WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default What is your favorite time of day on the trail?

In addition to hiking through a forest or up on a mountain far away from the noise and busyness of civilization, my favorite time of day on the trail is the very end, when I've finished having dinner and cleaning up, after having brushed my teeth and doing a sponge bath, after making myself comfortable in my sleeping bag, feeling fresh and clean (if that's possible), and if not too exhausted, settling into a good book by the light of my headlamp . . . . ahhh. . . bliss. . . .

While I do enjoy the evening time, and a good book myself. My favorite time is to wake just before dawn and watch the sunrise. I enjoy laying in my hammock, tarp out in porch mode facing East, and seeing the first hints of dawn come across the sky.

Images

Definitely sunrise.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

In the morning, after a light snow, in my Hammock, watching the sun rise.

RUNT ''13''

Bourbon time !

I also like early morning, in high summer being on the trail just before sunrise.

The only downside is that I'm the first one to encounter the spider webs that were constructed overnight.

For me, the period of time I get up until I retire is my favorite time of day. There are things I enjoy each hour that can be different from the hour(s) before. Since being on a trail is in the moment, pretty much any moment is my most enjoyable.

My favorite time is the first hour of walking -- that usually starts about an hour after first light for me. The physical activity of walking gets those "feel good" substances perking in my body and in that first hour the possibilities for my day can seem limitless.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm for the early morning too. I love feeling the world waking up around me as I walk, me full of energy and with a whole day of hiking ahead.

This is more of a 'summer hiking' thing, however; early morning is somewhat less comfortable from late fall through early spring!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I've never been a "morning person". I hate having to get up at dawn in the summer to beat the heat. I like hiking in the evening as the sun is getting low in the sky and the shadows are getting long.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Very early morning, pre-dawn even, on the trail by myself. It's cool, quiet, and the light is fabulous. Plus that's a good time to see wildlife.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

late afternoon because I am at camp and hiking is done for the day!

I'm the one that clears the cobwebs for the late risers. Though I must confess that I look forward to finally meeting someone coming the opposite direction...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Pulling into camp

In real life I am not a morning person. At all. Sunsets are my thing.

On the trail, it is a different story. My favorite time to hike is the period from first light through sunrise until an hour or so after sunrise. At home, this time comes too early for me to truly enjoy but in the woods it is just magical and I rarely miss it.

Early morning is certainly special, but my favorite thing is lying in my hammock as day changes to night. It's like the whole world is on a dimmer switch. I listen to the birds and the rustle of the wind. Yes, it all happens happens off the trail, too, but I'm usually busy with other things at that time.

I'm not a morning person, and I hate getting up early, but I do find that my favorite time of day is pre-dawn. For hiking (or riding) I prefer an our or two after sun-up during the summer, and a little later for early fall.

Images

Another very early morning, before sun up - as soon as it's light enough to see. SOOO peaceful and the body is feeling great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++