WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Where is Hiking Viking lately?

Does anyone know how he is doing on his winter SOBO...I talked to Okie at the Inn at the Long Trail a couple weeks ago and he said that HikingViking(sorry if I have his trail name not 100%) was in Vermont...anyone have any updates or how to track his progress...haven't seen a trail journal.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The Real Hiking Viking? He's in NY according to his current posts.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The Real Hiking Viking? He's in NY according to his current posts.
    Thanks Elf.

Journal Entries

Thanks for that link.

He's in PA now. His Instagram and Facebook are a bit behind. He's got a snapchat now too. Keeps me entertained at work.

I took his blog posts up to January 16 (to Mahoosuc Notch) in copied form on my last February trip and wrote a small review of his hike. It may be a little critical so I may have to amend it. Why critical? Just couldn't figure out why he would hike 2 or 3 days max and get cold and wet and then routinely bail into a town; and then repeat the whole process all over again. Maybe after the Notch he stuck more to the trail without frequent town visits. Problem is, there are no more blog post of the trail since the Notch????

I haven't been following the blog so I have no idea. I know based on his snapchats he seems to have been on trail more lately, but stopping to visit friends as he passes them. Spent a night with friends in nyc to visit a middle school class a while ago, yesterday he had a zero to be with his family for a birthday party.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I took his blog posts up to January 16 (to Mahoosuc Notch) in copied form on my last February trip and wrote a small review of his hike. It may be a little critical so I may have to amend it. Why critical? Just couldn't figure out why he would hike 2 or 3 days max and get cold and wet and then routinely bail into a town; and then repeat the whole process all over again. Maybe after the Notch he stuck more to the trail without frequent town visits. Problem is, there are no more blog post of the trail since the Notch????
    I get the impression he just enjoys hiking, interacting with people, pictures, and blogging more than he enjoys dedicated camping and practicing long term winter survival techniques. Not good, not bad, just different from how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I get the impression he just enjoys hiking, interacting with people, pictures, and blogging more than he enjoys dedicated camping and practicing long term winter survival techniques. Not good, not bad, just different from how you do it.
    True, hyoh, but I was under the initial impression he was attempting a full-on winter southbound thruhke of the Appalachian Trail and spending more uninterrupted time in the woods. Stupid me. I was eager to see how he dealt with long-term winter hiking and camping along with tent set up and long lonely nights outside in the cold woods. I was eager to see him cross butt cold creeks or hike in a cold rain without getting wet and needing to dry out in a town.

Images

True, hyoh, but I was under the initial impression he was attempting a full-on winter southbound thruhke of the Appalachian Trail and spending more uninterrupted time in the woods. Stupid me. I was eager to see how he dealt with long-term winter hiking and camping along with tent set up and long lonely nights outside in the cold woods. I was eager to see him cross butt cold creeks or hike in a cold rain without getting wet and needing to dry out in a town.
    youve really never hiked in VT, NH or ME have you? this guy came through that in the winter. he can pack it in and go home and hes done something few people have or would ever even consider trying.

I think you're the one qualified to write that book. There are probably people out there who have spent more time in the woods in all sorts of conditions, but those kind of people don't necessarily go online and share their experiences with the world. At the extreme end, Christopher Knight comes to mind, the guy avoided civilization for 27 years living in the Maine woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I think you're the one qualified to write that book. There are probably people out there who have spent more time in the woods in all sorts of conditions, but those kind of people don't necessarily go online and share their experiences with the world. At the extreme end, Christopher Knight comes to mind, the guy avoided civilization for 27 years living in the Maine woods.
    It's really odd that people were generally aware he existed, there were rumors and stories of the hermit for years before he was arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    It's really odd that people were generally aware he existed, there were rumors and stories of the hermit for years before he was arrested.
    Yeah, I was surprised when he finally got caught. I think people underestimated his dedication to not being discovered. No fires for heating, no footprints in snow, no interaction with anyone for any reason.

In Virginia

++ New Posts ++