WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Depends. If I'm hiking solo, I like to use a bladder because otherwise I'd have to take off my pack every time I wanted a drink. If I'm hiking with someone, then I like to use bottles because it's easier to monitor consumption.
    It's all good in the woods.

I started with hard nalgene bottles but switched to a bladder (3L) around 20 years ago. I frequently just start with 3 liters of water which allows me to skip water sources throughout the day. My pack is light enough that 3-4 extra pounds for part of the day doesn't bother me. I generally know about how much water I have remaining in my bladder based upon years of using a bladder. I've always just filled directly into bladder without removing it from pack. With the Sawyer, I used to have an adapter on it then I would just pull bite valve off and attach to end of hose but have since switched to a quick-connect system. On the southern sections of the PCT I went with both a 3L bladder and a couple of bottles. On big water hauls I drink bladder water first. This allowed me to know exactly where I stand on water (once bladder was depleted).

One additional draw for me on the use of bladders is that a significant amount of weight is positioned perfectly in my pack, close to my back and the right height. This also acts as padding for the times I carry my kindle. I place it between the bladder and my back.

I've never had a bladder leak on me but I do replace them as needed. Perhaps every other year on average. Have had the bite valve come off on 3 or 4 occasions but have always located them. But because of this I now carry a spare in my repair kit.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trpost View Post
    I have had a problem with the bite valve letting lots of water out when I accidently left it open and set the pack on it. My pack has a sleeve, and I have not had any problems putting a full bladder into the sleeve. I do carry a liter bottle as well, so when my water bladder runs dry I know I have one liter left. How much water goes in the bladder depends on how far it is to the next water source.
    I see you mention accidentally leaving the valve open, so you know it closes... but a lot of hikers I've met seem to be unaware that a Camelbak bite valve has a shutoff valve. (That piece of yellow plastic on it turns, and shuts off the flow of water.

A worse problem is that I've, exactly once, got the valve caught in a 'biner that I had clipped to a ladder strap. It pulled out and the entire contents of the reservoir siphoned out all down the front of me. I was not a happy hiker. But I don't think I could do that trick again if I tried!
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

A camel back is great for dayhikes, but not much use for really long hikes. They require frequent cleaning, you have to unload your pack to fill them, they take up room in your pack, they leak all over your stuff, you can't tell when you're running out, and most of all THEY'RE HEAVY!

For the weight of my camelback (7.8oz) I can carry:

2 liter platypus for camp: 1.3
    2 - 700 liter Ozarka bottles: 1.2
    20 oz Poweraid bottle with wide mouth for powedered drinks: .6
    DIY Water bottle holster: .4
    DIY Water bucket: .8
    Top of Smart Water bottle cut off for use as funnel: .6

Total: 4.9 oz

Savings: 2.9 oz.

I just purchased a ULA Catalyst backpack and the shoulder straps have adjustable water bottle elastic holders built in to the straps up front as well as reachable sleeves on the sides for additional bottles. Think I'll ditch the bladder & go bottles only...2 Gatorade and 2 Smart water. Four bottles along with my Sawyer should do me fine.

Use a hat.

Only use an old boot when absolutely necessary.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    A camel back is great for dayhikes, but not much use for really long hikes. They require frequent cleaning, you have to unload your pack to fill them, they take up room in your pack, they leak all over your stuff, you can't tell when you're running out, and most of all THEY'RE HEAVY!

For the weight of my camelback (7.8oz) I can carry:

2 liter platypus for camp: 1.3
    2 - 700 liter Ozarka bottles: 1.2
    20 oz Poweraid bottle with wide mouth for powedered drinks: .6
    DIY Water bottle holster: .4
    DIY Water bucket: .8
    Top of Smart Water bottle cut off for use as funnel: .6

Total: 4.9 oz

Savings: 2.9 oz.
    To present the opposing point of view, I use bladders pretty much exclusively without much trouble. I have not seen conditions where any bladders I have used require frequent cleaning, though that may be more of a personal issue as to how often one cleans them out. I do not mix flavored powders in the bladder, so that may reduce the need for cleaning and I filter water from ground sources so that may have a cleaning impact. I don't have to unload a pack to get water into the bladder and can refill it in place.

I have not had issues with leakage and getting stuff wet, though I have seen people try to save grams by trimming the plastic edges of bladder seams too close and develop a leak, do not pay attention when sealing the lid that allows them to leak when squeezed, or not close off the bite valve that can siphon water out of the bladder in some situations. I do not trim edges of the bladder and pay attention when securing the lid and hosing hardware to avoid that potential. The packs I use have a bladder compartment so gear space is not impacted.

The CamelBak I carry is a 3 liter size (100 fl oz) with hosing and bite valve, total weight by my scale is 6.3 ounces (advertised specification states 6.5 ounces). I will usually carry about a liter with me most of the time, depending on the distance of the next water source and have been able to determine what my basic water consumption is per mile, which makes source selection easier. I will fill it up when making camp.

Overall, my water containment weight is only 1.4 ounces heavier and does not have as many things associated with it.

This doesn't mean my system is better or worse than others, just another way of doing the same thing.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    To present the opposing point of view, I use bladders pretty much exclusively without much trouble. I have not seen conditions where any bladders I have used require frequent cleaning, though that may be more of a personal issue as to how often one cleans them out. I do not mix flavored powders in the bladder, so that may reduce the need for cleaning and I filter water from ground sources so that may have a cleaning impact. I don't have to unload a pack to get water into the bladder and can refill it in place.
    I'm another Camelbak user, but being a clueless weekender, I probably am doing it all wrong. I basically don't drink untreated surface water, ever. (I make an exception for a couple of springs that I know have artesian sources.) So there's nothing in the bladder but clean water. The other thing that causes bladders to need frequent cleaning is biofilm formation. I find that if I use Aqua Mira at least once every day or two, even if I'm otherwise filling the Camelbak from a Sawyer filter, that does a great deal to cut down on film formation in the first place.

My usual load of containers is a two-litre Camelbak and a one-litre Nalgene. The Nalgene bottle also is my coffee maker / hot cup / thermos (I made a Reflectix cover for it), so I'm willing to carry the few extra ounces. I don't carry a separate coffee cup, and I tend to want coffee with my porridge in the morning, not before or after it.

In winter, the Camelbak stays home, because the hose freezes too easily. I bring a couple of extra Nalgene bottles - all with Reflectix sleeves. I don't like using things like Gatorade bottles for the purpose because too often I'm pouring in boiling water and the soft drink bottles don't hold up to that very well. Some of them also impart a plastic taste to hot water, which must indicate chemical leaching, which can't be good. I do bring one Smartwater bottle on winter trips, but that's for wastewater, not drinking water.

I've on at least one occasion tucked a Polident tablet in a resupply box, to give the reservoir a thorough cleaning while I was in town with access to piped water. That also helps with removing the lime deposits that it tends to get if I'm hiking in karst terrain.

The advantage to bladders/hydration systems is that you have constant accessibility to your water, i.e. no struggling to reach (and replace) a water bottle after you drink. You also tend to drink more often, which is a good thing, as hikers are pretty much chronically dehydrated from not drinking enough.

The dis-advantage to hydration systems is that they can leak, or lose a bite valve, and some are easily punctured. However the real dis-advantage is that when it's buried in your pack. it's easy to lose track of how much water you've got left; you don't want to find yourself sucking on an empty bag and then discover you're five miles away from the next water source. So if you opt for the bladder, check it periodically so you know how much is in your tank; you may also want to carry a small (16-20 oz.) plastic bottle as a back-up.

Instead of Nalgenes, a lot of folks are switching to Gatorade or better yet, 1 qt. Powerade bottles, which are narrower and have a better hand grip. And we're seeing lots of 1 liter Smart Water bottles, which are really narrow, fit easily in and out of sleeves on the sides of your pack, and best of all, work well with the increasingly popular Sawyer filtration system.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Instead of Nalgenes, a lot of folks are switching to Gatorade or better yet, 1 qt. Powerade bottles, which are narrower and have a better hand grip. And we're seeing lots of 1 liter Smart Water bottles, which are really narrow, fit easily in and out of sleeves on the sides of your pack, and best of all, work well with the increasingly popular Sawyer filtration system.
    Yeah. I still don't trust the Gatorade/Powerade/SmartWater bottles wiht boiling water. In summer, I carry one Nalgene to serve as a coffee maker. In winter, I may be boiling all my drinking water (if I need to melt it, I might as well boil it) and so I want my containers to be able to handle it. If I didn't use a bladder, I'd surely use the lighter bottles in warm weather, because I only need one coffee pot.

I do throw maybe a pint of water in the one Nalgene I carry, as a "reserve tank" in case I space out and let the bladder run dry.

I drink a lot of water so I use a combination of 2L bladder, 1L Smartwater and 1L Gatorade bottle, though I don't fill them all at the same time.

the 2L bladder is for drinking on the move. this is normally all the water I carry but I can supplement with the Gatorade bottle.

the Gatorade bottle is for in camp, with drink mixes, etc.. it's normally empty on the move but I'll sometimes fill it if I'm not sure of supply, It's also an alternate source in case the Platy fails.

the Smartwater bottle is my dirty water because the Sawyer filter screws right on. I carry it empty and filter when water is available and needed. If something happened to my bladder, I could throw some tablets in there to sterilize the bottle and use it as an alternate clean water container.

I have the 2L Platupus internal and 2 gatorade bottles full to start.
    In the heat - over 50 degrees - you will go through water quickly.

I used Sawyer Squeeze, not the mini.

Journal Entries

Thanks guys, I hate the taste of my camel back and hose but I haven't tried to carry it on my shoulder strap so I will try it this weekend. This is my first AT hike and my first overnight hike. I am hiking the Georgia part of the AT the last week in April. I am trying to get the best possible of everything without spending a fortune.

my problem with a bladder has always been accessing it to refill it. Trying to get it out of a tight pack and then back in when full. Any suggestions?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I used to use water bottles but left the cap off one time and the contents spilled out ;-)

Images

I found the pocket for my bladder to be impractical for that reason. Now I just lay it flat across the top of the load. As it collapses, it's shape conforms to the top of the other stuff so it doesn't shift. That part worked better than expected.

I have two water bottles for drinking, but have two 900 mL bladders. One is for dirty water when filtering with a Sawer. The other is a backup. One or both can be used for extra water if I hit a dry stretch, or if I need to dry camp. The can fit in the side pockets, but I find they carry better if I lie the on the top of my pack , right behind my head. The most efficient way to carry weight is centered over the spine. When I hike, I lean forward, so the extra water weight is in an optimal location.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    my problem with a bladder has always been accessing it to refill it. Trying to get it out of a tight pack and then back in when full. Any suggestions?
    I take the bite valve off my Camelbak and plug my Sawyer Mini into the hose. I can feel the back pressure when the bag is full.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++