WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default LIGHTHEART GEAR or ZPACKS for a tent

What is everyone's preference and why between these two tent options? I am planning a thru hike March 2017 on the AT. Both have excellent reviews. Thanks!

My limited, but extremely positive dealings with Lightheart Gear would steer me their way.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I have some Zpacks gear including a tent, and like all of it. I've seen the Lightheart tents set up and they looked great, too. Tough choice.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Both mfgs are great
    Depends on attributes you want in shelter, they are different

I went for a ZPacks Duplex. Compared to the competitor, it is lighter. I haven't used it yet on the trail, so I can't say beyond that.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Not familiar with Lightweight enough to compare but we do own a Zpacks Triplex and can say we have been really happy with it. We did opt for the Triplex over the Duplex and can say it was a good choice for us. The weight difference between the two was pretty small compared to the increased room which allows us to bring in our gear and still have room although I don't know how realistic it would be to sleep 3. I haven't looked at all their tents but am impressed with the strength, construction and attention to detail of the products we have from Zpacks. That being said, you may want to check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear. We opted for their packs and have been impressed with their products and service and took a look at their tents. It was a tough choice for us but opted for the Zpacks as a better option for us.

Images

Hey, plodalong, thanks for that mini-review. We have a Hexamid Twin and an SMD Lunar Duo, and wanted to get either a Duplex or a Triplex to replace both of them -- I was leaning toward the Triplex, and your post affirms that. Thanks!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

LHG - Silnylon, lightweight, cheaper
    Zpacks - Cuben fiber (completely waterproof), very lightweight, expensive

Silnylon will see some misting in heavy rain and will hold water to an extent, but it is durable for being lightweight. Cuben fiber is inherantly waterproof but not as durable and requires some care.

Both are good quality tents. I have a Duplex on order but own the SMD Lunar Solo. I will use them at different times for different trips...I would lean more towards the Duplex when lots of rain is expected.

The LightHeart Gear Solong 6 is HUGE for one person in all directions. The Duo is even larger than the Solong 6 with a very modest increase in weight and price.
    A Solong 6 AND a nice ULA backpack are less than the price of the ZPacks Altaplex.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Love my Lightheart Gear Duo. It's ACTUALLY a real two person tent, hooray. Plus the cranberry color is a nice change from the gray that is most tarp tents...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JackThLion View Post
    Love my Lightheart Gear Duo. It's ACTUALLY a real two person tent, hooray...
    ....if the two people dont want to sit up at same time..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-04-2016 at 06:28.

I have a LHG SL6 and I love it.

I hike by myself and it is a palace for one person. I wish there was a way to disengage the built in canopy. Only reason, to save weight.

When I'm going to be spending more time in the national forests and such I use that.

I cannot comment on the Zpack. Simply put I cannot afford it. I realize the benefits of Cuban vs Sil

I have nothing but good things to say about My SL6 or Judy.

Best,
    Floyd

I have a Solong 6 and a Duplex in the cuben version, and absolutely love both. I have a difficult time choosing between the two.

I have a LHG Solo tent. I previously had a Tarptent Double Rainbow. In a really hard rain I did get misting thru the Tarptent. I have been in several severe storms with the LHG tent with NO misting at all. I had hoped to get the SL6 in Cuban fiber for lighter weight and more room but she quit making them in Cuban.
    I would like a Cuban fiber tent but I'm finding it hard to justify spending that much for a tent.

I do have a Cuban fiber pack and Cuban fiber tarp for my hammock. Very happy with both.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ....if the two people dont want to sit up at same time..
    Hmm that's a good point. I was thinking more about floor space, though, since a lot of 2 person tents only have room for 2 sleeping pads and nothing else.

Headroom still seems fine to me, but I'm coming from a Tarptent pro trail which has less.

My experience camping...finding a flat spot with out roots for a tent. Up on the AT are there plenty of places to put the two man? The material looks pretty delicate (even with a tent pad).

I really like my Zpacks Solplex, and before that my Zpacks Hexamid. No experience with LightHeart Gear. I bet they make great shelters too. Lots of good choices now compared to the past.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse74 View Post
    My experience camping...finding a flat spot with out roots for a tent. Up on the AT are there plenty of places to put the two man? The material looks pretty delicate (even with a tent pad).
    That cuben fiber floor is pretty tough, we never used a ground cloth.

There are a lot of obvious, well used tent sites along the AT - not all of them are particularly flat, or great, but they do exist.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I haved loved Lightheart Gear's products and customer service for years as a hiker - WAY BEFORE - opening up 2 AT gear stores. SO - BOTH of my gear stores on the AT carry Lightheart gear. (Woody Gap Outfitters at NOBO mile 21.1 AND Top of Georgia Outfitters NOBO mile 69.6).

If I'm not mistaken, LHG uses a higher waterproof silnylon in her tents (?), which may explain why misting is lesser. I have owned two Zpack tents (Duplex & Altaplex) and I am soon to be an owner of a LHG SoLong 6. I will say with the Duplex, you need to have your pitch dialed in and check your sag before going to bed. The Altaplex is more forgiving and has better rain protection. LHG tents have very good rain protection.

My opinion is, unless you are pursuing a 10 pound base weight, a SoLong 6 is half the price and will give you plenty of space and better rain protection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++