WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smartwater Bottle + Hydration Tube?

I prefer water bladders when hiking because I like the convenience of having the tube attached to my shoulder strap rather than wrestling with my side pockets. However, I often see people recommending bottles over bladders because they are easier to clean, cheaper, and less likely to leak. I'm thinking I could just punch a hole in the cap of a water bottle, push a hydration tube through to the bottom, and use the tube like a really long flexible straw. That way the bottle can stay in the pocket but I still have a tube attached to my shoulder strap. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? It seems really obvious to me but the closest I could find was the somewhat pricey Jetflow system that requires inverting the bottle, which seems like it might result in a leak.

Journal Entries

The bottle wont want to collapse like a bladder does, it will require venting. I see three issues:

1. It gets hard to suck water as bottle collapses
    2. Bottle starts sucking air back from mouthpeice at some point and you end up with empty tube every time you go to sip.
    3. Useful capacity of bottle is reduced by above.

If you run a separate vent tube to a high point, maybe just taped to your suction tube, it could work.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-05-2016 at 17:27.

I have an Exos 48, and can't easily reach the side pockets with the Smartwater bottles. Too high, too far back, picture a reverse T-Rex arm thing happening. I bought this venting tube system, then promptly replaced the crappy bite valve with this one. Easy to refill, no worries about leaks. 2.39 oz. added weight.

Two smartwater bottles, a Platypus 1.5 bag for dirty water, the tube, Sawyer Squeeze, and a coupling for cleaning. Total system weight 9 oz. on the button.
    Last edited by Puddlefish; 03-05-2016 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I have an Exos 48, and can't easily reach the side pockets with the Smartwater bottles. Too high, too far back, picture a reverse T-Rex arm thing happening. I bought this venting tube system, then promptly replaced the crappy bite valve with this one. Easy to refill, no worries about leaks. 2.39 oz. added weight.

Two smartwater bottles, a Platypus 1.5 bag for dirty water, the tube, Sawyer Squeeze, and a coupling for cleaning. Total system weight 9 oz. on the button.
    Yes, thank you, that's exactly what I was picturing in my head! I'm so glad you responded! I was going to try to create my own (still might b/c I like to tinker) but it's nice to know there is already a proven product out there that I can just buy.

I don't think your backpack is always completely upright. Every time you sway or bend over, you risk water leaking out. I use a 20 oz gatorade bottle strapped to my J strap on my backpack (ULA Catalyst has a great couple of elastic straps for this). I drink around 10 ounces every 1/2 hour. When it empty's I just refill it from one of my platypus bladders that I keep in my side pockets of my backpack. Generally by the time I need more water, it is time for a small break anyway so it is no big deal filling up my platypus bags again.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I forgot to mention, the reason a lot of people don't use the bladder for hiking is you never really know how much water you have left. You may be drinking at a faster rate than you realize and use all your water when you may still have 5 miles to go to the next water source. With bottles or platypus water bottles, you know exactly how much you have. Smart water bottles are very popular because they are the perfect male thread to the female thread on a sawyer water filter.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I forgot to mention, the reason a lot of people don't use the bladder for hiking is you never really know how much water you have left. You may be drinking at a faster rate than you realize and use all your water when you may still have 5 miles to go to the next water source. With bottles or platypus water bottles, you know exactly how much you have. Smart water bottles are very popular because they are the perfect male thread to the female thread on a sawyer water filter.
    If you keep an eye on water consumption, you should have a fair idea of how many miles you can get out of a liter. Once that is known, you can plot your water source stops with some accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post

This is awesome. I just ordered.

++ New Posts ++