WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: honey

Default honey

how many use honey - and how do you carry it

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

If you're only out for short time, a small nalgene bottle works well. Resupply gets tricky on longer hikes.
    I typically only carry honey if I'm taking a bakepacker for pancakes.

Images

The little plastic squirt bottles of honey work well, but keep them in a ziploc freezer bag in your pack.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I also like honey sticks.

I pick up a couple of the small honey packs from Chik-Filet. Not sure on a thru, probably have to go with a small bottle of some type. but for shorter hikes, the single-serving packets you get at fast food places work pretty well

Images

Minimus sells single serve. A nice break from jelly and jam on longer hikes. Just don't break open a package. I released a bear hang in the Sierra and broke open a container of honey in my food bag. I was a bit nervous the following night and had visions of scores of bears being attracted to the honey.

Watch out for those single serve packs, many places have started making them honey flavored HFCS, with 0.0% honey. It is cheaper that way, never mind they only remotely taste like honey and are nothing but poison. IMHO
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

I get great honey from my neighbor, and I use it on almost every trip. I take it in a little squeeze bottle inside a ziplock, as previously mentioned. Works great! If I refill at a resupply I will change the bag and wash off the bottle and it stays clean. IfI go over a week or so between cleanings I end up with sticky--everything.

Honey is great on anything!

I use a little in oatmeal and cream of wheat. Small bottle.

http://www.honeystinger.com/products/ginsting.html

When craving honey(bee vomit) I like simple packets obtained from Starbucks for things like green and herbal teas, spreading on Kashi Fire Roasted Veggie crackers with maybe goat cheese and tahini and Honey Stinger products especially the gels which contain 80% honey.

Yes, I carry it, And Use it.

Carry it in an eyedropper bottle, works super good. Use it for first aid, works better than anything else I've ever used.

u.w.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The little plastic squirt bottles of honey work well, but keep them in a ziploc freezer bag in your pack.
    This. I use honey for almost all sweetening needs at home, so why not on the trail. I also turn a lot of it into mead, but that's a different thread.

I mix honey with peanut butter then use as a spread on tortillas. Makes an easy lunch. No recipe, I simply scoop out some peanut butter from smallest jar I can find then add the honey to my desired consistency. You could also add some corn flour and make Ultra Light Joe's Moose Goo.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Saw crystalized honey at Walmart the other day.
    Label said it would clump.

Honey Stinger gels. I use them for ultra-marathons, and long distance hiking.

I carried and used a lot of honey, usually one pound every 4 days or so. It was a standard resupply item for me every time. I used it on everything. The bear-shaped containers always worked for me.

Buy honey at the market in the smallest bottle available. Use it to sweeten oatmeal, tea, etc. At lunch with peanut butter and flat bread. Always have it in my food bag.

I use to take them up in a small glass bottle where honey stays perfect for long!

++ New Posts ++