WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Sleeping Cloths, Base Layer, etc.

Hey guys

I am having a bit of a issue picking out my sleeping cloths/warmth base layer for my section hike across va starting in may.

My original idea was just to get a pair of athletic pants to use. Now, I am not so sure.

What would you recommend? Are a warm base layer even needed during that time?

Should I be okay with my puff jacket, hiking shorts, sleeping shorts, two pairs of socks, hiking shirt, and sleeping shirt during the time of early may in Virginia?

Thanks,
    Cara

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    Hey guys

I am having a bit of a issue picking out my sleeping cloths/warmth base layer for my section hike across va starting in may.

My original idea was just to get a pair of athletic pants to use. Now, I am not so sure.

What would you recommend? Are a warm base layer even needed during that time?

Should I be okay with my puff jacket, hiking shorts, sleeping shorts, two pairs of socks, hiking shirt, and sleeping shirt during the time of early may in Virginia?

Thanks,
    Cara
    I almost always bring a pair of light weight long underwear (top and bottom). If it has been raining all day and windy and you get to camp cold and wet, it is nice to have them (possible in May). I also bring a very light pair of shorts to sleep in most of the time.

I always take a pair of silk weight tops/bottoms. Nothing better than putting on comfortable clean clothes before bed.

Only suggestion I would make is to have a beanie with you. If the temps overnight are chilly that can be a good way to retain/regulate some heat.

You offered nothing else about your sleep system.

In general in May on the southern/mid Atlantic AT most would get along with what you have .

I would want something lightweight to cover my legs, both in camp and while in the sleeping bag. I bring along a pair of light windpants for that purpose. I'd stick to hiking in shorts at that time of year. Definitely bring a hat.

Images

I like to have dry clothes for camp and sleeping, and they are almost always long sleeve/long john bottoms made from the lightest 150-wt merino wool. This is comfortable in both cool and warm weather, keeps me from sticking to my sleeping bag in the summer, and warmer in the bag when the temps drop in late spring.

That said, what you have would work for a lot of hikers.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

I always have a base layer with me whether I think I need it or not. It's just part of my kit. You probably won't need it at that time but it makes for good sleeping if your clothes are soaking wet from rain or such. I usually just sleep in what I'm wearing and what I hike in. It usually dries up in an hour to after stop hiking.

++ New Posts ++