WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stove Recommendations for Toaks 750 pot?

Starting my thru hike on the 12th, Up until now i've used a trangia with an evernew cross stand.
    This works great when using a wider pot, but I switched to a narrow Toaks 750 pot for my thru hike. My boil time is now around 11 minutes, does anyone have any suggestions on stoves? The fancy feast and can stoves both take about 10 minutes, their flames are a little too wide.
    I've been looking at the Toaks siphon stove, Zelph's venom stove and evernew's titanium stove.
    Anyone who uses this pot, or similar narrow pots, what stove do you use?

This is a picture of my 550 toaks pot on a red bull stove. The boil with a aluminum foil wind screen is under 5 minutes filled to the brim if I remember correctly. The flame rolls over a bit though.

If I can make the 750 I just ordered boil 3 cups with one fueling of this stove then I will keep using it. Might have to make another to hold a pinch more fuel. Or I've been saving up some soda cans to try a stove like the penny stove but with only 7 or 8 holes on the inside of the base of the soda can. Then use a pot stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Zelph Starlyte (modified) with lid @ 0.6oz. I can boil 2 cups in about 6m on a MSR Alpine Stowaway which is a good size pot. Much faster with smaller pots. The stove creates a nice concentrated flame right in the center.

zelph starlyte

BRS3000-t

The eCHS stove is much more powerful than the Starlyte and focuses the flame in the center of the pot even better. However you will need a pot stand and a wind screen and you will need to make a few stoves to get it right (tricky build).

How did you make that? it looks different than other red bull stoves I've seen. I'll try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerJ View Post
    How did you make that? it looks different than other red bull stoves I've seen. I'll try it out.
    This is how I make them. https://youtu.be/EKy9w_hbg80
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The eCHS stove is much more powerful than the Starlyte and focuses the flame in the center of the pot even better. However you will need a pot stand and a wind screen and you will need to make a few stoves to get it right (tricky build).
    Is the Toaks siphon stove made in the same fashion as the eCHS? DIY stove makers wanna know :-)

There's something about one piece stoves that attracts my attention :-) (Fancee feest, StarLyte, Venom Super Stove)
    Last edited by zelph; 03-05-2016 at 21:09.

A capillary hoop stove sold on ebay by mfoutdoors. It works great on all narrow diameter pots (I use with a Foster's Can pot). Best of all, it costs a whooping $5.00!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Is the Toaks siphon stove made in the same fashion as the eCHS? DIY stove makers wanna know :-)

There's something about one piece stoves that attracts my attention :-) (Fancee feest, StarLyte, Venom Super Stove)
    I have not had my hands on one. It does seem to be built based on the same desigh. But the one on line test video I saw seemed to show inferior performance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have not had my hands on one. It does seem to be built based on the same desigh. But the one on line test video I saw seemed to show inferior performance.
    I agree, looks like a double wall with jets shooting up and inward and oh my! it's made of titanium.:-) Oh Gee!!! it requires a separate pot support Darn!!! but that the same as the eCHS ;-)

As a quick tip...
    if you keep the handles apart they remain MUCH cooler than together.
    (you need to remember to spread them after you place the pot on the stove)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    As a quick tip...
    if you keep the handles apart they remain MUCH cooler than together.
    (you need to remember to spread them after you place the pot on the stove)
    What causes them to be hotter when kept together?

I resell the 750 ml Toaks pots. In my testing, they work fine with either of my DualFuel burners (regular or XL). I do not recommend a Bottlestove.com or similar pot-pressurized burner for a narrow pot like this. Most small format alcohol stoves should work well.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I use QiWiz's multi-fuel burner with my Toaks 650 & 750 pot (they have the same diameter). I use his burner in my Bushbox UL Pocket stove which puts the pot 1 inch from the burner (hits the sweet spot). The stand also allows the Toaks to seat very nicely.I'm using Esbit in this pic but I use the alcohol part of his burner all the time.

IMG_3280.jpg
    Last edited by capehiker; 03-08-2016 at 16:01.

Current lightweight butane stove winner ; )

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Cam.../dp/B01077AGC2

Well with the red bull stove and about 37 ml of fuel I boiled 3 cups of water in under 8 minutes. Stove burned for over 9. I'm waiting on some new windscreen material so once I get that I'll do a true test in the elements. The 550 on the red bull stove felt fine but this one feels a little tippy. Technically to sadly use 37ml of fuel I need to make my base a little taller. More input once I get some hard numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i cant seem to get a boil out of the fancy feast stove with 30ml of denatured alcohol and 3 cups of water. it burns for around 14 minutes though. i havent tried 37 ml but i feel like the red bull stove is a work horse for this pot at 9 minutes. i think im going to have to try and reconfigure my redbull set up by making the bottom section deeper and the top lower as 37 ml almost flows over the top. but im unsure if this is going to effect the heat pushed out by the stove.

A pot with a wider base is more efficient. With the Fancee Feest (Zelph's perimeter wick version) I get consistent boils of 3 cups of cold water with 30ml denatured alcohol (Kleen Strip) using an Open Country 3-cup hard-anodized aluminum pot. Consistent boil time of 9min to 9:30.

Images

Something recently new came into being. A Toaks 550 pot(no handles) and a short Titanium Cone made by Trail Designs. The pot has a ridgeline placed in such a position as to afford the cone to be made to fit sideways inside the pot. Makes for a nice compact kit. Works with esbit and alcohol.

toaks55and TDcone 008.JPGtoaks55and TDcone 032.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++