WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Used to be carrying 7 to 10 days of food between resupply was considered a reasonable plan on the AT.

Now that would considered to be foolhardy-- stupid, in fact.

Interesting how perceptions change over time, and how the hiking community as a whole adopts its collective norms with so few outliers.
    Everyone should read this two-volume set called Hiking The Appalachian Trail---

In Volume 2, a 17 year old kid named Eric Ryback thruhiked the AT in 1969. Here are two interesting quotes:

"Later, when I was arranging my equipment and food, people came up and questioned me about my trip. This was the first real indication I had that I was doing something unusual; they were amazed that I was able to maintain myself in the mountains for over 2 1/2 weeks with just what was in my pack, plus water from mountain streams." ERIC RYBACK

"Looking at that (resupply) food was one of my greatest pleasures on the whole trip. It was the last package I would pick up before I finished my trek. I wondered how I would make all of the food fit into the pack. It was for 20 days, the largest supply I had picked up. With the experience of 1,600 miles behind me, the heavier the pack, the more secure I felt. I knew I could go into the woods and stay for as long as the food lasted before coming back to civilization again." ERIC RYBACK

If I remember correctly, his pack only had a strap for a hip belt (as most/all packs did), or at most minimum padding, so all the weight was carried on his shoulders. They were tougher back then...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

In Volume 2, a 17 year old kid named Eric Ryback thruhiked the AT in 1969. Here are two interesting quotes:

"Later, when I was arranging my equipment and food, people came up and questioned me about my trip. This was the first real indication I had that I was doing something unusual; they were amazed that I was able to maintain myself in the mountains for over 2 1/2 weeks with just what was in my pack, plus water from mountain streams." ERIC RYBACK

"Looking at that (resupply) food was one of my greatest pleasures on the whole trip. It was the last package I would pick up before I finished my trek. I wondered how I would make all of the food fit into the pack. It was for 20 days, the largest supply I had picked up. With the experience of 1,600 miles behind me, the heavier the pack, the more secure I felt. I knew I could go into the woods and stay for as long as the food lasted before coming back to civilization again." ERIC RYBACK

I asked the grounded Eric Ryback at the PCT Kick Off about his resupplying. First, he was wise enough to realize and mention when he thru-hiked times were different ie: different gear, trails were different(fewer signs and blazes, less/overgrown/absent segments of continuous tread for example), fewer known details like resupply points, more was unknown, etc. I had the sense he experienced much more of an adventure with many more unknowns than today's groups of TCers that have it much easier. Plus, he was barely a kid setting off on those 1000's of miles hikes. He mostly slept under a tarp set up in simple lean to configuration with two sticks or trees as lean to poles. He said IF he thru-hiked again he would likely utilize the massive amount of resupply beta to resupply more often than he did back when he was a TCer.

Tipi, you've given us a great list of mistakes for people who set out to live in the woods for a month or more.

While I enjoy my local hikes back home in the complete solitude of the woods, the AT is a whole other thing. It's not so much about living in the woods. It's about enjoying the company of strangers. It's about selecting, building, using, and comparing equipment -- and the satisfaction of seeing what worked and learning what to do different next time. People watching. Hanging out with kids half your age. Facing a different set of obstacles every day and a whole different weather environment every week. Partying in town with new friends. Savoring a perfectly cooked Rib-eye after surviving on oatmeal, noodles, and peanuts for week. Experiencing the inexplicable kindness of strangers who aren't even hikers. Solving the world's problems around a campfire. Worrying about bears and occasionally even seeing them. Seeing and hearing birds and other wildlife that don't exist back home. Marveling at the amazing accommodations that someone hiked deep into the woods with an enormous load on their back just to build for you for free.

I think the biggest mistake people make preparing for the AT is to start with the assumption that it's about living in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    Tipi, you've given us a great list of mistakes for people who set out to live in the woods for a month or more.

While I enjoy my local hikes back home in the complete solitude of the woods, the AT is a whole other thing. It's not so much about living in the woods. It's about enjoying the company of strangers. It's about selecting, building, using, and comparing equipment -- and the satisfaction of seeing what worked and learning what to do different next time. People watching. Hanging out with kids half your age. Facing a different set of obstacles every day and a whole different weather environment every week. Partying in town with new friends. Savoring a perfectly cooked Rib-eye after surviving on oatmeal, noodles, and peanuts for week. Experiencing the inexplicable kindness of strangers who aren't even hikers. Solving the world's problems around a campfire. Worrying about bears and occasionally even seeing them. Seeing and hearing birds and other wildlife that don't exist back home. Marveling at the amazing accommodations that someone hiked deep into the woods with an enormous load on their back just to build for you for free.

I think the biggest mistake people make preparing for the AT is to start with the assumption that it's about living in the woods.
    Hear HEAR!!!!! (PS: this is an AT thru hiker forum)

I think that you should add "packing on the stupid side of light".

It's easy to knock people carrying more than 50 lbs, but it is perhaps even more dangerous to go out into the world without sufficient gear to survive injury or unexpected bad weather.

Wow, THIS is well put. Nice work HB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I asked the grounded Eric Ryback at the PCT Kick Off about his resupplying. First, he was wise enough to realize and mention when he thru-hiked times were different ie: different gear, trails were different(fewer signs and blazes, less/overgrown/absent segments of continuous tread for example), fewer known details like resupply points, more was unknown, etc. I had the sense he experienced much more of an adventure with many more unknowns than today's groups of TCers that have it much easier. Plus, he was barely a kid setting off on those 1000's of miles hikes. He mostly slept under a tarp set up in simple lean to configuration with two sticks or trees as lean to poles. He said IF he thru-hiked again he would likely utilize the massive amount of resupply beta to resupply more often than he did back when he was a TCer.
    Cool that you got to meet him, Dogwood. Ryback was a 17 year old kid thruhiking the AT back in 1969. Pretty neat considering his age and the time.

Good post Harrison. Your example refers to a certain group of AT backpackers who have chosen to hike the AT in the ways you describe. Some love the shelters, some won't camp anywhere near them. Some love the partying and 420 vibe, others aren't parked at the shelters to see them. Some carry minimal food, others don't. Some section hike or use the AT only as a link to another system of trails (like in Mt Rogers where the AT will connect you to the Lewis Fork wilderness area and the Little Wilson Creek wilderness and the Pine Mt trail etc).

And believe it or not, but some backpackers get a full blown wilderness experience on the Appalachian Trail---they are living in the woods. Just go south from Fontana over Cheoah Mt and beyond for 2 weeks in January. Bring your microspikes. You'll be living in the woods.

I think you're my new best friend. Or at least I think I agree with your post. Why wouldn't I? Perception is a tricky thing; what I see and understand about trail behavior will be different than what someone else understands, or even sees. So maybe GreenBlaze and I perceive thruhiker mentality in somewhat the same way.

"A little more mileage in life with rest stops under the tree of wisdom seems to incite a more thoughtful understanding of others."

This neat quote applies well to backpackers as I like to sit under a literal tree and observe. And then somehow find a way to put in my a trip reports.
    I think we're like-minded in that respect. I certainly agree that getting off at every town, hiking just to make it to the next hostel, and not truly embracing the outdoors is abhorrent and missing the point. I also believe in HYOH, so I'd never accost someone directly or indirectly about their method of outdoor enjoyment. I myself prefer to stay in the woods and immerse myself in the environment as much as possible when I have the time to be out. I'm usually trying to learn and practice bushcraft skills when possible, and you can't do that in town.

I remember meeting a guy near camp once that was literally covered in Cuben fiber. I figured his underwear was probably made of Dyneema. Once he broke the ice with.. "Why are you carrying that big knife?" and (pointing at my attempt of a feather stick) "What's that thing?" We had a great conversation, and I gleaned some UL tips from him. I think he might have left with a few ideas about how to start a fire without his Bic too. For the record.. he was in his older 30s. It might have been more difficult to build a quick rapport with a younger "thru-hiker" who has all the answers.

Thanks for these. I've been raiding old issues of Backpacker HERE to find reading material from a different generation of hiker/backpackers. Will definitely procure a copy of these if possible for my collection.

Great write up! My fiancée and I will be starting from the approach trail on March 26th, Can not wait!

Being somewhat new to backpacking (but not the backcountry or hiking and camping in general) it was articles, and the ensuing discussion, like these that helped me to learn of the benefits of going lighter and not making the initial mistakes myself. I invested in gear that I would use and that would last, not just for backpacking, but in my other pursuits as well (horse packing).

It is these kinds of threads that others, new to the joys of hiking short or long distances, and the wilderness areas, find valuable and insightful. I think you get to a point in life, with maturity, that enables you to more easily take advice and learn from other's mistakes rather than be stubborn and make your own.

It should be remembered that most hikers go thru two to two and a half pounds of food per day.

It should further be remembered that in addition to trying to go too fast too early in the journey, the single biggest thing that knocks people off the Trail early on is carrying too much stuff and refusing to do anything about their excessive pack weight.

A fifteen day food bag, for most people, would weigh thirty pounds and probably more. For most folks, this would be something neither comfortable or advisable.

Thanks for posting those. I just ordered them after reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Miel View Post
    Thanks for posting those. I just ordered them after reading your post.
    Are they still available??

Images

You can still find both volumes on ebay and amazon. Some outrageous prices out there. There's one for $289.00.

Once I saw your post I grabbed the 2 volume set on Amazon in "Like New" condition for $26.89 + $3.00 shipping.

I found mine about 10 years ago in a now-defunct used book store in Madisonville, TN, of all places. Both volumes in excellent shape for $44.

Right now I'm home-copying the Dorothy Laker chapter to read on my next backpacking trip. She thruhiked the AT 3 times in the 1960s and 1970s.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak View Post
    You can still find both volumes on ebay and amazon. Some outrageous prices out there. There's one for $289.00.
    Classics for sure. But I paid $30 for mine ten years ago. Are they worth 10 times as much ten years later? Dunno...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Classics for sure. But I paid $30 for mine ten years ago. Are they worth 10 times as much ten years later? Dunno...
    Hardbacks with pretty covers. Perfect condition would probably fetch some coinage.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++