WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Florida's Torreya SP a great training location for flatlanders to get a burn

I want to recommend Torreya SP, about an hour west of Tallahassee, to other flatland hikers looking for a terrific place to train for your upcoming AT hike. The terrain is the most challenging I've found and combined with the condition of the trails, and the other park facilities it's the best place I've found in Florida to prepare for my, all too fast approaching, AT hike.

I learned about it a few years ago when my daughter was a student at FSU. They have some pretty intense adventure events there that she competed in. Torreya SP is located at the tail end of the Appalachian mountain range and offers, by far, the best terrain in the state. The park itself is a hidden gem. Besides having a very nice conventional campground there are primitive sites on the two challenging loop trails perfect for an effective shakedown hike.

It's a little bit of a drive for folks in the population centers of Florida but it's worth the trip. My pal Lefty and I are headed there next Monday March 3 so I can get in my second to last shakedown hike before my April 3 step off date. We are going to spend two days on the trail. If you have never been to Torreya I encourage you to check it out. If you want to join us on the trail we'd love to see you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYO3VyaiCE
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Journal Entries

I wrote that we would be there on March 3 that is not correct. Next Monday is the 7th.
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

I'm big on using what I have access to.

I've gotten significant "burns" from walking across bridges in Florida that allow pedestrian access in Tampa/St Pete, Punta Gorda/Pt Charlotte, and Fort Myers. Combining those elevation and grade changes especially with a weighted backpack in Florida's humidity and heat with soft sanded long beach walks also serves for training. Another hugely beneficial lower impact backpacking training exercise for me is to hike in about waist deep water while wearing an old weighted backpack.

Charleston South Carolina's Arthur Ravenal Jr. Bridge and a shorter span between Toms River and Seaside Heights NJ combined with soft sand beach walks and perhaps careful top of large rock jetty scrambling/hiking in Sea Girt or Barnegat Light NJ all add to the workout while developing footwork. Not all people are Skurka like athletes always in great good to go condition from the start of a long hike backpacking trip so starting out training on soft beaches and in the water is more forgiving being less of a high impact workout appreciated as one gets into physical and mental condition for a LD hike. Plus beach hikes are free, have great scenery, and exposes us to the elements, ALL assets for backpacking. Soft beach sand walks with loaded pack can be brutal but once on harder packed trail make me feel like I'm flying unencumbered.

Images

I live about 6 hrs. from there. Their website says they are booked for a while. Any thought on close camping places. Im from flat central fla. and need some hills. Starting at Springer May 1 for a 7 day shakedown.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatgrounder View Post
    I live about 6 hrs. from there. Their website says they are booked for a while. Any thought on close camping places. Im from flat central fla. and need some hills. Starting at Springer May 1 for a 7 day shakedown.
    They are talking about the conventional RV park being full. That is not unusual this time of year. The primitive sites on the loop trails are not. However, if you prefer a campground, the Triple C campground cannot be beat. It's closer to Chattahoochee and just a short drive. By the way, I haven't been to Lake Placid in years. Do you still have all the beautiful murals on the buildings down there?

Images

Thanks for the answer. No not interested at all in the RV parks.!! Yes we have about 49-50 murals and counting. I use to hunt on the paper land near Cedar Key years ago. We would go into town and have a great seafood dinner.

+1 on Torreya SP. I live about twenty miles from Torreya SP and use it before my section hikes on the AT. The park offers the closest hike we have in Florida to what you will find on the AT. The Garden of Eden Trail is a few miles south of Torreya and it also offers the same challenge. Torreya SP offers some of the same flora found in North Georgia. The Chattahoochee River along with the unusual for Florida landscape undoubtedly contributes to this. In warmer temps the mosquitoes will eat you alive so come prepared.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flatgrounder View Post
    Thanks for the answer. No not interested at all in the RV parks.!! Yes we have about 49-50 murals and counting. I use to hunt on the paper land near Cedar Key years ago. We would go into town and have a great seafood dinner.
    I just spoke to the Ranger. Next week when Lefty and I plan to go it will be spring break. Even then, he doesn't expect the hike in trail sites will be taken but he's going to call me back when he gets to the registration book.

We get a lot of hunters up this way. I gave it up 20 years ago when I moved out of Brooksville. Now I just try not to hit them on 24 coming into town. They ought to plant food plots with the grass next to the road. If you come up to Torreya when Lefty and I are there we should have stone crab claws and clams from Cedar Key. Lefty brings shrimp from St. Augustine. We do our own version "Fat Guys in the Woods" and eat real well.

Images

Thanks for the help! I hope I can get up there this weekend. I don't mind the drive, it's my friends that won't do it.

I'm about an hour east of Torreya and I can definitely vouch for the workouts it offers. Doing shakedown hikes there is a no brainer. The terrain reminds me of N Ga.
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Images

sounds like a good plan. I have two months of workouts before I leave.

Journal Entries

The Ranger called back. The primitive sites are wide open. I will be heading over to St. Augustine to pick up lefty and the across I-10 to Torreya. We won't get there until the afternoon and will set up camp in the group site behind the pavilions/parking lot. We'll set off on the trails on Tuesday morning. We're making supper at the pavilion.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis1948 View Post
    +1 on Torreya SP. I live about twenty miles from Torreya SP and use it before my section hikes on the AT. The park offers the closest hike we have in Florida to what you will find on the AT. The Garden of Eden Trail is a few miles south of Torreya and it also offers the same challenge. Torreya SP offers some of the same flora found in North Georgia. The Chattahoochee River along with the unusual for Florida landscape undoubtedly contributes to this. In warmer temps the mosquitoes will eat you alive so come prepared.
    I just got back from what can only be described as a "magnificent" three day trip to Torreya. I stopped on the way at a restaurant in Chattahoochee called "Rutabagas" The food was unbelievable. It was over the top. I made the mistake of sending a picture of my plate to my wife and she insisted I take her back there this weekend. So, I am going to turn around and drive the 3 1/2 hours back tomorrow morning just to maintain domestic tranquility and take your advice and hike the Garden of Eden Trail. Thanks for the heads up on the GOE...
    Last edited by CedarKeyHiker; 03-11-2016 at 13:27.

I totally agree. The park is excellent for training. Very challenging hikes.

++ New Posts ++