WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hammock or Tent - Springer to NOC

Ok so for all of you Hammock lovers out there I know you are cringing at the idea of sleeping in a tent. I have never hiked with a hammock but I have spent countless nights in one (but only during the summer months). I am planning a hike from Springer to the NOC in just two weeks (starting March 19th). I am debating on using a tent or my hammock. Both set ups weigh the same so that isn't a factor. I don't know what the terrain is like during this section and don't know if finding a spot to hammock camp is always going to be possible. My issue with tent camping is the hassle of dealing with a wet tent after a night of rain or heavy dew. The issue with the hammock is that I do not have an underquilt and this time of year is hit or miss with the weather. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

There will be a lot more hammock spots or opportunities that there will be good flat tent spots.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

If your going March 19th and don't have an under quilt, you'd best take the tent. It just snowed down there again this weekend, winter's not over quite yet.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

My hammock setup is much heavier than my tent setup for equivalent warmth. That doesn't stop me from taking the hammock when I'm solo hiking...

Plenty of places to hang on this stretch. But it will be chilly some nights, so be prepared.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I know I sleep better in the hammock and it sounds like you all say there will be plenty of spots. Any suggestions on underquilts or am I looking at spending a ton of money?

Quote Originally Posted by bwillits View Post
    ... I have spent countless nights in (a hammock)....
    I suggest it's time to get yourself and underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by bwillits View Post
    Any suggestions on underquilts or am I looking at spending a ton of money?
    I have been very happy with the Incubator from Hammock Gear. I like the full length. For mild month the 40* works well and packs small. A ton and money? Over $200 but, the money I have spent on underquilts it the best money for hiking/camping I have ever spent.

The Phoenix would allow you to shed a little weight and save a bit of cash but, I have no experience with the partial length quilts.

Good Luck

In the long term, you should get an underquilt. However, in the meantime, the Klymit Insulated Static V or Insulated Static V Lite are the perfect pads for a hammock. Their baffle shape makes them conform to the shape of the hammock very well and with an R value of 4.4, they will be up to the test of the temps you're likely to face when you're down there. Underinflated a little, I find mine is as comfortable as an underquilt and plenty warm. It comes up around your shoulders and you won't have any cold spots. I've tried other pads and keep coming back to the Klymit. I even bailed the other night on a neoair x-lite that didn't work well at all in the hammock. Klymit Insulated Static V's are well priced and would provide a good backup to your eventual underquilt purchase. The Insulated Static V can be had for < $100 USD. The Lite version is usually a little more although I've seen them come up on Massdrop all the time for $67.

Agree with most of above. There are more spots to hang. Hanging is more comfortable. Don't hang without an under quilt unless you can rely on nighttime temps in upper 60s. Coldest night I ever spent on the trail it was in the 50s and I had no under quilt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Lots of places to hammock, but I wouldn't want to try it without a good underquilt (I've used a closed-cell pad down to 45 degrees which was pushing it for me).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Well thanks for all the advice. I am looking for an underquilt and if I can find one for the right price then I will be taking my hammock otherwise I'll be in the tent. Thanks again for all the advice!

I personally would either get an underquilt or take the tent.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...nderQuilt.html

cheapest underquilt without going the diy route. I have a 6oz climashield apex underquilt (weighs closer to 25oz) and it is good to about 25 degrees. Manufacturers may call it 20, but I start to get cold at 25.

Loco Libre Gear has really nice quilts for a decent price. They are down and well built. Customizable. Give George a call.
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

My understanding is a lot of these boutique makers take weeks to get an under quilt out the door. FWIW, as someone has mentioned, you can use a sleeping pad. I used a sleeping pad and a sheet of Reflectix down into the teens. Under quilt is ideal but this setup works. Caveat, I was by no means toasty that night but I also didn't have a winter tarp to block a wicked wind that night.

I think it will be really hard to get an UQ from a cottage vendor in under two weeks.

most all of the vendors have in-stock web site areas and will expedite shipping. I'd recommend a 20 degree UQ. If you can spring for it opt for a full length. A FL takes less tweaking than a 3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I personally would either get an underquilt or take the tent.
    I use both pads and underquilts depending on my pack weight / bulk. I'm taking one of these on the AT from Springer in a couple weeks...

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/prod...ic-v-lite.html

It's as comfortable as an underquilt in my opinion and very warm. Fits the hammock well also with it's unique baffle shapes. Just under-inflate a little and it feels like you're sleeping on a cloud.
    You can get one at REI or most outfitters for less than a hundred and it will tide you over until you get an underquilt (no waiting). You'll be warm, dry and well-rested (which I find almost impossible sleeping in a tent).

Hamrock seems to be the better option, but the need ofr underquit reamins pertinent. Another thing to think about, is the weather there. You can check this page's advice about what to choose,when and why => https://gearjunkie.com/hammock-or-tent-camping

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    In the long term, you should get an underquilt. However, in the meantime, the Klymit Insulated Static V or Insulated Static V Lite are the perfect pads for a hammock. Their baffle shape makes them conform to the shape of the hammock very well and with an R value of 4.4, they will be up to the test of the temps you're likely to face when you're down there. Underinflated a little, I find mine is as comfortable as an underquilt and plenty warm. It comes up around your shoulders and you won't have any cold spots. I've tried other pads and keep coming back to the Klymit. I even bailed the other night on a neoair x-lite that didn't work well at all in the hammock. Klymit Insulated Static V's are well priced and would provide a good backup to your eventual underquilt purchase. The Insulated Static V can be had for < $100 USD. The Lite version is usually a little more although I've seen them come up on Massdrop all the time for $67.
    How wide is the Klymit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++