WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Bear Spray is it needed on the AT?

Preparing to leave Springer April 26, I want to know if Bear Spray is needed? They should be out of their winter dens and active, so your opinion is needed.
    POWERED BY A DONATED HEART!

http://www.at-tinman.com

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Absolutely NO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

no. not needed

I'm a section hiker ... have hiked from Springer nearly to NJ ... I have seen bears, occasionally. BUT, I have not, nor would I ever carry bear spray at least in the southern states ... generally ignore the bears, hang you stuff when in a "bear area', and the bears will ignore you. I can't speak from experience about the northern section, but I doubt I will carry anything there either. Just be smart, and you will never have any use for bear spray in the Eastern US.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wink Does one need bear spray?

only if you want to spray the ultra lighters

Journal Entries

Thanks a bunch guys!
    POWERED BY A DONATED HEART!

http://www.at-tinman.com

Realistically it isn't needed. Apart from the weight of the item that may never get used. The issue is more psychological human and bear. We've been conditioned as humans to be wary of these large powerful animals and bears too have adapted. I've ran into dozens of black bears on the AT and they are more skiddish as they are hunted by humans for food and to control ultimately the population. If you look down trail sometes I'd see them jumping down out of trees and running away before most people would see them. Many AT hikers never get the pleasure to see a bear. If in camp and one does come to snoop around; banging pots pans and yelling at it many times works. Bears are ultimately instinctual so I wouldn't advocate running away (mimicks prey) with arms flailing and yelling. As well as getting in between a mamma and her cub is a no-no.
    Rember this is a generalization, and like on the human population you can get an "unbalanced" bear. If that was the case, I doubt pepper spray would do little to deter something like that but make the bear angrier. And you tastier with a hint of hot sauce.

Journal Entries

Bear Spray? Remember this.....bears are our friends....if you sprayed some crap at me and the wind or your fearful aim was off that day.....I' m gonnna charge at you and tear you up! Just give them space, it's their home, we are just temporary visitors....Better to just back away and NEVER get between mom and her kids/Cubs because any Mom will protect her young, just like you would. Brown bears, different story but that's not a problem on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    Realistically it isn't needed. Apart from the weight of the item that may never get used. The issue is more psychological human and bear. We've been conditioned as humans to be wary of these large powerful animals and bears too have adapted. I've ran into dozens of black bears on the AT and they are more skiddish as they are hunted by humans for food and to control ultimately the population. If you look down trail sometes I'd see them jumping down out of trees and running away before most people would see them. Many AT hikers never get the pleasure to see a bear. If in camp and one does come to snoop around; banging pots pans and yelling at it many times works. Bears are ultimately instinctual so I wouldn't advocate running away (mimicks prey) with arms flailing and yelling. As well as getting in between a mamma and her cub is a no-no.
    Rember this is a generalization, and like on the human population you can get an "unbalanced" bear. If that was the case, I doubt pepper spray would do little to deter something like that but make the bear angrier. And you tastier with a hint of hot sauce.
    So, bear spray? No. Pots and pans? Yes. OK, thanks.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Not really. If you encounter a bear just give them your pack.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

It is not needed and past Neel's gap, I did not see a single thru hiker who carried it. During my entire 2013 thru hike, I did not see a single bear...which was actually frustrating and disappointing.

I have come across one bear in GA. Believe it or not, I smelled the bear long before I saw it. My nephew was amazed at my "mountain man " skills! I imagine the bear's thought was similar to my own.... "Oh wow. look, a human!" If he had thumbs and knew how to work a digital camera, he would have been just like me, fumbling to get it out and then huff when he missed the picture. At no point did I consider I needed bear spray. Lesson learned, just have your camera ready....

Images

the good news- no one has said "if it makes you feel better, whats the harm?" yet. but i'm sure someone will soon.

the bad news- it seems its time to bust out this link again- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    it seems it's time to bust out this link again- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/science/11bears.html
    Yep — read the article and view the video!

Bruce Traillium

Quote Originally Posted by ddanko2 View Post
    only if you want to spray the ultra lighters
    Or mere dayhikers. When a bear gets ready to eat a human burrito and you spray him in the face, you're just adding texas pete to his meal.

I'm a newb idiot cuz I keep all my food in my tent vestibule overnight which I do not recommend, especially in the Smokies where bears are numerous and not hunted.

Several months ago I was camping on the Sycamore Creek section of the BMT and a big black bear turned right off the trail and casually walked right up to my tent and stopped 10 feet in front of me as I was sitting in the tent vestibule preparing dinner. It was like Mr Magoo and he didn't see me until he tripped over the tent. I caught a pic of him running up a hill away from camp but no priceless pic of him in camp.

I was like Will Ferrell in Zoolander:

Anyway, after the encounter I was shopping in walmart (but why?) and picked up a perhaps totally useless personal pepper (bear?) spray in tiny size (and pink!) which I now keep in my pack lid pocket because I like the extra weight and it will never be used . . . and dropped only once. (A good line from Full Metal Jacket).

Post Test: Can you find the pink spray canister?? It's exactly what I carry. Btw, this is NOT ME. My little spray can is only carried on backpacking trips in case you're confused. This pic from---

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...lease-key-ring

Journal Entries

OK I think I got the idea. One more thing, Ursack White or Ursack Minor?