WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I was planning on hiking way back in my college days (I'm now 61) Life just sort of 'got in the way' and it never happened. Fast forward 23 + years, and my younger daughter hiked the beginning miles while on spring break in high school. The bug came back . Now, we have just been through a year that can be called nothing but tragic. I did my second (short) section early last fall (GSMNP). I've realized that if I want to do the whole trail, I'll have to mount a serious thru attempt. I may not have ten years of Section Hiking available to me. So I will set off in 2017, and turn 63 on the AT

To all the 50+ thru-hikers this year, I wish happy trails. From my prospective (I was 58 on my thru-hike), I'd recommend the following for prospective thru-hikers: 1) try to get in good shape (cardio, strength, 'hiking') before you start; 2) make a concerted effort to lighten your pack load; and, 3) don't stop unless something ends up in a cast or there is a family emergency that requires you to terminate your attempt.

That being said, I saw some out of shape people that started w/ monster packs finish (they did pare things - and themselves - down along the way). I saw fit, uber-light people that didn't.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

My thru hike started just after graduation in 1975. It only lasted 4 days. Retired in 2012, so second attempt was in 2013. Lasted 100 miles before my back gave out. Now I am 65, and by golly, I'm going to complete it this time!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    To all the 50+ thru-hikers this year, I wish happy trails. From my prospective (I was 58 on my thru-hike), I'd recommend the following for prospective thru-hikers: 1) try to get in good shape (cardio, strength, 'hiking') before you start; 2) make a concerted effort to lighten your pack load; and, 3) don't stop unless something ends up in a cast or there is a family emergency that requires you to terminate your attempt.

That being said, I saw some out of shape people that started w/ monster packs finish (they did pare things - and themselves - down along the way). I saw fit, uber-light people that didn't.
    Thank you Carl; I've been fretting over my planned thruhike attempt in '17 wondering if my age and weight related infirmities might cause me to fail. I'm 65 and am actively trying to not only dump weight, but strengthen my body, especially the lower body and core. Your observations, above, give me a renewed optimism and I think I'll "fret" less.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    Thank you Carl; I've been fretting over my planned thruhike attempt in '17 wondering if my age and weight related infirmities might cause me to fail. I'm 65 and am actively trying to not only dump weight, but strengthen my body, especially the lower body and core. Your observations, above, give me a renewed optimism and I think I'll "fret" less.
    I sent Carl a private message thanking him for his encouraging post. Thank you for doing it publicly. Young or old we all have challenges we have to overcome. I can't imagine too many people who plan to hike the AT don't have some level of insecurity. I know I do. I take great comfort in the encouraging words of those who have made the commitment and gone before me. I'm also lifted up by the others who share my apprehension and still plan to take the plunge. Good luck on your adventure in 2017!!!
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Quote Originally Posted by CedarKeyHiker View Post
    I sent Carl a private message thanking him for his encouraging post. Thank you for doing it publicly. Young or old we all have challenges we have to overcome. I can't imagine too many people who plan to hike the AT don't have some level of insecurity. I know I do. I take great comfort in the encouraging words of those who have made the commitment and gone before me. I'm also lifted up by the others who share my apprehension and still plan to take the plunge. Good luck on your adventure in 2017!!!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Usually, the over-50 thru-hikers have more financial resources than the younger hikers. That is an advantage. When I got tired of the dealing w/ the elements, I'd find a hostel or motel (hopefully an inexpensive one) in the next town. As a result, I spent 63 nights on the AT sleeping indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    You can do it. I've seen hikers your age & older make it in 2013. The more prepared you are for the hike, the 'luckier' you'll be. Happy trails.

Because I can.

Hey Bruce if you're looking for some support my wife and I live near the Bruce trail in Niagara shoot us an email
    Cheers Stuart

The window of opportunity opened and I felt if I didn't jump it may not come again. Ideally, I'd love to make it all the way. Realistically, I will take it step by step, day by day, etc. If I get to Kathadin, great. I just want to be happy with my accomplishment.
    So many have told me I can't do it or shouldn't do it that it only makes me want to do it more.
    I am so very excited to start my adventure!

Started the AT the day after graduating High School in 1974. Hiked north from HF to ME, turned 18 on the trail.
    Finished the trail in Oct 2014 at age 58.
    Trail name: "Forty Year Plan"

For me, it is a life long dream since i was about 9 years old. That was when my grandfather and i did a short hike from rout 80 in NJ, to Sunfish pond, that ended at the ''Old Coppermine Inn''.

Since then its always been on my mind. I have hiked almost all of NJ over the years. as well as West VA, about 50 miles in VA, about 100 miles in PA, and maybe 50 miles in NY But now that the body is telling me it may be at the beginning of the end, i have revisited the prospect of starting the section hike process next year, picking a state every year and just doing it.

The main reason is that i just like being in the woods, people laugh when I come back from a hunting trip empty handed and explain to them i am very content walking around the woods, staring at trees, rocks, moss, streams, and wildlife. sometimes i think its where i truly belong.

RUNT ''13''

I have hiked Conn. sections with my hiking club but always felt I didn't see much as we had to finish by a certain time.
    This year I decided to hike all of Conn. by my self. (Over 60). I plan on more sections while I'm still in good health.

I completed the AT at 70. I never thought my motivation was different from anyone else's. In the interviews I did with the local papers I asked them not to mention my age because that was not what it was about. One advantage though, as someone mentioned, was having more money so I was able to do the whole thing without camping. That did preserve my back by not having to carry a heavy pack.

Journal Entries

I'm not young, but I'll never be any younger than I am now. The last thing I want is for retirement to greet me with artificial joints and one of those daily pill organizers. I want to be one of those seniors who is fit, active, sharp, still learning and engaged. Backpacking is an activity I enjoy, and it helps me to develop and maintain physical strength.

But why the AT? I don't know exactly. We just finished a long weekend section, and I'm feeling worn out and beat up. But I know that after a little rest, I'll be eager for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartCairnie View Post
    Hey Bruce if you're looking for some support my wife and I live near the Bruce trail in Niagara shoot us an email
    Cheers Stuart
    Trail magic!

Bruce Traillium

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
    I completed the AT at 70. I never thought my motivation was different from anyone else's. In the interviews I did with the local papers I asked them not to mention my age because that was not what it was about. One advantage though, as someone mentioned, was having more money so I was able to do the whole thing without camping. That did preserve my back by not having to carry a heavy pack.
    I understand your reluctance to share your age but there is a fascination with people who defy convention. You have to admit it is rare a 70 year old hikes the AT. I can only imagine your other accomplishments in life. One of my obsessions is why someone, at any age, would choose to leave the comforts provided in the 21st century and choose to be uncomfortable for any amount of time. Such as walking on the AT. My theory is it's been bred in us by our fore bearers. We're the sons and daughters of risk takers. You are a Mainer your heritage is one of strength and courage. Mine as a Floridian is one of insufferable heat, mosquitoes, alligators, and having to deal with snowbirds. Anyway, all seriousness aside, I admire your Yankee self. If you should ever pass this way you are more the welcome to sit a spell on my front porch, and enjoy a glass of sweet tea, with or without a shot of whiskey. If you choose to bide a while we'll rustle up a mess of mullet and grits and have a grand time...
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Images

My first thru attempt was in 2015. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done but, the satisfaction I felt at the end of each day plus the people I met are what made it so special. I'm heading out again this year for a 2nd attempt. I will be 70 this year. Not sure what motivates me, it just seems like the right thing to do.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries

When you have a bucket list and you are my age or older, you want to get r' done before something else either falls off, rusts up or just quits working!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    When you have a bucket list and you are my age or older, you want to get r' done before something else either falls off, rusts up or just quits working!!
    Some of the replies here are insightful. Some are introspective. Some like kibs are funny and made me laugh out loud. All of them are appreciated. The one answer we didn't hear was that someone saw a movie and it compelled them to spend a ton of money, take a bunch of time, and as more than one reply intimated, "do the most difficult thing" a person can volunteer to do. I've read that when the book came out there was a boost in people who started out from Springer Mountain. I am not aware of the statistics on finishers that year. Personally, I read the book after I saw the movie and saw the movie after I had decided to hike the Trail. I guess time will tell how much influence Robert Redford and Nick Nolte will have. Clearly, if you use the small sampling of people who have replied to this thread as a barometer, it takes a deeper, more thought out commitment.

Without starting diatribe against the movie or the author of the book; does anyone have an opinion on, or prediction for the affect of the movie?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++