WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Things to know about Hiking south 1/2 of PA in May

Will be hiking Pen Mar North for 9 days, in mid may.

Anything I need to know or prepare for prior to trip? Camping limitations, spring hunting seasons etc?

Average water supplies?

Must see stuff? Looking to make it to clarks creek about 100 miles north of PenMar
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Spring Turkey Season April 23-May 31
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2

Other seasons open year round.

Images

Much of the trail is on State Game Lands, no loose dogs. Check out the AT Museum on the way thru Pine Grove Furnace State Park.

Water, weather and trail crowding should not be an issue. Check out "the General" also check out how a diversion well works to help the fish at Rausch Gap.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Water, weather and trail crowding should not be an issue. Check out "the General" also check out how a diversion well works to help the fish at Rausch Gap.
    been a minute, but im pretty sure rausch gap is north of clark's creek? though not by a whole lot.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Awesome section. Cool shelters / tent sites at Tumbling Run & Birch Run. You are going to love it.

It will be hot, but that's the nicest section PA has to offer.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Tough down hill into Duncannon. Watch out for that hiker trap (Doyle) on your left going through town.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    been a minute, but im pretty sure rausch gap is north of clark's creek? though not by a whole lot.
    Yes that is correct.

Curious us why you chose Clark's creek as the endpoint. I would do Duncannon or Swatara Gap due to logistics.

As far as scenery, there are some good views on both sides of Duncannon but the rest is just OK. And it pains me to say this since this is my home turf. Would expect no issues with water.

Something I found interesting is that after crossing the Susquehanna from Duncannon and ascending to the ridgeline, you'll see views of the river from both the left and right side of the trail at the same time because the river winds around circuitously. The Susquehanna is the widest and longest river traversed by the AT.

Images

Special points of interest : Appalachian Trail Museum at Pine Grove Furance State Park. Check their open door hours so as not to miss an opportunity to see bits of preserved AT history .

I also would rather end at Duncannon where shuttle options are easier. There you then can get shuttled north , hiking south back into town.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Awesome section. Cool shelters / tent sites at Tumbling Run & Birch Run. You are going to love it.
    I second the comment about Birch Run. If I recall correctly, there is handmade furniture including benches and tables at one of the camp sites, out by the creek. Worth looking around the site even if you don't camp there.

Journal Entries

rocks, rocks, and then more rocks!!!!!!!
    eveready

My end destination is a very rough estimate. My shuttle driver will come get me where ever I call it quits at. Last fall I flew up to CT and walked from dusk till dawn 20 mile days, didn't eat cause of a virus and ruined a good good trip because I was working too hard on an end destination instead of just walking for 9 days and seeing where I end up

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    I second the comment about Birch Run. If I recall correctly, there is handmade furniture including benches and tables at one of the camp sites, out by the creek. Worth looking around the site even if you don't camp there.
    We did Pen Mar to Duncannon in mid-April one year, then Duncannon to Port Clinton in mid-April of another year. It's a nice time to be out.
    I remember Tumbling Run being very nice. Don't remember Birch Run. But Quarry Gap Shelter is still the nicest shelter I think we've ever seen. VERY well kept!

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post
    In my recollection, most of the nastiest rocky sections in PA are north of where the OP plans to end his hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ekeverette View Post

hardly. a couple rocky spots just south of caledonia state park, and agin on the descent into duncannon, otherwise, nope, not really. the area that gives PA its rep is well north of the area being discussed.

Images

Truly consistently crappy PA rocks start North of Rausch. That will be a good section to get done early in the season when Pine Grove Furnace General Store hasn't run out of palatable flavors of Ice Cream 10 min after their weekly delivery. Got stuck there 4th of July weekend and had to eat a 1/2 gallon of Hersheys Cotton Candy Ice Cream. My stomach still hasn't forgiven me.

My only reason for picking this time frame is because I want the leaves to be budded before I hike. Down further south budding week is around may 1-10. the temps in may for duncannon are avg of 70s in may

Images

Perfect time of year to hike. Nice temperatures. Can be a little rainy, but no worries about dry water sources. Rocks are not bad, in my opinion. No big climbs. Overall that 100 miles is pretty darn easy, don't be surprised if you go further even at a casual pace.
    Bring an orange hat or something and be careful if you go off the trail to take care of business in the early morning when turkey hunters will be out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++