WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New here so bear with me

Looked all over the Internet for an answer and made a profile just for this question ..... Anyone ever use fuel tabs with a fancy feast stove as a back up ... Example ... Fancy feast stove with fuel tab dropped in the bottom and carry small amount of alcohol as a back up ... Just looking for input before wasting money on something that fails miserably .... I love the stove but hate figuring out where / how / what in with the alcohol .... Thanks

I've never used esbit tabs, myself, but how expensive can a fancy feast stove be? Its an empty cat food can. Make your own stove and try it.

I have the stove and have been using it with denatured alcohol just looking at alternatives for ease of carrying

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrotter4 View Post
    Looked all over the Internet for an answer and made a profile just for this question ..... Anyone ever use fuel tabs with a fancy feast stove as a back up ... Example ... Fancy feast stove with fuel tab dropped in the bottom and carry small amount of alcohol as a back up ... Just looking for input before wasting money on something that fails miserably .... I love the stove but hate figuring out where / how / what in with the alcohol .... Thanks
    More often people would tend to use alcohol as their primary fuel and maybe keep a few tabs of Esbit as a back up. The tabs give off nasty fumes and leave a residue on your pot. Generally you would use a separate but very lightweight platform to burn them rather than the fancy feast can itself. Like a "Gram Cracker" stove from Trail Designs. But burning inside a can may work - I've never tried it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Never tried it, but I can't imagine an esbit tab would work well in a fancy feast stove due to limited oxygen. Solid fuel stoves are so cheap though, who cares?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    More often people would tend to use alcohol as their primary fuel and maybe keep a few tabs of Esbit as a back up. The tabs give off nasty fumes and leave a residue on your pot. Generally you would use a separate but very lightweight platform to burn them rather than the fancy feast can itself. Like a "Gram Cracker" stove from Trail Designs. But burning inside a can may work - I've never tried it.
    Buzzy nailed it. The smell and residue is the killer issue. I have done it, avoid it and now have a couple of boxes of esbits waiting for the zombie apocalypse.

Noted and this is why I asked lol I'll just stick with alcohol thanks fellas

While we are on the subject of esbit tabs,anyone have tips on lighting them?I actually tried one the other day and was quite impressed with the Power that thing had once I got it lit.I know people mention the smell but it was no worse than cooking with wood from my perspective.Before I drop an esbit in an alcohol stove I would just turn a similar sized empty can upside down and use that for a base.Also,how do Coughlan tabs compare to Esbit tabs?I understand it takes Coughlan to equal an Esbit.What about btu's and fumes for those?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrotter4 View Post
    I love the stove but hate figuring out where / how / what in with the alcohol .... Thanks
    Fuel for alcohol stoves is extremely common ... at least on the AT. It is easy to find especially since you can buy the yellow Heet is nearly every gas station and most convenience stores.

I've never had a problem finding it or figuring out how to carry it.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

The cost of the cat food can stove is essentially zero. Fuel is easy to find and carry. However, the cat food can stove has many drawbacks, but many have used it successfully nevertheless. The biggest problem with alcohol stoves are they have a steeper learning curve to optimize their function and safety than other options.

Images

The esbit won't burn inside a fansey feast stove aka Supercat stove. Not enough oxygen. Won't burn in a Fancee Feest stove either for same reason.

++ New Posts ++