a great heart. He is very dedicated to the AT. He is a part of the AT conscience. His rantings (poetry) take some getting used to, but they do offer a lot of wisdom as well as passion. He does also donate a lot of physical labor to the AT institutions.

You just have to get used to his "style".

There must be a ton of lead pant in that old building which makes renovations all that more expensive.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

this is our matty and his art
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++