WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Preparing Mentally

Hey guys,

Need a little advice. How do you guys prepare mentally for a LD hike.

I am doing a semi flip-flop over two years with more miles this year than next. My issue for this hike seems to be money, college, and life related. There is the hiker, free bird part of me that is needing to get away. This summer has been tough with a lot of death, chaos, and problems. I need this hike to help me mentally heal.

Another part of me, the money person, is trying to justify the time off, money spent, etc when I could be starting college again, moving on with life, working on a future, etc.

I am sure I would probably run into the same issues I had with getting my first degree. I have no idea what I want to do, and will probably go in circles trying to figure it out.

Another feeling that nags at me is the feeling of not getting younger, I am 26. I can't help but feel that I should have a Bach in college already, a full time job, etc etc.

Its bull crap. -_- My mind needs to make up its damn mind.

Ether way; I spent too much prepping to not go on this hike. I just need a mental boost?

It's good to plan for the future, but know you will not get there in one hour. Break things down a bit, and deal with what's short term. I deal with LD hiking one resupply to the next (3-4 days). I deal with my daily life one week to the next, and at times one day to the next. Blissfully happy this way.... :-)

Its a walking vacation. Its not military service stint that one cannot leave, its not a life pledge when entering a Tibetan Monastic life to learn levitation and special marshal arts. This its fully voluntary. If you decide its not for you, walk a few miles to a blue trail and you can get off the trail and back to what life is/was for you.

I think you will find a number of others that hike from one blue access trail to the next wondering if thats where they will exit the hike, or if they will decide to go on to the next one. Thats otherwise known as taking it one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    Hey guys,

just do it. it's walkin'. nothin' to fret over. you're 26

Images

I believe the best way to be mentally prepared is to to do challenging hikes before your thru. Hike in the rain, snow, heat, cold, dark, fog, etc. find the biggest hills, the wettest, rockiest overgrown trails. Do enough of these and you will have a base to draw on. My goal was to not have a single day on my thru be one of the five toughest days of my hiking career. This really allowed me to honestly tell myself that I have been through worse. This may seem like physical preparation but in reality physical challenges often become mental challenges. Think about the hoards of hikers that start at springer. At the end of the first five days (if they make it that far) they likely hike d the hardest five days of their life. that will mess with their head.

Images

I read Appalachian Trials by Zach Davis.

http://www.appalachiantrials.com/

Hey guys,

I am doing a semi flip-flop over two years with more miles this year than next. My issue for this hike seems to be money, college, and life related. There is the hiker, free bird part of me that is needing to get away. This summer has been tough with a lot of death, chaos, and problems. I need this hike to help me mentally heal.

Another part of me, the money person, is trying to justify the time off, money spent, etc when I could be starting college again, moving on with life, working on a future, etc.

I am sure I would probably run into the same issues I had with getting my first degree. I have no idea what I want to do, and will probably go in circles trying to figure it out.

Another feeling that nags at me is the feeling of not getting younger, I am 26. I can't help but feel that I should have a Bach in college already, a full time job, etc etc.

Ether way; I spent too much prepping to not go on this hike. I just need a mental boost?
    Maybe long-distance hiking is not for you. If you need to psych yourself for a LD hike, than maybe you really don't want or need a LD hike; maybe you haven't identified your root problems.

Garlic
    Images

I didn't even think of a multi-month hiking vacation until I had the rest of my life in good or excellent shape. For me, that was when I was in my late 40s. I spent my 20s and 30s doing the stuff you're agonizing over--education, career, marriage, financial stability, etc, and taking increasingly longer and tougher trips in the backcountry.

I was totally ready for my first long hike (PCT '04)--I had desert experience, snow and ice climbing experience, some long resupply experience, and had already worked for decades on getting my gear weight down. I had money saved, some investment income, bills on autopay--everything went smoothly.

I'm certainly not saying you have to do it my way, nor am I saying it wouldn't have been better to do it when I was younger. But it's an option. There are lots of successful older hikers out there having the times of their lives. And there are lots of impressive young hikers out there, too, doing very well with fewer resources. It's your choice.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Anything new, positive or negative can cause anxiety. You're young, take control of your anxiety before it rules you. Do something, anything. 99% of the time, the thing you fretted over doing turned out just peachy, and you wonder why the hell you were anxious. Anxiety is not a permanent condition, it's just a bad habit, and can be changed with repetition. Simple in theory, hard to practice initially, but it does get easier.

Images

I did ga-wva in 2010 at 54. I finished the 1,000 mi. on want to, I simply wanted to finish that hike. I though about quitting every single day, and it remains one of my proudest accomplishments.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

A.) Have your ducks-in-a-row in the real world (debts paid, autopayments setup, etc) so you don't have to think about this stuff when you're hiking
    B.) Have a general strategy for finding an income post-hike (even if this is a list of feasible options)
    C.) Hide some cash to allow you to implement the post-hike strategy and live independently for 60-90 days
    D.) Don't let fear override your ambition
    E.) Hike first, ask questions later

Recommended reading: How To Stop Worrying And Start Living by Dale Carnegie

It's an emotional decision. Maybe going on this hike is a totally irresponsible thing to do or maybe you need to do it before you can get serious about settling down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hey guys,

One regret I have is that I didn't take my time to be free more seriously. I goofed around and road tripped in my early 20s but I wish I would have thru hiked. With no mortgage, car payments, school loans, wife, kids etc it is a lot easier to do what you want. Go do a nice long section hike or thru hike then come back and get back to your education etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Have your ducks in a row so you don't have to fret about real life when you're on the trail. This includes having some saved cash for when you return. That will give you time to readjust as well as look for a job, go back to school etc.
    2) Realize that due to injury or the fact the hike wasn't what you thought it would be, it could be over in a few days. If you've got money saved and you're OK with that outcome you're in the right mindset. If your hiking to get away from something and this happens it could make things worse.

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Hey guys.

Thanks for all of the responses.

The funny thing is, I am super excited. If I didn't have plans for April, I would actually be packing bags to start in ga with all the thrus. I think I am just trying to plan too much.

When I said I would just go in circles, I meant it. My Associates took me three years because I took so many random classes trying to locate my desires for my "career". I lack a long term drive.

Which is why I think my hike would be good for me. I can soul search, and see the world (forest). I can rationalize that If I start college now, I would end up doing circles trying to figure out what I want to do.

It doubles that I also love to backpack, and camp. I am known to friends as the female mcguyver in the woods.

Images

Let me give you the very shortened version of my experience:

- I was your age, plus one year, 27.
    - I had graduated college, but was working in an unrelated and unfullfilling job.
    - I was very depressed, even thinking of taking drastic measures (suicide).
    - Went back to school, but found that did not help, at all.
    - Decided to take a long hike.
    - Made and carried out a plan to get rid of my "stuff" and worked an extra job to earn the money over the next 6 months.
    - No more suicidal thought - I was making progress on my plan.
    - Took off for an 11 month, cross-country backpacking trip.
    - TONS of time to think over my life, re-set my inner conflicts, all while haveing a BLAST and making great friends, friends to this day, 35 years later.
    - I still did not know what I would do with my life, but it no longer mattered that much, I KNEW that I could be happy without the "stuff" and a plan.
    - After the hike ended, I was sad, but not depressed.
    - Worked a series of "nothing" jobs. Took some pre-hospital medical courses - just for my own fullfillment.
    - These courses and the resulting license led to my long-term career, from which I recently retired with a pension. I did take time out from this career for another 5 year adventure part way through, but that is another story.
    - I have, to this day, never given another thought to suicide or giving up.

Moral of the story, for me, was that I can be happy and fullfilled in many ways that do not involve the traditional choices society tells us are appropriate. It's YOUR life, follow your instincts and live it. Don't worry about what you are SUPPOSED to be doing.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

- I had graduated college, but was working in an unrelated and unfullfilling job.
    - Made and carried out a plan to get rid of my "stuff" and worked an extra job to earn the money over the next 6 months.
    - TONS of time to think over my life, re-set my inner conflicts, all while haveing a BLAST and making great friends, friends to this day, 35 years later.
    - I still did not know what I would do with my life, but it no longer mattered that much, I KNEW that I could be happy without the "stuff" and a plan.
    - Worked a series of "nothing" jobs. Took some pre-hospital medical courses - just for my own fullfillment.
    - These courses and the resulting license led to my long-term career, from which I recently retired with a pension. I did take time out from this career for another 5 year adventure part way through, but that is another story.

Moral of the story, for me, was that I can be happy and fullfilled in many ways that do not involve the traditional choices society tells us are appropriate. It's YOUR life, follow your instincts and live it. Don't worry about what you are SUPPOSED to be doing.

Good Luck.
    very good! thank you!
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

Good Luck.
    Your first few points describe what I've been dealing with up until I decided to thruhike this year. Thank you for this post!
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

""Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the things you did." Mark Twain

This is a line I quote a lot and live by. When you're 80 and telling stories to your grandkids you want to be able to look back on life and see it full of adventures.

I'm 36, have no bachelor's degree, work a decent job...and spend more of my life having fun and adventuring than most people. But I see that doing these things as an emotional investment. I work hard to play hard and at the end of my life I want to look back on it and never think I missed out on living!

Some, including myself, gain emotional and mental strength, and of course spiritual strength, meditating deeply on the Bible - NOT RELIGIOSITY. For me it's a blueprint for LIFE. In excruciating detail it can be an ideal manuscript for mental strength.

Sounds like you have anxiety creeping into your life. http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow....ipture-quotes/

Walking in love, joy, gratitude, peace, humbleness, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, forbearance, and self control gets my mental life in order. It's my illusion growing in these attributes will assist anyone's mental outlook regardless if religious or not. Forbearance is a great attribute to have - ie; tolerance, patience, endurance, fortitude.

When I'm mentally wavering on a hike which is now rare two of the best coping principles that help realign my mental outlook is gratitude - finding a way to be grateful for something and finding a way to contribute to someone/something else. That tickles ears hearing it but one has to practice it which can be a challenge especially when recognizing and breaking old debilitating limiting engrained mental patterns. The reason why I don't waver mentally as much anymore is because I practice as a matter of habit of routine guarding my mind from negativity.

Guarding our mind(mental and emotional outlook) begins by knowing not to entertain negativity/negative destructive thoughts. It brings us down. It will ultimately result in acted out behaviors. We can continually enhance an awareness to recognize and interrupt negative/non empowering thoughts changing them to more empowering ones before being unduly mired down by them. One technique I employ is redefining events, situations, people, etc to find something to be appreciative about. Much of what lays the groundwork for negativity can be subtle so one has to be alert to guard their heart and mind.

Another mental coping mechanism that works for me is realizing LD backpacking is not just about hiking. It can and does involve so much more than just walkin. Embracing a LD hike in that context is embracing the journey of LIFE more fully IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++