WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

I've never understood why a business owner would ask for charity to keep a business open. The whole purpose of running a business is to turn a profit. If you can't make it pay, close the doors.

Images

Very well said, Jack. I've stayed at the Doyle and have been there another time. Quite a place. So much more memorable a stay than any I've had at one more bland chain motel after another. I hope the Doyle stays around for another century!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hey guys, another quick thought, as I've already written on this matter on Facebook and elsewhere: This is not about how unhappy you were with your room, lack of amenities, whatever. The Doyle is not the hotel Australia and has never tried to be. Instead, it's a very special place, run by really great folks. If you were lucky enough to meet them, and had a good time there, and wanna help them out in their time of need, well I think that's GREAT. If you don't, well swell, but this is not the time or place to rip on the place. Pat and Vickey over the years have performed kindnesses for hikers THAT CANNOT BE COUNTED, so unless you have something nice to say about the place, or the extraordinary people who move sun and moon to keep it open.....well, this is not your thread.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I've never understood why a business owner would ask for charity to keep a business open. The whole purpose of running a business is to turn a profit. If you can't make it pay, close the doors.
    Various reasons that I've come across:

- Flat out don't like being told what to do by management, they can't keep a regular job as an employee, because they're convinced they're smarter than everyone else.
    - Amazing tradesmen, but don't have any financial abilities.
    - Underground backwoods Libertarian. Let's barter and beg!
    - They've capitalized by by convincing all their relatives to take 2nd mortgages. Desperate not to lose Grandma's house!
    - They've purchased a bad franchise.
    - Fishermen incapable of not buying the entire bar a round, and of budgeting between trips.
    - Depressed owners who can't get out of their own way.
    - Hucksters who go from bankruptcy to bankruptcy skimming off what assets they can, and screwing everyone else.

There are a whole lot of business people working insane hours at $3 an hour.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 03-11-2016 at 12:18.

Default Money pouring in to save historic Appalachian Trail hotel - PennLive.com

PennLive.com

Money pouring in to save historic Appalachian Trail hotel
    PennLive.com
    The hotel, located just a block from the Appalachian trail, is known as a haven for thousands of weary travelers hiking all or part of the 2,200-mile trail. Owners Pat and Vickey Kelly charge $25 for a room and an extra $10 for people who want to crash ...
    Appalachian Trail landmark in Duncannon in danger of closing ...The Sentinel
    Historic Duncannon hotel seeks donations to stay open | WPMT ...FOX43.com

all 3 news articles »

More...

Possibly because everything they have is invested in the business and if it closes they are out of a job, their life's savings and will be in debt for years to come. Having owned a business those are some reasons that come to mind.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Bold mine. You are making a unfounded assumption here, then jumping to a incorrect conclusion based on that.
    You can check out this link for the top 10 reasons why people run a business: http://www.inc.com/guides/201101/top...-business.html
    and another such link:
    http://www.ehow.com/info_7805152_pur...-business.html
    and another link:
    http://www.accountsresource.co.uk/bl...your-business/

There are many purposes why people run a business, many other purposes besides making money* of running a business including control and adventure and service.

*Technically 'profit' does not even make the list, but 'making money' is close enough.

Default Fund to save Appalachian Trail landmark closing in on goal - abc27

abc27

Fund to save Appalachian Trail landmark closing in on goal
    abc27
    DUNCANNON, Pa. (WHTM) – A fund to save the historic Doyle Hotel, a destination for hundreds of Appalachian Trail hikers each year, had reached more than ...
    Money pouring in to save historic Appalachian Trail hotel | PennLive ...PennLive.com

all 2 news articles »

More...

Images

Just made a small contribution. They are getting close to getting the Taxman and Mortgage holder off their back in the short term, but still no where near enough to do the much needed renovations. I think, if I personally knew, and had influence with Pat and Vickey, I would attempt to convince them that it was time to cut the losses. Get the finances paid up, then sell out. But perhaps they are too far underwater on loans to make that feasible, in which case, I don't have any suggestions.

I do not ever see the Doyle becoming a self-supporting endeavor with out a MAJOR influx of capital, much more than the current owners can manage. And if someone did invest that money, it would never be to provide hikers with affordable lodging. Facts are facts.

Absolutely the best wishes to Pat and Vickey, hope they can find a way through this without loosing everything.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-11-2016 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Just made a small contribution. They are getting close to getting the Taxman and Mortgage holder off their back in the short term, but still no where near enough to do the much needed renovations. I think, if I personally knew, and had influence with Pat and Vickey, I would attempt to convince them that it was time to cut the losses. Get the finances paid up, then sell out. But perhaps they are too far underwater on loans to make that feasible, in which case, I don't have any suggestions.

I do not ever see the Doyle becoming a self-supporting endeavor with out a MAJOR influx of capital, much more than the current owners can manage. And if someone did invest that money, it would never be to provide hikers with affordable lodging. Facts are facts.

Absolutely the best wishes to Pat and Vickey, hope they can find a way through this without loosing everything.
    Could the Doyle become like the Coolidge, in Vermont? Rooms for higher-paying folks, and rooms for youth hostel members?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Could the Doyle become like the Coolidge, in Vermont? Rooms for higher-paying folks, and rooms for youth hostel members?
    Suppose it could, with the right investor. Not sure how many "higher paying" folks would be looking for a place to stay in Duncannon - I think that's the biggest part of the problem, not exactly a tourist meca.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Bold mine. You are making a unfounded assumption here, then jumping to a incorrect conclusion based on that.
    You can check out this link for the top 10 reasons why people run a business: http://www.inc.com/guides/201101/top...-business.html
    and another such link:
    http://www.ehow.com/info_7805152_pur...-business.html
    and another link:
    http://www.accountsresource.co.uk/bl...your-business/

There are many purposes why people run a business, many other purposes besides making money* of running a business including control and adventure and service.

*Technically 'profit' does not even make the list, but 'making money' is close enough.
    Yes, but if a business doesn't make a profit, it fails at those other goals. Asking someone else to finance your lifestyle because you can't run your business at a profit is no different than asking for donations to finance a thruhike...you are asking people to finance your dream or your vacation.

If they are still open in early May when I pass by there I will give them a bit more then $25 for the room. If everyone paid an extra 10 bucks that would help them out a lot.

But realistically, the place is doomed in the long run. It really needs to be gutted and rebuilt. No amount of renovations will help at this point. Elmer's in Hot Springs is another building in desperate need of major repairs which will never happen.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

so will this be a yearly thing?

Just checked out the GoFundMe page. Post from 5 hours ago says they reached the goal with $620 to spare. Check it out and make sure just in case my computer is lying to me or I am misreading something.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    so will this be a yearly thing?
    My thoughts exactly, Lone Wolf. That's why I said I would encourage them to pay what they owe in taxes, then try to unload it. I don't really see how it can be self-supporting. Needed repairs and renovations will not get cheaper or more affordable in the next few years, and everyone can agree, it is in DIRE need of a lot of repairs. It is truly a fire trap as it is, a disaster waiting to happen. Will probably be in the hikers best interest to not have the lure.

I do hope the owners can find a reasonable way out.

My name is not important.
    Why i am here is not important.
    the facts are,
    I have a name.....
    And i am here.
    In the beginning,
    My jesus gave me pat and miss vickey.
    and the spirit of matty moved over the face of duncannon.
    and matty's god said," let there be a room to seperate the trash from the right.
    And he set matthewski in a garden in a place called twenty three.
    And he saw that is was good for matty to have companions, so he gave to him curty and tater.
    now there was a devil in the land in those days who was the man.
    and matty's jesus said," give unto cesar what is his and enjoy a doyle burger.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    My name is not important.
    Why i am here is not important.
    the facts are,
    I have a name.....
    And i am here.
    In the beginning,
    My jesus gave me pat and miss vickey.
    and the spirit of matty moved over the face of duncannon.
    and matty's god said," let there be a room to seperate the trash from the right.
    And he set matthewski in a garden in a place called twenty three.
    And he saw that is was good for matty to have companions, so he gave to him curty and tater.
    now there was a devil in the land in those days who was the man.
    and matty's jesus said," give unto cesar what is his and enjoy a doyle burger.
    its only taxes...let my people go!

Default why the french frys are so good.

There not.
    There just potatoes.
    But,.....
    Then the magic happens.
    Old man pat rolls up a sleave exsposing the bicept of a much younger pat.
    Then, he takes a huge freash bitchin tater and rings that suckers neck thru a hand cranked murder machine.
    Next, he dumps the evidence into a lake of firey peanut oil laced with the souls of other potatoes murdered.
    Finally he cajun seasons or cheeses those bastard and yells," order up!".
    matthewski

This incarnation of man will be remembered for letting people starve in a plentitude of abundence.
    this generation of hikers will be remembered for the bad hiker poetry contest at the doyle
    matthewski

I don't know which I like best, bad poetry, or bad poets.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++