WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I too am prone to toenail problems and must keep them well trimmed and filed as suggested above. For me, I always have a high quality nail clipper with file in my kit. This is not a place to skimp on and get by without or some lesser substitute/multi-use item.

As for bandaging blisters/hot spots, try getting some Leukotape. It is amazing how well it sticks. I have put a piece of tape on a hot spot and find it is still there after a week of hiking, showers, stream crossings, etc... One of the best tricks I picked up from a you tube video was to get some sticky labels. Peel off the paper label and throw it away. Take the backing (the part you are supposed to throw away) and stick a piece of Leukotape to the shiny non-stick side). Trim off the excess paper and/or tape and you have an easy to pack and easy to use piece of Leukotape, ready to use. You can pre-cut into convenient sizes or use your scissors on your Swiss Army Knife to cut to size as needed.

Images

I have hiked over 2000 miles with the inijini toesocks. I found the performance 2s work the best, the Nuwools wore out very fast and shrank when washed. No blisters ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You can read all the Fixing Your Feet books you want but it isn't going to easily change hiking shoes that are simply too short for your growing feet or in some significant way not appropriate for your feet characteristics, situation, and activity. Been there having to slice off the toes of brand new high cost trail runners on a PCT thru-hike because I too bought shoes based on my current pre-hike shoe size not allowing for a 1/2 to size larger shoe further into the thru. Basically gave away another brand new pr of $150 Solomons because I did the same inane thing. Eh! .
    I wasn't implying that a book would fix the wrong size shoes. But having some knowledge of what to do before exposure, during and how to deal with problems if they arise is a good thing.

Try to cut on weight if you can. I actually headed into the Smokies with 2 days of food and 1 liter of water and was under 20lbs. I always took off my socks and shoes for breaks and let them see the sun if possible.
    Also elevating the feet help to, and I carried 3 pairs of socks to hep keep the feet in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by ryneoh1040 View Post
    Also, has anyone taken a GoPro on the trail and if so what was your experience? Last year my hiking partner filmed and I didn't worry about it but this year I'll be alone and think I'm going to invest in one.
    After a bit of a learning curve, you can get really great results with a GoPro. I take one battery per day (about an hour of footage), and then I bring one extra per trip, which is good for those just in case shots and that sort of thing. I also bring along a GorillaPod mini tripod. Check out the video from my trip to Washington last summer.

"Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I have hiked over 2000 miles with the inijini toesocks. I found the performance 2s work the best, the Nuwools wore out very fast and shrank when washed. No blisters ever!
    Another vote for the Injinji toe socks. I have never had a single blister since making the switch. However, I suggest going with the ones made from 100 percent Coolmax. Personally, I prefer the liners.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

So, I would say, start exercising now. Do leg exercises to strengthen ankles if you're using trail shoes with a heavy pack. Poles have research to back them up, but be careful about correct posture--I'm pretty sure (OK, 100% sure but I'm not a doctor or PT (unfortunately because PT sounds like a great job)) my ITBS was the result of an imbalance in hip and other leg muscle strength partly caused by lack of upright posture when walking with poles adjusted too short. It really sucks to have to correct muscle imbalances and worry about posture all the time. I've quit using them completely. Maybe learn a bit about running posture.

After I left my Columbia GoreTex boots at Neels Gap and picked up a pair of Montrail Sabinos (best shoe ever so obviously discontinued), the only time I've ever gotten killer blisters was with a liner sock on a gravel road walk on a very hot day. Now I just use sports socks, in my case those Andi socks from Walmart. (They're heavy though.) I like well vented trail shoes and just walk through streams most of the time unless it's really cold. Personally I think it helps, or is neutral, in terms of blisters and it does feel great to step into a stream every few miles. I always get the 2E width and my shoes are not tight, but they don't move around and rub, either.

Oh, finally, don't agree to any surgery for tendonitis until you've had PT, if it's not some damage that needs to be repaired or removed. There are also things like steroid injections to try. In my research for peroneal tendonitis, one article said it can pay to wait a year or more before considering surgery. If you know you just have an overuse injury, try to go to an orthopedist just to get physical therapy orders, instead of spending all of your AT money on x-rays, MRIs, copays, coinsurance and procedures. I was forced to refuse x-rays at least twice, to people who were not qualified to give me any medical reason for the need for x-rays to diagnose my condition. Or, just say you have to know the price up front and nobody will know what the hell to do with you and you could get away scott-free without a single procedure! They're use to just railroading everybody.

And never see a podiatrist unless its a sports practice, if there is such a thing, because those people make their living on fungus and diabetic foot care. If there are any rockstar podiatrists out there, I apologize for overgeneralizing, I've only been to 2.
    Last edited by CamelMan; 02-29-2016 at 04:50.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    After a bit of a learning curve, you can get really great results with a GoPro.
    Out of curiosity, have you compared the image stabilization with other cameras? I'm trying to find one I can run with like GingerRunner does. Sorry if I'm derailing.

Carry a foot-care kit. Bistobans, body glide, wide athletic tape for heels, tincture of benzoin solution to make tape stick well. Double layer blister proof socks or toe socks are a good idea. All this is in Fixing your Feet; required reading.

I haven't read the responses but YES larger shoes! good Socks and good Duct tape. if you start to feel a hot spot or even before put duct tape on. I have nerve issues and my feet and legs go numb so i do a few things (since I often will not feel blisters coming on) one I remove my shoes often to take a look at my feet... I let them get some air and rest just like the rest of me when I take a break) I also put duct take on the areas that tend to get blisters... since i started doing that i have NOT gotten 1 blister. before I started to do that I would get such huge blisters that people I was with cry for me (they would be VERY DEEP and large) I also use to lose toenails often, the larger shoes and good socks helped with that, good luck!

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Consider starting with a pair of well-fitting trail runners from the clearance rack. Treat any and all hotspots with duct tape as soon as you feel them (yes, stop, drop your pack and treat your feet.) This will prevent blistering. This technique should get you to Franklin, NC. There, you can be fitted properly at Outdoor 76, where they will change your hike and attitude toward footwear.

Of course, get that pack weight down to 35lbs MAX. It would help to get your feet ready pre-hike by barefoot walking / jogging where possible (I ran on the beaches of FL as I lived there.)

Another thing to try is tanning (dehydrating) your feet:

http://www.superfoodsrx.com/healthyliving/sweaty-feet-cure/#

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++