WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I actually have that knife stashed in the gear closet!!! thanks will consider vs micra. I've been spoiled on leatherman over the years. Have a coupe of cans of permethrin I intend to use. Nasty chemical but has saved me from most ticks over the years

Images

You have a pretty good list. This is for a very early sobo hike, right?

Clothing: you have two light long sleeve and one light short sleeve shirt. A down jacket for insulation. I'd want to swap one of the l/s shirts for a light microfleece pullover, like say the Capilene 4 grid fleece. Something to wear on the trail while hiking in cool weather, since you won't want to wear the down jacket hiking. (Or swap it for a single layer 3oz wind shirt for the same use, but the microfleece has more uses.) It'll be chilly in the morning.

You'll probably end up wearing the shorts to hike and keeping the long pants for camp (bugs). Well, I would.

Your rain shell is significantly heavier than it needs to be, though if you already own it that's fine. If not, there are ~9oz choices that will work well.

Food: 1 pound per day for five days for the Hundred Mile Wilderness? This would not be anywhere near enough for me. Even if it was 1 pound of olive oil, that's still only ~4000 calories per day, and most backpacking food is 100-120 cal/oz, so you're getting more like 2000 cal per day. But if that has worked for you in the past, then you are the final and best judge of your food requirements. Me, I like to eat well on the trail -- reflected in my pack weight.

If I keep my iPhone 6+ in airplane mode, the battery will last 8-10 days with moderate use (the occasional GPS reading, photo, maybe a text on the top of a mountain). My wife uses hers for a journal, so she spends a lot of time at night writing in it, an the battery still lasts a week. So we have not ever felt the need for a portable charger. Though I can see the need if you'll be using the phone a lot every day, and/or not using airplane mode.

Good luck with the hike.

Edit: yeah, permethrin on everything. Having had Lyme disease, it sucks.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Big Cranky/Ken. Thanks for the input. Am really considering leaving rain paints since I have zippered long pants. They are heavy and I really don't care about being wet. Spent 24 yrs in the Army so cold, wet, tired and hungry are no strangers afield. BUT, I'm a civilian now and have the ability and means to overcome a lot of unnecessary intentional discomfort (if that makes sense).

Thought to all: Am open for rain shell recommendations

Down Jacket and/or a fleece are tough for me. I can really tolerate cold well when I'm moving so either way, I will be sending jacket back sooner rather than later and then get it back as I approach fall in the southern mountains.

In the 100 Mile Wilderness I will have a resupply dropped at Jo-Mary logging road about half-way. Typically my first week on a trail I'm not a heavy eater so am taking that into consideration. I tend to eat freeze dried (Mountain House) for Breakfast and Dinner, each about 500 cal plus Hi-cal foods during the mid-day. Not a big eater though and my field need is usually good at 2000-3000/day. Before I am chastised for eating prepared dehydrated foods keep in mind that budget allows me to eat well every day. Like you Ken, I like to unapologetically eat well on the trail.

The phone is there. I'm not journaling but am an avid reader so the Kindle app and downloaded ebooks will be welcomed in the airplane mode as will the occasional photo.

Definitely gonna bug juice my equipment.

I just got the mountain hardware alpine plasmic jacket. Have only worn it a couple time in the rain. Seems to be exactly as described. I love it.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...or=711#start=6

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    I just got the mountain hardware alpine plasmic jacket. Have only worn it a couple time in the rain. Seems to be exactly as described. I love it.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens...or=711#start=6

Very Nice. I like the length. I.m looking foro something in the 6-9 OZ range, about half the weight of yours. I have a columbia similar to your MHG. Thanks for the recommendation

Images

I didn't carry rain pants on the Long Trail in July, but I was very happy to have my silnylon rain kilt that my wife made for me. We had some epic cold all day rainstorms, and when I tried early on to just hike and let my nylon shorts get wet, I was pretty cold and miserable. The kilt helped hold in some heat -- same with the jacket, actually. Many days I was just completely soaked head to toe, but I stayed warm enough because of the rain shell and rain kilt. (Shell is an older Montbell w/b jacket, weighs 12 oz.) Even in July we had days with highs around 50 and pouring rain.

Having a resupply in the middle of the HMW makes me less concerned about your calorie load -- was thinking you would try to get through in five days with a minimal food load and we'd find you emaciated by the side of the trail.....

The Marmot Essence and the OR Helium II get good reviews and are pretty light.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Also, my lovely wife and hiking partner has the Zpacks cuben rain pants and likes them, so here is their rain shell. It's pricey, but still not as high as some other jackets.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

List of rain jackets to consider

ZPacks
    Lightheart gear
    Luke's ultralite
    Anti Gravity Gear
    I know there are others.

On a whim I purchased a Mountain Hardware Plasmic on sale for 40 dollars.
    Wetted out on first mild rain in just a few minutes.
    It is my town jacket.

I'd add to that list the Montbell Versalite. My size M weighs 6.8oz and is large enough to accommodate some layers. It has 2 hand pockets and pit zips, elastic cinch at the hem and face (hood) and Velcro at the cuffs.

I also have an OR Helium II but I don't like the features nearly as well as those of the Versalite. It has no hand pockets, but it does have a single chest "Napoleon" pocket. Funkiest thing about the Helium II is the hood, which has an elastic cinch cord that is designed to simultaneously cinch the top part down while pulling the edges back from the face, but ends up doing neither one well. The Helium II also runs very small. The size L is about the same as the Versalite M.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'd add to that list the Montbell Versalite. My size M weighs 6.8oz and is large enough to accommodate some layers. It has 2 hand pockets and pit zips, elastic cinch at the hem and face (hood) and Velcro at the cuffs.

I also have an OR Helium II but I don't like the features nearly as well as those of the Versalite. It has no hand pockets, but it does have a single chest "Napoleon" pocket. Funkiest thing about the Helium II is the hood, which has an elastic cinch cord that is designed to simultaneously cinch the top part down while pulling the edges back from the face, but ends up doing neither one well. The Helium II also runs very small. The size L is about the same as the Versalite M.
    My admitted weak link is indeed rain gear. What I have is Columbia and fine about town but certainly too heavy for extended trail use.

I have used a lightweight poncho over the years but have grown to hate it.

On 12 March REI will have an annual garage sale so will see what I can pick up there before going all in on my rain kit.

Let me throw this at y'all...I know it sounds silly/stupid but there is a Froggs Togg suit that divides the community 50/50. It's 5.5 oz for the suit and is nothing more than tyvek. Complaints range from easy tear but proponents swear duct tape fix is simple. They also say that one could buy 10-12 Frogg Togg's for the price of one high end rain suit. Just throwing it out there for thought.

Get there early and be first in line for the garage sales... they can be a real madhouse!

REI always has a '20% off sale' at the same time they do the dividend checks, and that'll be soon.

Also, a very good resource for searching for used gear across several pertinent websites: Used Outdoor Gear Search

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balido View Post
    M
    Let me throw this at y'all...I know it sounds silly/stupid but there is a Froggs Togg suit that divides the community 50/50. It's 5.5 oz for the suit and is nothing more than tyvek. Complaints range from easy tear but proponents swear duct tape fix is simple. They also say that one could buy 10-12 Frogg Togg's for the price of one high end rain suit. Just throwing it out there for thought.
    It's not Tyvek, it's microporous polypropylene--very breathable but like you said quite fragile (Tyvek is way stronger and not really breathable). There are other alternatives, too, like DriDucks and the one I use, O2 Rainshield.

For a trail like the AT, I think that FroggToggs etc. are perfect. They're very breathable, and because the trail is well-groomed, you shouldn't have major issues with tearing the jacket on branches or brush. I've heard that the rainpants made with these materials are too fragile to bother with because pants get more strain from motions of walking, bending, etc., but I haven't tried the pants.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    It's not Tyvek, it's microporous polypropylene--very breathable but like you said quite fragile (Tyvek is way stronger and not really breathable). There are other alternatives, too, like DriDucks and the one I use, O2 Rainshield.

For a trail like the AT, I think that FroggToggs etc. are perfect. They're very breathable, and because the trail is well-groomed, you shouldn't have major issues with tearing the jacket on branches or brush. I've heard that the rainpants made with these materials are too fragile to bother with because pants get more strain from motions of walking, bending, etc., but I haven't tried the pants.
    Burger, I stand corrected. yes they are polypropylne, thanks

WOW; that is a lot of stuff that as you can see all those ounces added up fast! I'm an ULer/Lightweight kind of guy and to think of carrying a base weight of 19+ lbs. is just down right tiring! Coupled with 12+ LBS of consumables ugh?

No need for a trowel; many rocks that can be overturned and many sticks that can be used to dig a hole. Besides; you should be packing out your TP(LNT principle)!!! Half roll of TP, you wont be using as much when you're burning those calories; really!!! Please do not leave your TP along the trail or anywhere else but your garbage bag!!! Every time I go through the 100 mile this very issue is found and it's always at Cloud Pond or Long Pond! On my thru hike in 12' I spent three hours cleaning a groups TP up that littered the trail into Cloud Pond. Needless to say, it was not a very positive moment for that group leader when I caught up with them.

Loose the rain pants; extra t-shirt; extra shorts and convertible pants replacing with a long sleeve crew neck(not cotton) and a pair of the lightest leggings you can find. Also loose the bug net; wash your nasties w/lemon grass soup and carry a little vile of lemon grass w/you. I have absolutely no issues with bugs at all in Maine! I witnessed a British couple get destroyed because they had clothes washed in scented soap, hair and body washed with scented soap and used entirely way to much bug spray that you can smell a mile away. LEMONGRASS SOAP AND OIL ONLY!!! Don't spray your stuff w/chemicals! You'll be sweating and that crap will just saturate into your skin. Use lemongrass oil on your stuff and neck. You wont be disappointed!

Loose the extra pot, keep the lid(keeps boiling time down); loose the leatherman and replace with a micro swiss; loose the pad repair kit; replace the wind screen with aluminum foil along with the sponges and soap.

Use three 1L Platypus collapsible bladders for your water carrying 1-2L @ a time. No more than two unless cameling up before the shelter or camping spot.

32 degree bag is all you need; keep it under 22 ounces though and that ground tarp has to go. Consider tyvek or storm window plastic.
    Loose the filter and just carry Aqua Mira for those sketchy water sources but keep in mind, there aren't many. I treated my water maybe a dozen times on the AT.

Compasses are not really required on the AT if you have wilderness experience but to be safe carry a wee compass. Carry only small sections of the guide book at a time. You can also double the used guide pages as TP(just crumble it up a bunch to make it soft and bammmmm; clean butt)!

I can keep going and going but I think you get my and everyone else's drift. You really need to loose about 10lbs of gear or more. Spending money on high quality UL/lightweight gear will not be a disappointing consideration and it's better to do it now then halfway down the trail or even in Gorham or wherever. I see many areas that if researched could cut you more ounces which eventually equal a full lb. Spend lots of time browsing the UL/lightweight side of the house and you'll see that you can still be comfortable and stay light while at the same time not being irresponsible to yourself and rescue crews.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

BTW OP;
    Thanks for serving!
    Climb to Glory!!
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    WOW; that is a lot of stuff that as you can see all those ounces added up fast! I'm an ULer/Lightweight kind of guy and to think of carrying a base weight of 19+ lbs. is just down right tiring! Coupled with 12+ LBS of consumables ugh?

No need for a trowel; many rocks that can be overturned and many sticks that can be used to dig a hole. Besides; you should be packing out your TP(LNT principle)!!! Half roll of TP, you wont be using as much when you're burning those calories; really!!! Please do not leave your TP along the trail or anywhere else but your garbage bag!!! Every time I go through the 100 mile this very issue is found and it's always at Cloud Pond or Long Pond! On my thru hike in 12' I spent three hours cleaning a groups TP up that littered the trail into Cloud Pond. Needless to say, it was not a very positive moment for that group leader when I caught up with them.

Loose the rain pants; extra t-shirt; extra shorts and convertible pants replacing with a long sleeve crew neck(not cotton) and a pair of the lightest leggings you can find. Also loose the bug net; wash your nasties w/lemon grass soup and carry a little vile of lemon grass w/you. I have absolutely no issues with bugs at all in Maine! I witnessed a British couple get destroyed because they had clothes washed in scented soap, hair and body washed with scented soap and used entirely way to much bug spray that you can smell a mile away. LEMONGRASS SOAP AND OIL ONLY!!! Don't spray your stuff w/chemicals! You'll be sweating and that crap will just saturate into your skin. Use lemongrass oil on your stuff and neck. You wont be disappointed!

Loose the extra pot, keep the lid(keeps boiling time down); loose the leatherman and replace with a micro swiss; loose the pad repair kit; replace the wind screen with aluminum foil along with the sponges and soap.

Use three 1L Platypus collapsible bladders for your water carrying 1-2L @ a time. No more than two unless cameling up before the shelter or camping spot.

32 degree bag is all you need; keep it under 22 ounces though and that ground tarp has to go. Consider tyvek or storm window plastic.
    Loose the filter and just carry Aqua Mira for those sketchy water sources but keep in mind, there aren't many. I treated my water maybe a dozen times on the AT.

Compasses are not really required on the AT if you have wilderness experience but to be safe carry a wee compass. Carry only small sections of the guide book at a time. You can also double the used guide pages as TP(just crumble it up a bunch to make it soft and bammmmm; clean butt)!

I can keep going and going but I think you get my and everyone else's drift. You really need to loose about 10lbs of gear or more. Spending money on high quality UL/lightweight gear will not be a disappointing consideration and it's better to do it now then halfway down the trail or even in Gorham or wherever. I see many areas that if researched could cut you more ounces which eventually equal a full lb. Spend lots of time browsing the UL/lightweight side of the house and you'll see that you can still be comfortable and stay light while at the same time not being irresponsible to yourself and rescue crews.
    Thanks for the input. I have removed all of the things you mentioned since my OP weeks ago plus had two shakedowns (one from REI and one from a 2014 UL throughhiker. My base is down to 16.34 lbs and consumable at 11 lbs. (Consumables will be high going through the 100 mile wilderness but will decrease to about 5 lbs by middle June). In July I shed another 1.5 lbs from base weight as I send my UL long underwear and down jacket back home. This gives me a 1 July base weight of 14.84. With consumables this brings me to about 20 lbs for most of the trail.

OP;
    That's a great base weight to enjoy the trail were you don't mind those extra miles right out the gate.
    In terms of rain gear; I also made the switch over to a rain kilt like BigCranky. I can't hike in rain paints at all unless the temps are below 10 degrees but that rain kilt from Antigravity Gear I can wear all day and when packed away it weighs a stout 1.6oz.
    Keep on with the tedious struggle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++