WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Amtrack Police: Whats in the bag, sir?

Me: A water bladder (empty), change of clothes, sleeping bag, tent, a small tactical nuclear device, and an energy bar.

Amtrack police: So no battery acid, fuel, or pets?

Me: No sir.

Amtrack police: Ok, have a nice ride.

On a slightly unrelated point, is there much difference in the cost between buying your tickets in advance or on the day? I plan on taking the Amtrak a couple of times while in the states. Rail tickets in the UK can vary massively in price depending on when they're booked and I was wondering if it was similar there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    On a slightly unrelated point, is there much difference in the cost between buying your tickets in advance or on the day? I plan on taking the Amtrak a couple of times while in the states. Rail tickets in the UK can vary massively in price depending on when they're booked and I was wondering if it was similar there.
    Yes. The earlier you can purchase your train ticket, the lower the fare will be, and whereas in the UK train tickets become available 12 weeks out, Amtrak tickets are available 11 months out.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    This is why I've never tried to take my ice axe on public transportation. (And why I pretty much always have pick, adze and spike guards on it when it's not in use.) One acquaintance of mine once saw my pack with all the winter traction gear racked and said, "that's formidable!" Not a word I often hear in conversation.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

There is a huge difference in price. I've always bought my outbound ticket ahead of time, but my return-home ticket had to be purchased just a day or two prior.

Not sure yet if I'm flying to Atlanta and then taking a shuttle, catching a ride or possibly taking Amtrak. After reading this post, Amtrak sounds like a pretty good idea!

Images

I took the train from Philly to Atlanta in '14, it is the wild west out there just about anything goes. Bring ear plugs if you want to sleep I thought a herd a cackle in the middle of the night like a turkey. I don't know what it was but it was effen weird. But I'd do it again without hesitation if need arises with the ear plugs.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Amtrak has decades of experience dealing with hikers/backpackers. Some of their western trains serve gateways to national parks and other popular destinations. So long as you don't inconvenience or piss off staff or other passengers, you most likely won't have a problem. You can carry-on backpacks just like luggage. No one checks what's inside the pack, but if you have something visible that raises eyebrows some on-board employee or conductor might be interested.

If it won't fit in an overhead rack, there are storage shelves at the front and/or back of most coach cars. If you're paying extra for a sleeper, there might be enough space inside the "room" for your gear, but if not there is ample storage space elsewhere.

Amtrak can be a great way to travel. However, like backpacking, you need to be a little adventurous because things don't always go as planned. No worries...you'll figure it out and adapt if you have a good attitude.

Arriving in GA Monday night by train. So excited! Its a long ride from Los Angeles.

Journal Entries

Glad to hear they are not too uptight...just booked a Miami to New York, for mid July, yep, the whole way, for only 124 bucks!
    Seems like a fair deal to me and no airports to deal with.( I did get a discount for booking early and another one for 'old fart status', as I have just turned 62.)
    Time to ride the rails!

It's official, just booked my seat on the Crescent line from D.C. to Gainesville. I guess I am really doing this I start first week in April.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

TECHNICALLY they are prohibited
    https://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items
    However, there are no inspections, of any kind, of any luggage when you board or ride Amtrak. If it's out of sight, it's no problem.

If you're really worried, you can place them in checked baggage, where even fencing swords and guns are permitted.
    I think that is incorrect as there is nothing on that prohibited items list that mentions hiking poles. Alternately I believe that they fall under the "General Sporting Equipment" and "Ski and Snowboard" section of Amtrak's regulations that are found here https://www.amtrak.com/special-items While hiking poles aren't specifically mentioned Ski poles are specifically allowed.

I have personally taken my hiking poles on Amtrak several times. Each time they have been visible either on the side of my pack or sticking out of it and nobody has said anything about it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++