WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any ideas?? MYO UL Tent with no trekking poles

Normally I tarp it out East, but am doing the HST/Mt. Whitney this summer and don't expect to always find trees for the tarp.
    Since I don't use trekking poles, I'm considering building a tent. Most plans I find require trekking poles, though, which puts me firmly at square one.

Anybody know of good plans for an UL tent that doesn't require trekking poles?? Obviously one or two tent poles is alright, just not trekking...

You can buy carbon fiber tent poles from Six Moon Design and Trarptent. Google "replacement tent poles" and you'll find plenty.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You can buy carbon fiber tent poles from Six Moon Design and Trarptent. Google "replacement tent poles" and you'll find plenty.
    Thanks for the help! Maybe this is obvious, but can tent poles be used for the supports in the same fashion as trekking poles (basically just for vertical lift)? If so, then I think that's the solution.

My only experience with them is using them similar to how you would in a dome tent.

ZPacks has a variety also, depending on how tall you need or want

Quote Originally Posted by vacaloca View Post
    Thanks for the help! Maybe this is obvious, but can tent poles be used for the supports in the same fashion as trekking poles (basically just for vertical lift)? If so, then I think that's the solution.

My only experience with them is using them similar to how you would in a dome tent.
    Yes, that is how the SMD Lunar Solo and ZPacks tents use them

Thank you both! I think I may try and pitch the tarp in the yard using tent poles and see how it turns out. Otherwise at least now I have better ideas for the tent build!

Quote Originally Posted by vacaloca View Post
    Normally I tarp it out East, but am doing the HST/Mt. Whitney this summer and don't expect to always find trees for the tarp.
    Since I don't use trekking poles, I'm considering building a tent. Most plans I find require trekking poles, though, which puts me firmly at square one.

Anybody know of good plans for an UL tent that doesn't require trekking poles?? Obviously one or two tent poles is alright, just not trekking...
    I would say you've found your reason to try trekking poles.

Images

One major advantage in using trekking poles over fixed length sectional poles is that it is very convenient to have poles that telescope and can be adjusted for length (height) when pitching a tarp or a tent that isn't of a tensioned fabric design. With a tarp, you also gain the ability to pitch it at a wide range of heights and different configurations. But yes, you could just get telescoping tent poles. Or remove the handles from of a pair of trekking poles . . .
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-23-2016 at 19:37.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

LightHeart Gear- we have adjustable (aluminum) tent poles - for those that don't use trekking poles.
    http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/...ies/tent-poles

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    I would say you've found your reason to try trekking poles.
    Ha, maybe!

Still, there's something to be said for having free hands when you're walking around

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    One major advantage in using trekking poles over fixed length sectional poles is that it is very convenient to have poles that telescope and can be adjusted for length (height) when pitching a tarp or a tent that isn't of a tensioned fabric design. With a tarp, you also gain the ability to pitch it at a wide range of heights and different configurations. But yes, you could just get telescoping tent poles. Or remove the handles from of a pair of trekking poles . . .
    Thanks for the input! I had never thought about taking the handles off of trekking poles. I'll definitely look into that.

Going down the tent path took me to a floorless pyramid by Jerry Adams on bpl:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f8DTwKvmLK...0/IMG_0435.JPG

If I did my math right it would come in close to 25 oz., all-inclusive, and get the job done for under $150.

Maybe i missed something... Without taking the handles off the hiking/trekking poles, what prevents you from simply packing them like you would a tent pole? It then serves 3 functions, staff, tent pole, splint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++