WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What's the best section to hike in mid - late June?

My daughter and I are are planning our very first section hike this June. We were planning on starting in Georgia, probably Springer,,and continuing on to the border of NC. Our schedules require that we hike in the last half of June. Is this a good section at that time? Too hot? Too busy? Can anyone recommend a better section at that time of year that would be recommended for first timers?

Pretty much anywhere by mid June. Georgia might be a bit warm, but otherwise fine and shouldn't be too busy as nearly all the thru hikers will have already passed through.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hike a section at the highest elevation to beat some of the heat and humidity.

Images

It'll be warm and sometimes humid, but much cooler than the flatlands. The rush of thru-hikers will be long gone, but there will be people on the trail. It won't be super crowded, though.

Expect afternoon thunderstorms and try to be off the ridgelines by 4pm. You won't get hit every day, but you'll hear them nearby. Low temps will likely be in the 60s but could drop as low as the high 40s; daytime temps will be in the 70s or low 80s. (Get a forecast right before you leave for better info.)

Starting in Georgia at Springer has some advantages, especially if this will become a regular thing and you can pick up the following year where you left off. Harder to get to from NY, and home. Long drive. But a good section.

Otherwise there are a lot of 1- or 2-week hikes on the AT that would work, pretty much anywhere. Hiking the first hundred miles in Vermont, from the Mass border to the Inn at Long Trail, is pretty spectacular, takes about 10 days, and is closer to your location. The ~75 mile section in Southwest Virginia between Atkins and Damascus is lovely at the end of June (we hiked that section last year the same week). It takes about 7 days, and has beautiful open ridgelines and wild ponies. Easy access from I-81.

Good luck, the planning part is fun too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If you hike the Roan Mountain area you will catch the rhododendron in bloom. If you have the time hike from Carvers Gap to Grayson Highlands and catch two of the best sections of the trail.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll let you know what we decide.

You might also consider Shenandoah National Park. It might be a little crowded but you are never far from Skyline Drive in case you need to get off the trail for some reason. The terrain is moderate but offers some good views. The waysides offer "real" food and milkshakes. I found it a great place to take my first section hike (with my 15 year old son and three of his buddies) back in 2005.

Images

I will strongly agree with the Roan Mountain/Hump and Little Hump sections. BEAUTIFUL that time of year, if a bit crowded. To this day, having hiked Springer to Vermont, the Hump Mountain hike is my absolute favorite. Could have had something to do with the weather patterns when we were there, but I found the hike over Hump and Little Hump stunning.

Images

Just wanted to add: not only are the Rhododendron in bloom, but so are the Flame Azalea and the extremely rare Grey's Lilly (found in this area, just a few steps off the AT).

Images

I am going to have to vote for Roan highlands too. Plenty of blooms. The two groups pf balds are just so neat. Not too warm yet. The barn is cool to see. Cool areas ast 19E as well. Great hostel on 19E.

Maybe start at Spivey Gap and head north to Dennis Cove..or 19E

Two of my favorite stretches in the South for a 6-8 day hike would be from Erwin TN Northbound to Dennis Cove. This would include such highlights as the beuty Spot; Roan Mountain, the Trail's prettiest shelter, Overmountain, and the Roan Highlands as well. You'd finish up at Kincora Hostel, which is less than half an hour's walk to the largest waterfall on the whole Trail.

An alternative would be to hike Southbound from VA 16 near Mario, VA. Great stretch of Trail includes the area around Grayson Highlands State Park, which is spectacular. You'd finish up in Damascus VA, one of the most hiker-friendly towns on the whole trail.

++ New Posts ++