WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just Curious ?

OMG! Now I'M going to "disappear for ever" too. Perhaps you are referring to the Biblical catching away? You were asked for references for your "no doubt cause long term injury" statements. All I see is more opinion spewing without references. There are guidelines for the amount a dog pack should weigh. Prudent folks pack less than the guidelines or go with no pack at all, choosing to pack the dog food themselves.

For many dog owners the hike isn't the paramount objective. Not all mind you, a few folks are cruel enough to abandon a dog that can't keep up and I can't say enough about what kind of person they truly are (Proverbs 12:10: "A righteous man regards the life of his animal: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.") They will face their judgement.

Time spent in the back country is more important than ticking off mileposts. Personally, I will enjoy the miles we cover together, even if that means leaving early for my dog's best interest. She is far more important to me than ticking off a frigging long distance trail. I've spent decades covering trail miles in MT and WY wildernesses, the miles and country are secondary to the time I've spent in the company of my border collies.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak319 View Post
    OldTrailDog - thanks for the idea! just ordered one. hopefully arlo will be happy to sleep in it!
    Frankly, after spending a number of nights trying to make a hammock system work, I have decided that I will be taking a tent. Call it Occam's razor (the simplest answer is often the best). Having my dog in a tent gets both of us out of the bugs and elements the most effective, the lightest, the easiest, and the fastest way to set up and break down camp. I've truly wanted to go with a hammock, but decided to keep it simple and light, and thus, increase the probability of successfully completing the hike. I have actually come to this conclusion several times over the winter of experimentation, and finally have accepted what we should do, even if that means less personal comfort for me. My hammock system will still be here at home for us to enjoy on shorter trips in the mountains around here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by left52side View Post
    Hi there,I have a two year old bull terrier(red-nose pit) and we are going to do a through hike next year 2017 starting in springer in march sometime.
    My question or what im curious about as you can imagine him being a pit bull has tons of energy and muscle,my question would be what everyone thinks on physical ability for a dog and there weight limits etc. he is 53 lbs now . he will be just three years old at time of out thru hike to begin.
    I am in early planning for his/mine food drops along the way and etc.
    I am planning on using a quilt type bag for sleeping seeing on how he sleeps right next to me anyway,but am curious if I should pack his own blanket or jacket for him,
    thought are appeciated,
    thank you and awesome forum.
    Energy and ability to do the hike will most likely not be an issue. Your dog is young enough that he would probably have energy after arriving in camp. I would suggest doing the usual training to get him used to longer hikes, as well as to see if he likes hiking days in a row. I present that idea because I have two dogs (sisters) and one will hike to the moon and back and enjoy every moment. Her sister enjoys day hiking a few days in a row and then she is ready to go home. Both have the same ability, they just don't have the same drive.

I would keep your vet in the loop because they often have helpful tips, solutions, etc. They might even have samples of different foods for your dog to try. If you are planning on switching food, this is best done at home just in case he has any issues.

Is your dog currently used to wearing a pack? If not, when you do get one, watch for any rub spots with the pack and straps. They are easily solved with some fake sheepskin, or other soft material. The key is to catching the rub spots before they become an issue on the trail. Like all packs it is just as important for your dog to have a pack that works for him and carries the weight well.

Definitely pack a blanket for him - He will hog yours on the cold nights if you don't! There are some really cold nights to be had on the trail. Some of the warmer days can become cold if relentless rain is involved.

Is your pooch used to rocks? There are some mean rocks in the northern section of the trail and they can tear up paw pads. Musher's Wax is a good tool, toughening your pooch's feet pre-hike, and maybe boots if your dog will wear them. My pooches refuse to wear their boots. It just means taking extra time to check paw pads and make sure everything is happy and healthy.

There are some awesome mail drop and resupply lists out there.

Most of all - Good luck and have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++