WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries

This will be my second thru hike. The first was NOBO in 1990, the year I turned 30, and it made a huge difference in my life. I changed careers, and became much happier. I am retiring in April, and will be doing a modified SOBO (Hiking from Harper's Ferry south April - June due to family commitments, then heading for Katahdin). I am retiring at 55 so that I am young enough to do all the hiking I want. 5 years ago I had throat cancer - I cancer free now, but the experience reminded me that we do not have any guarantees in life, and you need to go for it while you can.

Bluebird

I'll be hiking a big section starting in GA starting late--August. Why? I will be 71 and maybe running out of time.

You search out my path and my lying down
    and are acquainted with all my ways. Psalm 139

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grizhicks View Post
    CedarKeyHiker -- I think one of the key words from you post is "retired"; as we get further along in out careers is harder to find the time to do the hike. I would say that most (not all, but most) have to wait until retirement, and hope that their health is good enough. I plan on retiring in Feb of '18, and starting the trail in April (will be 65).

Best of luck in your adventure, and keep us posted. -- Greg/Grizhicks
    Griz - You've got it about careers. I've been offered opportunities that I really didn't want at this point in my career. Some weeks on Monday I'm already thinking of the weekend hike. I plan on retiring Jan18 and starting Apr18. Until then I'm knocking off short and long hikes here in PA and, WV in April. Tomorrow is to a small detached tract of a state forest, just to recon it for future longer hikes, and to get another night under nylon.

I could get philosophical about communing with nature, but like others have said it's a return to some former challenges ... mostly it's just not the office.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    Woods and mountains feel like home to me...I have done many long sections but have to wait a few years before I can to my thru (flip-flop actually) because I want to get my black belt without a long break in training. The peace of nature keeps me coming back year after year!!
    I can relate. Black belt training is a commitment that takes priority. I earned my 2nd degree last fall at age 51.

This year I am planning on my longest section hike to date. Katahdin to Gorham, NH. I cannot take the time needed for a full thru yet. But as others have said there are no guarantees one will be healthy enough after retirement. So I need to do some significant hiking adventure. Bucket list needs attention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will get my black belt at 63, the same time as both my grandchildren, we are timing it so we will be in the same graduating class...one will be 12 and the other will be 9. They hike with me a good deal of time too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CedarKeyHiker View Post
    I am interested in hearing from others who are in the over 50 age group who are committed to thru-hiking or doing a long section hike on the AT in 2016. What's your motivation for taking all the time, money, and effort required for such an undertaking? I'll start it off.

I chose to hike at this time because it is a good time for it. The kids are grown and doing well. My wife supports me in this and encourages me daily. I do feel like the window of opportunity begins to narrow as time goes by and there is no good excuse not to seize the moment. I just turned 58, I'm retired, and my health is good. I want to see and experience sights and challenges that I otherwise would miss living at sea level. I want to hear the stories of all sorts of extraordinary people that I would never had met. I want to push myself to achieve a lofty goal. That's my motivation. How about you?
    I'm 57. I'll be 61 at the minimum, possibly older) when I do my first thru-hike. I am waiting for a few reasons, among the seeing my child through college; getting in proper shape that more than a week hike requires; saving the money to do this; raising funds for to certain NGOs that are dedicated to protecting a certain mammal group. My thru-hike will be a fundraiser to fund a scholarship for a witness to give up to six months dedicated to this issue. (The witnesses are not paid, and have to make their own way.)

I love nature and I love beauty. Biking and walking are my favorite physical activities. Like you, I live by sea, however, I am not a strong swimmer, although I love the ocean. I want to be where beauty is, and to me that's the ocean or the mountains/forests.

I'm not doing it as a challenge for myself, although I certainly will be challenged!

People do tend to think of that "window of opportunity" as one ages, although I am told that acceptance comes easier once one is in his/her sixties. I'm not retired and probably never will be able to do so, but since I am in an academic/creative field, I don't think I'd want to make retirement official. I'll keep on until my body or brain or both gives out.

I was 56, because Can....

I will get my black belt at 63, the same time as both my grandchildren, we are timing it so we will be in the same graduating class...one will be 12 and the other will be 9. They hike with me a good deal of time too.

That is fantastic! That will be a great bond the 3 of you will share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bet...they each have their own hammocks too!!

You bet...they each have their own hammocks too!!

well that's good, then you guys don't have to worry about kicking each other in your sleep.

But seriously, that's great, good for you's guys.

Journal Entries

These are great replies. Thank you all so much for your honest and heartfelt responses. Clearly, none of you are content to spend your later years watching life pass you by. Best wishes to all of you!!!
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Garlic
    Images

What I appreciated as an older thru-hiker was being able to apply a lifetime of experience to the challenges of a thru-hike. Though I made my first thru-hike (PCT) at the young age of 48 (I was 52 when I hiked the AT), it seemed like the culmination of everything I'd learned so far, on successively longer adventures. And then, paradoxically, I pretty much threw all that away and learned a whole different style of travel. As an example, by the end of the PCT I no longer carried a stove. I did not see that one coming when I started. By the time I finished the AT, hills no longer mattered, neither did rain, and my pack, a flimsy little silnylon thing, weighed less than eight pounds because I just kept getting rid of things I didn't need any more.

Those lessons applied to life in general, as well. I came home with much less baggage. I was a lieutenant on a volunteer fire department when left, and on my return the chief promoted me to captain. He said he saw a change, and he wanted me to be the guy standing in the driveway.

Good luck to everyone out there, and planning to get out there.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

It recharges me and I just plain love being outdoors.

My first backpacking trip was over 50 years ago. Between running and hiking I have been hooked on foot travel ever since. Retirement has now given me the time and finances to have a go at a thru hike. Living in the West for the last 40 years, the AT gives me a chance to see the mountains and woods I hiked when young. I alternate between ready to go and thinking what have I got myself into! My family is very supportive of my undertaking, that makes this easier. I will hike up Springer age 65 and and start the next day at 66. But I'm only that old when I look in the mirror!

I know the OP was asking about thru's for 2016; but now that the thread has shifted a little, I will bite! Lol. For me, it is a return to my youth and giving back to me. "Back in the day" we played outside and vacationed at campgrounds. Bike riding and canoe floats where common summer activities. But then came high school sports and college for the future. Next came marraige and children and life became more about those I loved, rather than myself. Slowly "playing outside" i.e. Backpacking became once every month, to once every three, to once a year to once a decade (if I was lucky). No regrets, life with the family was good! I did what the family enjoyed and the family never caught the passion to the degree I had, for playing outdoors.

Now the career is coming to an end, children are graduating from college and moving on and I am returning to my youth and starting to give back to me. I am day hiking for my health, and am in better shape than 10 years ago even though I am older. I am researching new items to replace old outdated (and usually heavy) gear. I am gear testing the items once a year, then once every six months and now I get to overnight at least once every three months without sacrificing time with others. I love the time with myself! My wife is 100% in because she see the change and the light created in me by just the hope of a Thru Hike.

To quote the movie Pretty Woman - "Everybody got a dream - What's your dream?". Like Griz, mine is to retire and hike the AT in 2018 or 2019. To me it is a transitional period in life and a time where I can give to myself and not feel that I am cheating on giving to those I love. Like any Dream, it is adding to the fullness of my current life.

For now I can only imagine the beauty, the challange, the up's and the down's, the people on the trail, and the lessons of an actual thru hike. But life itself is the journey and an AT Thru Hike is just one section of it.

I really appreciate this thread and Whiteblaze because it enriches my Life's Journey.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries

"gbolt" In the deeper sense your post sums it up for me too. Brother, I am really enjoying playing outside again. I am glad you "drifted" off and joined in. One thing I failed to mention in my original post was how much this upcoming journey has lifted me and my light is glowing as brightly as ever. Retirement was not an easy transition for me. Let's just say I went from 160 mph to 10 mph overnight and it wasn't without some stress. From that perspective, you are doing yourself a good thing by preparing for that day when you are no longer "in the game." Being good to yourself will not only benefit you but it will benefit the others around you. Good luck and best wishes to you on your future plans. Thanks again for your contribution.
    "Son, your level of competence is directly proportional to your mistakes, but don't hit that car coming" - My Dad while teaching me to drive

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I guess I'm not very deep... I just like hiking, so I do.

Images

At 54 (2010) finished GA - WVA 1,010 Miles. . Just had to do it after being dead in the OR in 2008. A most notable accomplishment in my life. I never plan to finish, I got what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I guess I'm not very deep... I just like hiking, so I do.
    Sorry to say that your simple response... Is very deep in and of itself! Rofl.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 8 months ago. Low-grade, non-invasive. I'm 65, retired, in good shape, actively involved in (too?) many things.
    My very supportive wonderful wife of over forty years suggested that I should knock off one of my long-held goals of a solo wilderness trip. This has morphed into a thru-hike of our local Bruce Trail here in Southern Ontario.
    So in early May I'll be starting at Niagara Falls and backpacking a biblical forty days and forty nights, ending nearly 900 km north at Tobermory at the northern tip of the Niagara Escarpment.
    So why? Because now is when I'm still fully capable. Because I've long wanted to spend time alone — though I'm noticeably more social and less introspective as I've matured. Because as a botanist and general naturalist, I've wanted to trace Spring northward as it develops. Because I will be fully immersed in my local natural world beyond any previous depth, even though I taught outdoors for most of my career. Because I can and have the full support of those around me who I love and treasure.
    Yesterday I got the latest clearance from my urologist, a huge and long hug from my wife, the promise of a specially-designed and made fleece hoody from one daughter, and a pair fine woolen gloves designed and knit by my other daughter, and the promise of being accompanied at least for a few days by an honourary daughter.
    I am so fortunate!

Bruce Traillium

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++