WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CedarKeyHiker View Post
    Some of the replies here are insightful. Some are introspective. Some like kibs are funny and made me laugh out loud. All of them are appreciated. The one answer we didn't hear was that someone saw a movie and it compelled them to spend a ton of money, take a bunch of time, and as more than one reply intimated, "do the most difficult thing" a person can volunteer to do. I've read that when the book came out there was a boost in people who started out from Springer Mountain. I am not aware of the statistics on finishers that year. Personally, I read the book after I saw the movie and saw the movie after I had decided to hike the Trail. I guess time will tell how much influence Robert Redford and Nick Nolte will have. Clearly, if you use the small sampling of people who have replied to this thread as a barometer, it takes a deeper, more thought out commitment.

Without starting diatribe against the movie or the author of the book; does anyone have an opinion on, or prediction for the affect of the movie?
    I was more influenced by reading Dove by Robin Graham when I was a kid. Later in life, I'm just too jaded and critical of movies to be moved deeply by them. I tend to smirk at crucial scenes an think about how the director is clumsily trying to tug on my heart strings. One movie in a thousand will impress me, and this movie wasn't that one.

But... maybe it will make an impression on some kid, who will grow up to appreciate nature all the more.

Had to laugh, but it is a fact that no one mentioned the book or movie as a factor! I think it is because in the book, Bryson admits he quits on the thru-hike but to his credit he does become a section hiker. Nothing wrong with that and I appreciated his background information for the trail and his humorous take on things. The fact that he didn't "thru hike" it makes me want to even more. It also caused other books (such as Awol's) to have a greater impact on helping my preparation. As far as the movie is concerned, that seemed to be more about the relationship between two people (would say friends but it was an odd friendship to start), than it was about actual hiking.

I don't know why, I just have a feeling that the number of hikers was on the increase with or without a movie or movies. Don't know why, I just feel people are looking for a more minimalist experience or challange that is counter to the comforts and current technological materialism engrained in our lives. Yet few are leaving their cell phones at home! Thankful for Airplane Mode! Lol
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries
    Images

Because I could.

Greetings, Just about to turn 62 and this summer I plan on doing some 4 to 5 day section hikes and I hope finish the Maine section of the AT. (I have done the 100-mile wilderness twice in mid 1970's so will likely skip this part and do some AT in New Hampshire.) In my 20's I did extended hiking all over the country and did a week long trip each summer. In early 30's I got settled with house, job and kids so got into a sedentary hobby. Now with the kids gone, house paid for, and only several years to retirement I am drawn back to the mountains and solitude. Another big reason is health: I need to lose 20 to 30 pounds and become stronger. My spouse had more than once asked me to throw away all my hikin gear but I could not do it. This winter I have had a good time cleaning all my old gear. The sleeping bags are in fine shape, my 30 year old boots are amazingly in great condition. The tents and packs needed new urethane coatings applied after the old urethane was pealing and smelling. The recent movies had no influence on my interest to get back on the trails. Not till after I was interested did I sek them out and rent them.

I did a Thru hike back in 1978, one of the best things that I ever did. That experience gave me a positive and confident opinion of myself. The only negative about the whole thing is that long distance hiking is addictive. I often dream and plan new adventues every winter. I guess that is not really a negative. Currently I am still working, but I am section hiking south. I have done three sections so far, ending at the water gap last summer. I will start there in June and do three weeks, ending in Virginia. I retire next year and the goal will be to complete the trail southbound 40 years after the first hike. Back to your origional question of why, because I enjoy it and it is all down hill going south.

For the adventure and to do things I haven't done before, and to conqure a fear or two. Sleep out in the middle of know where with nothing between me and the evils of the woods was a huge deal !
    The main reason is though, is that I got to take my oldest son along for a few hikes, and this summer am taking my youngest on his first hike-it was very cool to see him away from his high speed world and appreciate the beauty of the woods!

I've been unemployed for two years looking for a new opportunity in the software area. I'm sick and tired of the "you're over-qualified" rejection. If you've ever been in transition, you know how emotionally taxing the job search can be. Enough is enough. With the blessing of my wife I'm hoping to head out for a thru hike very soon.

I hiked when I was younger but like others who have contributed here, real life took available time away. So for me, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to return to the woods. I'll still need to find some job when I return but I'm hoping the experiences on the trail, the interaction with others broadens my perspectives further and restores some vibrancy and emotional well-being.

Safe travels to all.

Twenty years ago, I interviewed a kid for an IT job. All he talked about was his hike of the Appalachian Trail. He didn't get the job (no IT experience). Nevertheless, his enthusiasm stuck with me all these years.

I sold my IT Company in 2015 and retired. Being a sailor for over 40 years, I took off on several sailing adventures in 2015 including a sailboat delivery from Virginia to the British Virgin Islands, which took the boat through Tropical Storm Kate and a month sailing through the Bahamas on another boat.

So here I am today, been there, done that and looking for something new. Then I saw “A Walk in the Woods.” Need I say more? I have always stayed in fairly decent shape and for a guy in his mid-60’s, I can usually keep up with those ten or twenty years younger. Consequently, I am looking to do a short section hike to see what it is all about. My goal is Georgia and maybe part or all of North Carolina.

I have been doing research for the last two weeks, but I’m not sure I can get ready in time. I would like to leave sometime mid to the end of April. The one aspect of such an adventure is to see how it compares to long distance sailing.

By the way, if there is anyone who would be willing to mentor me on the trail for at least a week to get me up to speed, I would be eternally grateful.

Journal Entries

Short answer: Because I'm not getting any younger

tl;dr version: I have wanted to through-hike the AT for over 40 years. My first hike on the AT was in 1972, with borrowed, inadequate gear. It was in January and it rained the whole week. I was miserable. I didn't get the feeling back in my toes for 2 months. By spring, I couldn't wait to go again.

My father did it when he was a year younger than I am now, and I did a few sections with him then. Now I want to do my own hike in his memory.

The time is now because I still have my mobility and mind and not too many physical problems. All around me, I see relatives and friends developing health problems as they age, and many can no longer do the things they want to do. I feel a sense to time pressure to do the things on my bucket list before the inevitable happens to me, too.

I want to do it because I like being in nature, and taking long-distance walks, and testing myself. When I was on the Via Podiensis in France, I asked a Swiss hiking partner why she was hiking, and she said, "Pour l'aventure !" That's me, too.

Journal Entries

The general consensus seems to be that the movie has had no affect on this group to hike any portion of the Trail. My unscientific, sorely lacking data, and possibly short-sighted opinion is there has to be another reason for an increase in AT hikers this year. We were the target audience. When I saw the movie it was very mature crowd. If the numbers go up considerably because of it every forth or fifth person you see in pictures from the Trail this will have an abundance of gray hair and character lines on their face.
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Journal Entries

*(this) year
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Quote Originally Posted by CedarKeyHiker View Post
    I understand your reluctance to share your age but there is a fascination with people who defy convention. You have to admit it is rare a 70 year old hikes the AT. I can only imagine your other accomplishments in life. One of my obsessions is why someone, at any age, would choose to leave the comforts provided in the 21st century and choose to be uncomfortable for any amount of time. Such as walking on the AT. My theory is it's been bred in us by our fore bearers. We're the sons and daughters of risk takers. You are a Mainer your heritage is one of strength and courage. Mine as a Floridian is one of insufferable heat, mosquitoes, alligators, and having to deal with snowbirds. Anyway, all seriousness aside, I admire your Yankee self. If you should ever pass this way you are more the welcome to sit a spell on my front porch, and enjoy a glass of sweet tea, with or without a shot of whiskey. If you choose to bide a while we'll rustle up a mess of mullet and grits and have a grand time...
    CedarKeyHiker, thanks for your thoughtful reply. My courage as a Mainer is suspect because I am here in Key West to get away from that damn snow and ice. I love walking on this flat terrain. As a matter of fact, we may be stopping in Cedar Key on our way north in April. If it comes to pass, I will look you up. Yes, with the whiskey. Cheers.

I will be 75 in June, so most of the sand in my hourglass is on the bottom. Been hiking since I was 9. It is a love, a passion and a desire to see what's over the next hill. I have had a quad bypass and cancer. Not bragging, just letting some other old timers know that you can overcome most obstacles. I section hike and am planning to do Fox Creek to Pearisburg in late April

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
    CedarKeyHiker, thanks for your thoughtful reply. My courage as a Mainer is suspect because I am here in Key West to get away from that damn snow and ice. I love walking on this flat terrain. As a matter of fact, we may be stopping in Cedar Key on our way north in April. If it comes to pass, I will look you up. Yes, with the whiskey. Cheers.
    I am going to be on the Trail in April I will miss your visit. However, do yourself a favor and discover Cedar Key. It is definitely a hidden gem. We don't share that fact with too many people. We keep this place pretty quiet. There are only a few places like it left in Florida. Don't get me wrong Key West is a nice place. We lived down there almost three years. Cedar Key is what that was 75 years ago before the cruise ships and the tacky tee shirt shops.
    I am sorry I am going to miss you. Enjoy your time down there. If you get a chance go to El Siboney. It's at Margaret St and Catherine Ave and have some great Cuban food. We use to eat there at least once a week.

I turned 70 last September and consider myself very fortunate that I'm still am healthy enough to hike, especially when I look around me and see that most folks my age suffer from a malady that would prevent them from hiking.
    Two years ago, after thru hiking the Long Trail in Vermont, I committed to hiking the AT in four annual sections. This year will be my third, from Harpers Ferry to Killington Vermont, 677 miles. Hopefully I'll finish next year.

I'm 55 and just retired. I decided to hike the AT several years ago and then read "A Walk in the Woods". The book is even better than the movie. Saw "Wild" but did not read the book. I do think that both of these books will have an effect on the numbers on the trail, but only time will tell. My reasons for hiking echo so many of the posts. I'm less than 2 weeks from my start date and waiting is the hardest part.

Retired for 3 years turning, 63 this month, start the PCT next month.

Most of the posts have echoes of my own motivations. My family finally have themselves on solid footing. As with many posts here, logistically there have been some challenges. Hopefully those remain at bay while I'm hiking but it's been a bit of a strain to work around various issues to free myself up for the full 5 months. My wife is supportive in my desire, but says this project is "daft". She's supported my previous daft adventures of various sorts too, including months in Brazil, taking up MMA at 55, and more. I suspended more injury prone activities until after my return. Now it's yoga, cycling, multiple jogs, or day hikes, 6 days per week. My wife's desire for a cycling tour of southern France can wait til next year.

I seek new challenges, new adventures. Carpe diem.

I turned 50 this summer and reflected on my life and what I would like to do to "celebrate." I really liked the idea of an adventure that would be a daily challenge too. I am attracted to things that make me stick to a hard task. I don't want to buy a sports car or go on a cruise. I want to unplug from life for a while and reflect on my future. I'm an IT consultant so I think I can take this time off and get a new gig upon my return. I have a wife and 11-year-old son so I choose not to leave them for the time it would take to do a thu-hike. So what works for me is a start at A-Falls and walk for 3-4 weeks. I look forward to some self-reflection, but I also look forward the camaraderie of meeting people where I overnight. Since it's been 35 years since I've backpacked, and I love gear and gadgets, I've had a great time learning about how to travel safely and lightweight. I can look at gear online for hours! I hope to meet you on the trail!

I hike because it's healthy, it clears my mind, and satisfies my craving for mild adventures. I like the idea of covering sizeable distances by foot, camping in the woods (most of the time) and town stops as needed for rest, relaxation or resupply.

No major AT plans (as yet) for this year, but a hundred-mile section is certainly a possibility. I only have to decide, which section... I haven't hiked south of Pearisburg for eons, so there's a part of me itching to do that.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Tampa View Post
    I turned 50 this summer and reflected on my life and what I would like to do to "celebrate." I really liked the idea of an adventure that would be a daily challenge too. I am attracted to things that make me stick to a hard task. I don't want to buy a sports car or go on a cruise. I want to unplug from life for a while and reflect on my future. I'm an IT consultant so I think I can take this time off and get a new gig upon my return. I have a wife and 11-year-old son so I choose not to leave them for the time it would take to do a thu-hike. So what works for me is a start at A-Falls and walk for 3-4 weeks. I look forward to some self-reflection, but I also look forward the camaraderie of meeting people where I overnight. Since it's been 35 years since I've backpacked, and I love gear and gadgets, I've had a great time learning about how to travel safely and lightweight. I can look at gear online for hours! I hope to meet you on the trail!
    Your plan sounds well thought out. Good luck on your adventure and congratulations on making it half way to a hundred. Be safe...We'll look for you out there, and don't forget to bring the Cuban sandwiches, deviled crabs, and cafe con leche from anywhere in Tampa...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++