WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Topo Maps

Default Topo Maps

I'm hoping someone out there in the hiking world has a set of 07 AT Topo maps they'd be willing to get rid of.

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The US government does. ;-)

I've done broad searches and haven't come up with anything, do you have a specific site? Thanks for the reply, for some reason, I wasn't notified, so my response was delayed

The ATC (Appalachian Trail Conference) sells topo maps of the AT, but a whole set is pretty expensive. Maps for the AT can be handy, but are hardly necessary for hiking the AT, so most everyone doesn't bother with them.

Figuring out which US Geological survey maps to get is a daunting task and could result in having to buy 100's of them. This is not really practical unless you want a detailed map of a specific area.

A more practical approach is getting electronic maps for use with GPS. There are a number of apps for Android and iPhones (some free) which you can down load maps from and some are specific to the AT.

BTW, unless you enable the option to get notified to responses to a thread, you have to revisit it to see if anyone answered.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This is what I do. For short section hikes it works OK.

go to http://tnlandforms.us/at/googleatm.php

You see a Google Map with all AT shelters marked. Zoom in on the section you want to hike. Click the "+trail" button in the upper-right hand corner to see the current AT overlay. Then use the "map" drop down menu in the upper left to select different map styles. There are several different topo options. I like the "+shaded" option, although others have darker contour lines, if that is important to you. Zoom in or out (+/- tool on the bottom right) to get as much or little resolution as you want. Use the print preview feature of the web browser to make it look the way you want (orientation, scale). Then print.

If you want fancier maps, Postholer.com has some for the AT, and other trails.

If you want to real deal, you can download them from here. Then print them as you see fit.

Have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Another option is to go into caltopo and "import" a google-earth "kml" file of AT shelters (google it, I forget where I found it).

Once that is imported, this shows clearly the AT shelters and hence the AT on caltopo.

Start at springer, do a caltopo "print" and adjust the size of the window you want printed and make a PDF. Then use the mouse to continually pan the window up the trail, following along the shelter path (because sometimes the AT in caltopo isn't obvious), and "print" each little section all along the way. I say "print" because what I really mean is form a PDF file of each little section using the caltopo print option. save all these PDF's and print them at your leisure, or just load them into your phone, whatever. you can do this at any scale you choose, using a full 1:24000 (7.5 minute) scale would be a lot of PDF's though.

I just tried this and it works well, though it would take quite some time to do the whole AT.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Another option is to go into caltopo and "import" a google-earth "kml" file of AT shelters (google it, I forget where I found it).

Once that is imported, this shows clearly the AT shelters and hence the AT on caltopo.

Start at springer, do a caltopo "print" and adjust the size of the window you want printed and make a PDF. Then use the mouse to continually pan the window up the trail, following along the shelter path (because sometimes the AT in caltopo isn't obvious), and "print" each little section all along the way. I say "print" because what I really mean is form a PDF file of each little section using the caltopo print option. save all these PDF's and print them at your leisure, or just load them into your phone, whatever. you can do this at any scale you choose, using a full 1:24000 (7.5 minute) scale would be a lot of PDF's though.

I just tried this and it works well, though it would take quite some time to do the whole AT.
    I have used this. I like the caltopo print option. It gives better results than the screen print method I posted earlier. I was able to upload an AT overlay, but on I couldn't get it to print. On the print screen, it wouldn't let me include an uploaded layer. It said I could print overlays if I pay for upgraded access. I am doing a section in SNP so the AT trace on the topo map is pretty accurate. I will just mark it by hand using the on-line map with the AT trace as a guide. Using the 1:25,000 scale, it took 7 maps to cover my 40 mile section. For a longer hike, that would be a lot of printing.

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the input.
    I'm not looking for them to do a hike(Completed mine in '07). I'm hoping to be able to work them to a common scale and use them as a room border, marking all of the places I stayed

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck.

Images

agreed! any luck with it?

In late 07 or early 08 I purchased, from the ATC, the "official" map set for each state. Send me a PM and we may be able to come to terms on these maps. If these are what you are looking for?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I have a partial 06 set of the fold out pamphlet style AT maps. I'll give them to you free for wall paper if you want. But, can't send them out to you until another 2 wks. PM me if interested

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt07 View Post
    Thanks everybody! I appreciate all of the input.
    I'm not looking for them to do a hike(Completed mine in '07). I'm hoping to be able to work them to a common scale and use them as a room border, marking all of the places I stayed
    Nice, way to think outside the box...no pun intended...okay it was.

++ New Posts ++