WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: My 6 lb mansion

Default My 6 lb mansion

Storm mode.jpg

Tarp Shelter.jpg

Finally got a chance to set up my new shelter , the 10x13 Aquaquest King Kamo Tarp paired with Kijaro Bug net . This is going to be my shelter for a more stationary (base) camp setup . I wanted something roomy and durable and sacrificed weight to get it haha . The tarp weighs in at 5 lbs, and the bug net at 1 lb, when I add ropes , groundsheet, and heavier duty stakes it might end up at 7lbs overall but its all good , after my thru hike I'm finished trying to go fast and log big miles. Anyway I just wanted to share this for whoever might be interested , I'm pretty psyched to get it all finished and streamined a bit and spend a night or two in this thing.

Nicely done...my mansion for base camp is around 10lbs! It technically sleeps 6, but it's awesome for a cot and bedroll for me, two dogs and some carpet (to protect the floor from doggie claws).

Images

What is the plan for storms that have variable wind directions. Seems like you will get soaked from either end unless there's a hidden bit of end protection.

haven't quite gotten that far yet ,I need a good storm pitch for this bad boy suggestions are welcome haha. I'll probably lower the ridgeline and try folding the sides in as much as possible .

Have you considered a Warbonnet Super Fly? it's 1# 3 oz and has doors.

Images

I likely would have started with a mid design and scaled up to condo sizing. The advantage of a mid is 360 deg rain protection, lower wind profile and lower weight. I suspect you will find that the sides collapse into the tent when configured like the bottom picture in any wind. The shelter is literally a sail (I am guessing at least 32 sft.) and I suspect you will have some redesign to do. (Your timeouts are going to have to be really strong. As far as end rain protection, i believe you will have to do a combination of longer tarp AND a solid waterproof end. That is a tall height to try protecting and you would need a REALLY long tarp, like a total of 15-20' to get rain protection from even a 45 deg rain coming from either end.

Here is a couple photos of a conceptually similar shelter, tarp and net inner, though I was looking for the smallest functional space not a palace. The inner can also be set up separately for open views in buggy non-rainy weather.

image.jpg
    With tarp and inner.

image.jpg
    inner only

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I likely would have started with a mid design and scaled up to condo sizing. The advantage of a mid is 360 deg rain protection, lower wind profile and lower weight. I suspect you will find that the sides collapse into the tent when configured like the bottom picture in any wind. The shelter is literally a sail (I am guessing at least 32 sft.) and I suspect you will have some redesign to do. (Your timeouts are going to have to be really strong. As far as end rain protection, i believe you will have to do a combination of longer tarp AND a solid waterproof end. That is a tall height to try protecting and you would need a REALLY long tarp, like a total of 15-20' to get rain protection from even a 45 deg rain coming from either end.

Here is a couple photos of a conceptually similar shelter, tarp and net inner, though I was looking for the smallest functional space not a palace. The inner can also be set up separately for open views in buggy non-rainy weather.

image.jpg
    With tarp and inner.

image.jpg
    inner only
    Who makes the inner bug net? TIA!

106_1584.JPG
    This works nicely for directional storms, its a tent, and weighs 4 lbs lol

IMG_2332.JPG
    Tarptent - Storm proof as well
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 02-27-2016 at 11:31.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Who makes the inner bug net? TIA!
    i made both.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    i made both.
    Thought you might say that...looks good.

too cool right on

Gambit knows the Art of Surviving in Style with his red Hilleberg. I also consider mine to be my 8 lb Mansion---
    TRIP 172 338-XL.jpg

But for basecamp camping here is the real Mansion, and only at 75 lbs including all stakes and guylines etc---

Cabelas Xtreme Weather Tent set up on Chickasaw Creek in Monroe County, TN.

++ New Posts ++