WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Some people hike State line to State line regardless where it falls, others hike from access trail to access trail, others from road crossing to road crossing. Not all plans or methods work for everyone or make sense to anyone outside of those doing it.
    fine, and maybe someone like the OP will read about how to actually hike to the border versus the idea of just stopping a hike at a place where it makes sense to stop with regards to setting up their next section hike and change their mind, one way or the other.

to me, their original concept of where they were considering parking their car tells me they were planning on hiking to jug end. then you all started with this stuff about hiking to just the border, going so far as to debate where the actual border (as opposed to the sign) really is. can someone who cares about this explain to me why hiking in this manner makes sense? convince me. maybe ill change my ways. what is the significance of a geopolitical boundary to how someone plans a hike?

To your point, there were suggestions of ending their trek both slightly south or north of the official State line. Like the Undermountain access trail south of Bear Mountain, the parking area on East Road in Mt Washington, Paradise Lane trail north of Bear, continuing over Race Mountain and dismounting the plateau at Race Brook Falls, and even on to the Jug End Road crossing. All of these places are where a car could be waiting.

Since the OP initially cited the CT/MA line as the objective, thats where the conversation centered around, along with some conversation about where the State line actually falls in that section of trail. There are some confusing physical features and signage that are in play there and are topics of discussion. Minutiae of the trail, or trail trivia are part of most any conversation regarding trail sections. For example, Bear Mountain is the highest summit in CT, but not the highest point in the State, or passing the site of Shays rebellion can temper ones consideration of post revolution American history. Life is in the details, border markings can be accurate or approximate, which is fun for some to figure out for any number of reasons, geocaching would find this of interest for example. Distances to obscure water sources, camping spots away from shelters, and if anyone has seen any game are endlessly discussed, ad infinitum.

To some, hiking to a State line may sound arbitrary or silly. To the OP however, that objective may have significance in a plan they have not shared. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different. Convincing you their plan makes sense, when clearly hiking to a boundary line on a map like a state line is not something you would consider doing would not make sense. You have different parameters of what a section hike should include, I have my own as well. This is one of those instances where hiking ones own hike applies.

Images

To your point, there were suggestions of ending their trek both slightly south or north of the official State line. Like the Undermountain access trail south of Bear Mountain, the parking area on East Road in Mt Washington, Paradise Lane trail north of Bear, continuing over Race Mountain and dismounting the plateau at Race Brook Falls, and even on to the Jug End Road crossing. All of these places are where a car could be waiting.

Since the OP initially cited the CT/MA line as the objective, thats where the conversation centered around, along with some conversation about where the State line actually falls in that section of trail. There are some confusing physical features and signage that are in play there and are topics of discussion. Minutiae of the trail, or trail trivia are part of most any conversation regarding trail sections. For example, Bear Mountain is the highest summit in CT, but not the highest point in the State, or passing the site of Shays rebellion can temper ones consideration of post revolution American history. Life is in the details, border markings can be accurate or approximate, which is fun for some to figure out for any number of reasons, geocaching would find this of interest for example. Distances to obscure water sources, camping spots away from shelters, and if anyone has seen any game are endlessly discussed, ad infinitum.

To some, hiking to a State line may sound arbitrary or silly. To the OP however, that objective may have significance in a plan they have not shared. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different. Convincing you their plan makes sense, when clearly hiking to a boundary line on a map like a state line is not something you would consider doing would not make sense. You have different parameters of what a section hike should include, I have my own as well. This is one of those instances where hiking ones own hike applies.
    the OP's original post, while mentioning the state line, also mentioned where their initial idea to leave a car was. do you know where this place is? because i do, and it is telling as to what their intent is. this idea of hiking to and only to the exact precise state line and no further is something the rest of you came up with. what i havent seen is anyone make any suggestions as to another place to park a car that is truly a good alternative to the OP's original, not allowed idea. HYOH indeed.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Bear Mountain's not being the high point reminds me: Mt Frissell, on whose shoulder the actual Connecticut high point lies, is near one corner of the triangle of land that New York won from Massachusetts in a prizefight. Who says that state lines don't have stories to tell?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    katahdin and springer are the ends of the trail. little different.

yes, the OP can do whatever they want. but anytime someone asks a question about hiking MA or CT a bunch if people chime in with all these different ways to hike to the border and only to the border. is that what the OP even asked? i dont see it at all.
    Next time ai want to Chime in on anything any OP says or questions
    my advice to the OP- hiking to the border is silly, just end before or after the taconics. that advice is just as valid as yours.
    Next time I want to chime in on anything even if it doesn't just refer to my own home states section, then I will be sure to check with you first to make sure I have your ok and it isint causing you frustration.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Madpaddy View Post
    Next time I want to chime in on anything even if it doesn't just refer to my own home states section, then I will be sure to check with you first to make sure I have your ok and it isint causing you frustration.

technically, since we seemed to be fixated on stopping at the CT border, it isnt your home states section.

sorry, i couldnt resist.

now in actual answer to the OP's question (though he/she probably figured this out for themselves long ago based on the one helpful link a couple people supplied) - there is a large parking area 1.8 easy trail miles further north from where you were originally planning on parking.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    technically, since we seemed to be fixated on stopping at the CT border, it isnt your home states section.

sorry, i couldnt resist.

now in actual answer to the OP's question (though he/she probably figured this out for themselves long ago based on the one helpful link a couple people supplied) - there is a large parking area 1.8 easy trail miles further north from where you were originally planning on parking.
    Glad you repeated what others have said. Perhaps now you will be able to get some well earned sleep

Images

Glad you repeated what others have said. Perhaps now you will be able to get some well earned sleep
    someone else mentioned the lot at the shay's rebellion monument? dont think i see that. its listed on the link a few people gave but no one who gave it was even suggesting it. you all read "state line" and completely missed that theyre planning on hiking to 41.

Images

was at shays last fall and there is indeed an AT lot there with a kiosk, should fit many cars if people park efficiently
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

in fact thats where im planning on finishing and leaving a car when we section hike up from sages in june. prob hike in from washington rd to skip the additional climb up from 41 since we have limited time.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++